Newcastle Restaurants?

I've always booked, I guess you could turn up but it's really popular at the moment so you might have to go for a pint in the Cluny while you wait

Can honestly say that the steak in Porterhouse is as good as i have had in Gaucho, Hawksmoor, Harrods or Smith & Wolensky.

If you are eating steak in London, go to Goodman. I think it is much better than those listed. Go to the Mayfair one, not the one in the City or at Canary Wharf.

Only been to Porterhouse the once, thought it was "fine". Feels a bit odd eating in a shop.

i presume they're trying to do what i've seen at KaDeWe (Kaufhaus des Westens) in Berlin where its blurred between a shop\market\cafe\restaurant...

What I didn't like was the lack of bogs - had to go upstairs for a slash. It's a good idea having restaurants in shops, but at least have the toilets close by the restaurants.

If you are eating steak in London, go to Goodman. I think it is much better than those listed. Go to the Mayfair one, not the one in the City or at Canary Wharf.

Only been to Porterhouse the once, thought it was "fine". Feels a bit odd eating in a shop.

Never heard of Goodman however will be trying it, thanks for that. The setting in the store is a bit odd the first time but get used to it. Nice bottle of red helps!

Never heard of Goodman however will be trying it, thanks for that. The setting in the store is a bit odd the first time but get used to it. Nice bottle of red helps!

I couldn’t recommend it enough. Go to the one on Maddox Street (off Regent Street). The ones at Canary Wharf and in the City have a different clientele, not as good in my view. Prices are on a par with Hawksmoor, Smith and Wollensky so not cheap but better than those two. For example, there is a better choice of steak. Hawksmoor just does steak from the UK. Goodman features US, Scottish and English and often has loads of specials on, stuff from
Ireland, Galicia, Australian Wagyu and I’ve even had a Polish steak in the Canary Wharf branch.

Blacklock is good too.

I couldn’t recommend it enough. Go to the one on Maddox Street (off Regent Street). The ones at Canary Wharf and in the City have a different clientele, not as good in my view. Prices are on a par with Hawksmoor, Smith and Wollensky so not cheap but better than those two. For example, there is a better choice of steak. Hawksmoor just does steak from the UK. Goodman features US, Scottish and English and often has loads of specials on, stuff from
Ireland, Galicia, Australian Wagyu and I’ve even had a Polish steak in the Canary Wharf branch.

Blacklock is good too.

Not sure how we not tried, or even seen, to be honest. It is close to Liberty's (the gaffers shopping destination of choice) so must have passed it dozens of times in the last few years!!

It is on the list for the January Sales visit to London.

Theres a Greek place on the big market. Cheap and cheerful but the food is great.

Just noticed the plastic proddy has recommended it above too. Kafeneon.

Last edited:
House of tides is nice. Very pleased with my steak at tomahawk on the quayside last year
i'd heard tomahawk was a bit over priced for what you were served? heard that from three different people - told that they do a specials menu during the day which was more reasonable compared to whats served...

i'd heard tomahawk was a bit over priced for what you were served? heard that from three different people - told that they do a specials menu during the day which was more reasonable compared to whats served...

Only been in once but I thought the price was about right, not cheap but a very nice steak. I tried the old trick of leaving it up to the chef to decide how it should be cooked. You don’t really need to bother with entree either as the steak and included sides are very filling so factor that into price.

Back