Next console generation TVs

Wild Card

Winger
Is anyone getting a new TV for their next gen console?

My tv is ten year old so I was going to replace it. Thinking that I might as well get one that will get the best out of the new consoles even though I won't be getting the ps5 for a while yet.

Has anyone got their eye on a particular tv?

I have red that you need a hdmi 2.1 port and 120hz ... resolution? I'm not sure if I should wait and see if there are more TVs out by the time I get a console or get one in the black Friday/cyber Monday sales.

I know waiting will probs be best but I really can't take another celebrity jungle thing with ant and dec and with a new TV I will go into a different room with the old/new.one.

What's everyones thoughts?

I will be.

Going to wait the better part of a year though as the options are pretty limited unless you want to spend £1k minimum (Your probably talking £1,200-£1,400 without compromises elsewhere).

I will be.

Going to wait the better part of a year though as the options are pretty limited unless you want to spend £1k minimum (Your probably talking £1,200-£1,400 without compromises elsewhere).

Yeah you are right. Given how these things are priced and how they come down, it would be daft to get one roughly a year before I get the console.

The prices you have quoted are what I'm finding without compromise.

I will just wait, I think. No point having a TV like that to play the last of us online for another year.

Yeah you are right. Given how these things are priced and how they come down, it would be daft to get one roughly a year before I get the console.

The prices you have quoted are what I'm finding without compromise.

I will just wait, I think. No point having a TV like that to play the last of us online for another year.
Amazingly it's the Mrs that wants a new TV.

We have a 12 year old 37inch HD one in the bedroom and she wants to upgrade the living room so she can click the 4k one in there.

I've said unless it's got the feature support for next gen consoles now isn't the time

Mine is running 60hz on 4K with the new Xbox. Got to say warzone is unreal compared to the Xbox one graphics wise. I’m hoping Fifa will be a huge upgrade come it’s update in December.

Is anyone getting a new TV for their next gen console?

My tv is ten year old so I was going to replace it. Thinking that I might as well get one that will get the best out of the new consoles even though I won't be getting the ps5 for a while yet.

Has anyone got their eye on a particular tv?

I have red that you need a hdmi 2.1 port and 120hz ... resolution? I'm not sure if I should wait and see if there are more TVs out by the time I get a console or get one in the black Friday/cyber Monday sales.

I know waiting will probs be best but I really can't take another celebrity jungle thing with ant and dec and with a new TV I will go into a different room with the old/new.one.

What's everyones thoughts?

If you want a TV and not a monitor I can't see prices falling lower than 800 to 1000 plus for a while I think could be wrong tho only the LG cx plays 4k at 120 frames per second at the minute.

LG only make a limited number before releasing the next upgrade. So you won't be able to pick up a new cx in 2023 for example.

If anything OLEDs have never been cheaper I can't see them dropping much lower while LCD TVs are still going for 800 quid

I'm a bit gutted, spent far too much (for me) on a tele just before the world Cup (was an LG oled55b7v, think it was a grand and a half, just because I'd had an argument with the missus and she said she didn't want to go on holiday with me that year, so I thought fuck it and spent what would have been my half of the money on a good tele for the football). Its got the 120hz but only has hdmi 2.0, so if I want to get the very best out of a new console when I get one I'll need another bloody television with 2.1. Hopefully it'll still look canny on my current one but it's reminded me never to spend much on a tele cos it'll be out of date before you know it!

Me and a mate went out and bought ourselves an Oled in August, absolutely brings my PS4 pro to life. My mate actually went and bought a 75 inch OLED 2 weeks after buying his initial OLED as was so impressed with it. We are not fans of Fifa, prefer PES, but we absolutely love Fifa on PS4 pro and the OLED, feels like next gen gaming experience. I honestly after seeing the OLED at work, would not recommend next gen console till you can get a high spec tv or OLED. However maybe it is just because I have now seen how good pictures can be, and just can't go back, if you have not seen top spec tv's at work then it is one of those things you do not realise you're missing.

Last edited:
I'm a bit gutted, spent far too much (for me) on a tele just before the world Cup (was an LG oled55b7v, think it was a grand and a half, just because I'd had an argument with the missus and she said she didn't want to go on holiday with me that year, so I thought fuck it and spent what would have been my half of the money on a good tele for the football). Its got the 120hz but only has hdmi 2.0, so if I want to get the very best out of a new console when I get one I'll need another bloody television with 2.1. Hopefully it'll still look canny on my current one but it's reminded me never to spend much on a tele cos it'll be out of date before you know it!

I honestly wouldn't worry about it. Your TV is still good enough for 4k 60fps

The graphics card inside the ps5 isn't good enough to throw out 4k 120fps. They may bring a ps5 pro version later that can but your TV is more than good enough for the ps5

I honestly wouldn't worry about it. Your TV is still good enough for 4k 60fps

The graphics card inside the ps5 isn't good enough to throw out 4k 120fps. They may bring a ps5 pro version later that can but your TV is more than good enough for the ps5

I'm actually trying to find something out at the minute. I can't work out whether to get ps5 or xbox series x. Some are suggesting that on the ps5 if you don't have hdmi 2.1 you're stuck with just getting 60fps. Apparently my tele won't be able to get 4k 120fps but should be able to get 1080p at 120 fps which I imagine would be perfectly good! Seems like ps5 only gives the option for 60fps if you can't get 4k 120 though. If the xbox allows games to run at 120fps at 1080p then that's the one I'll go for. Sounds like most games won't run at 4k 120fps for a good while anyway. Can't find confirmation on if the xbox will do the 120fps at 1080 though

I'm actually trying to find something out at the minute. I can't work out whether to get ps5 or xbox series x. Some are suggesting that on the ps5 if you don't have hdmi 2.1 you're stuck with just getting 60fps. Apparently my tele won't be able to get 4k 120fps but should be able to get 1080p at 120 fps which I imagine would be perfectly good! Seems like ps5 only gives the option for 60fps if you can't get 4k 120 though. If the xbox allows games to run at 120fps at 1080p then that's the one I'll go for. Sounds like most games won't run at 4k 120fps for a good while anyway. Can't find confirmation on if the xbox will do the 120fps at 1080 though
Series x does

But youve got an OLED mate. Absolutely class

LG cx seems the best bet, hdmi 2.1 which is 4k 120hz, excellent response rate at input lag. Also has earc aswell which is great for sending sounds back to your av or capable sound bar. £1300 gets you the 55. Bit sickening when you have paid £2k only 2 years ago and its obviously moved on from then. Good job I don't play in games

I'm just getting a cheap/mid range 4k telly for the time being. Hopefully in a couple of years or so HDMI 2.1 TVs will be more common and a bit cheaper. There should be more games running 4k 120fps then as well

Both of the new Xbox consoles allow you to play at 120fps at 1080 or 1440p if you only have HDMI 2.0.

Both of the new Xbox consoles allow you to play at 120fps at 1080 or 1440p if you only have HDMI 2.0.

Cheers mate. Presumably the ps5 doesn't, if so that's made my decision nice and easier.

Currently I've found it impossible to choose; really like the sound of the PlayStation controller, and they seemed to have more exclusives last gen (I had xbox one and sort of wished I'd had ps4). Xbox had the advantage of being able to play my old games, not needing to buy a new controller, and having the game pass which is canny. So they're pretty equal, I had a ps1 and 2 before moving to xbox so certainly not wedded to any manufacturer. In terms of exclusives I did love final fantasy 7 back in the day so tempted by PS5 having FF16. But if series x is the only one that will let me play 120fps which I think will look a lot better, I think that's a bit enough differentiator to go for it. Don't know why but I was really leaning towards ps5 as well!

Back