Next console generation TVs

Cheers mate. Presumably the ps5 doesn't, if so that's made my decision nice and easier.

Currently I've found it impossible to choose; really like the sound of the PlayStation controller, and they seemed to have more exclusives last gen (I had xbox one and sort of wished I'd had ps4). Xbox had the advantage of being able to play my old games, not needing to buy a new controller, and having the game pass which is canny. So they're pretty equal, I had a ps1 and 2 before moving to xbox so certainly not wedded to any manufacturer. In terms of exclusives I did love final fantasy 7 back in the day so tempted by PS5 having FF16. But if series x is the only one that will let me play 120fps which I think will look a lot better, I think that's a bit enough differentiator to go for it. Don't know why but I was really leaning towards ps5 as well!
There aren't that many 120fps games available just yet but some older ones are being updated with it,Gears of War 5 and Halo: MCC are the main ones but they recently added 120fps to COD Warzone and Rocket League on Xbox only because it only requires a small patch whereas on PS5 it would need to be released as a new PS5 game to support 120fps. FF16 is only a timed exclusive for PS btw, it'll be out on PC/Xbox around early 2021.

Any one suffered burn in with OLEDs? Heard that burn in is covered in the extended warranty. Not one for getting extended warranties but I will if I get a OLED. Five years should be fine!

Any one suffered burn in with OLEDs? Heard that burn in is covered in the extended warranty. Not one for getting extended warranties but I will if I get a OLED. Five years should be fine!
Wouldn't worry about burn in too much with the newer OLEDs, unless you play one game constantly and then the HUD elements may become a problem at some point.

Wouldn't worry about burn in too much with the newer OLEDs, unless you play one game constantly and then the HUD elements may become a problem at some point.

Still think it might be piece of mind. Especially with logos on Netflix and iptv.

Cheers mate. Presumably the ps5 doesn't, if so that's made my decision nice and easier.

Currently I've found it impossible to choose; really like the sound of the PlayStation controller, and they seemed to have more exclusives last gen (I had xbox one and sort of wished I'd had ps4). Xbox had the advantage of being able to play my old games, not needing to buy a new controller, and having the game pass which is canny. So they're pretty equal, I had a ps1 and 2 before moving to xbox so certainly not wedded to any manufacturer. In terms of exclusives I did love final fantasy 7 back in the day so tempted by PS5 having FF16. But if series x is the only one that will let me play 120fps which I think will look a lot better, I think that's a bit enough differentiator to go for it. Don't know why but I was really leaning towards ps5 as well!

Whats the significance of this 120fps thing? Ive never heard it mentioned before this thread
Still think it might be piece of mind. Especially with logos on Netflix and iptv.

The screen saver comes on anyway??

Whats the significance of this 120fps thing? Ive never heard it mentioned before this thread

120fps is how many frames per second a game can put out via your TV, the more frames you get the smoother the game play is. Check this video out, it shows in slow motion the difference between 30fps, 60fps and 120fps

Aye, as others have mentioned it's how many frames are processed per second. So if there's 120 frames every second it should look much smoother than if there's only 60.

The problem I've had is that in order to do 4k picture at 120fps you need HDMI2.1 which my tele doesn't have.

I'm not too worried about that if it will instead just do 1080p at 120fps (which my tele can handle). Ultimately its only a 55 inch screen so I doubt I'll be able to tell much difference between 4k and 1080p from the distance I sit at.

Trouble is, from what I've read, some ps5 games might be set up for 4k at 120fps but people have said that if your tele can't handle it (like mine can't) the only option you have is 4k at 60fps.

Apparently xbox might, when the tele can't cope with 4k 120fps, automatically do it at 1080p 120fps. That would mean I could either choose the higher resolution but at a lower fps (4k at 60) or the lower resolution at the higher fps (1080p at 120fps).

If that's right then I'd rather get the xbox. I reckon the games will look a lot better at the higher fps rate, even if the resolution is "only" the full HD one. Like I say, with a screen that isn't massive I doubt the resolution will be too noticeable.

Aye, as others have mentioned it's how many frames are processed per second. So if there's 120 frames every second it should look much smoother than if there's only 60.

The problem I've had is that in order to do 4k picture at 120fps you need HDMI2.1 which my tele doesn't have.

I'm not too worried about that if it will instead just do 1080p at 120fps (which my tele can handle). Ultimately its only a 55 inch screen so I doubt I'll be able to tell much difference between 4k and 1080p from the distance I sit at.

Trouble is, from what I've read, some ps5 games might be set up for 4k at 120fps but people have said that if your tele can't handle it (like mine can't) the only option you have is 4k at 60fps.

Apparently xbox might, when the tele can't cope with 4k 120fps, automatically do it at 1080p 120fps. That would mean I could either choose the higher resolution but at a lower fps (4k at 60) or the lower resolution at the higher fps (1080p at 120fps).

If that's right then I'd rather get the xbox. I reckon the games will look a lot better at the higher fps rate, even if the resolution is "only" the full HD one. Like I say, with a screen that isn't massive I doubt the resolution will be too noticeable.

I think youre overthinking it. Get the console with the games you want to play. I was an XBox gamer as I liked FPS's and my mates had it. Now ive got no mates and im more into action adventure so I moved to PS4

Don’t know how accurate it is, but I’ve watched a few YouTube videos claiming ps5 games will have a choice between graphics mode (4K at 60fps) or performance mode (1080p at 120fps).

I’ve just got the ps5 as I’m a bit of a Sony fanboy, and I’m impressed so far.

I think youre overthinking it. Get the console with the games you want to play. I was an XBox gamer as I liked FPS's and my mates had it. Now ive got no mates and im more into action adventure so I moved to PS4
This for me too. The PS5 controller sounds much more like something that will make a difference to me than perceived smoothness in games that you prob won’t notice unless playing competitive e sports.

each to their own tho.

I've downloaded Borderlands 3 on PS5 this morning and it's a massive upgrade on the ps4 version. I thought it looked a bit smoother then have since read that it's been upgraded to run at 120fps on PS5 or 60 if your TV isn't capable. The clunky menus and loading screens are a thing of the past too. I can't overstate the value of the PS5 controller though. The slight rumble when sprinting, a bigger jolt when falling from a building, the buzz effect when firing an automatic and a massive jolt when firing a rocket launcher - incredible.

Any games playing 120 FPS at 4k on the ps5 won't be native 4k anyway I wouldn't worry.

The ps5 is roughly a 2080ti a 2080ti can't do 120fps 4k ultra in last gen games. Ps5 games doing 120fps will be checkerboard 4k so you'd be losing out graphically anyway

I am not sure what to go for monitor wise

i have seen this I like the look of

and this has been recommended

Which one would the Xbox series x run better on?

Alternatively what TV would be ideal for Xbox?

I am not sure what to go for monitor wise

i have seen this I like the look of

and this has been recommended

Which one would the Xbox series x run better on?

Alternatively what TV would be ideal for Xbox?

That's all opinions that mate not a technical answer really.

I think the difference between 1440p and 4k is minimal so I'd opt for the ultrawide. You'd get more of a wow factor from the ultra wide

I bought a new telly just for this purpose.

This was the cheapest one from a reputable brand I could find with HDMI 2.1:

It's come down £120 since I bought mine just over a week ago FFS.

I bought a new telly just for this purpose.

This was the cheapest one from a reputable brand I could find with HDMI 2.1:

It's come down £120 since I bought mine just over a week ago FFS.
Worth getting in touch with them mate. My mam and dad bought an iPad from John Lewis Newcastle on a friday and they released the new version on the Monday. I told my dad to get in touch with them and they offered him a swap for the newer one or a few quid back. Usually get top quality service in JL tbh.

Back