Newcastle away New Years Day 1985

Status
Not open for further replies.

Are they though? it is getting sexed up beyond belief.

Well there's two ways to look at it 1) Both mags and mackems are saying both clubs were as bad as each other, and 2) A small group of mackems are claiming NUFC were much worse.

Any idea why some SAFC fans may want to portay NUFC fans in this way ? It's unfortunatly sweeping this board at the minute.

Well there's two ways to look at it 1) Both mags and mackems are saying both clubs were as bad as each other, and 2) A small group of mackems are claiming NUFC were much worse.

Any idea why some SAFC fans may want to portay NUFC fans in this way ? It's unfortunatly sweeping this board at the minute.

If you don't like it, fuck off back to a Mag forum

Do you have any comments on the article written by a skunk fan in the OP marra ?

Are they though? it is getting sexed up beyond belief.

Aye and you've made such a big f***ing deal of trying to say one was worse than the other which, according to many on here from both sides is utter bullshit.

"Our racists aren't as racist as their racists" :lol:

for fucks sake man, thought you were a grown-up.

Answers the question perfectly.

Good

Aye and you've made such a big f***ing deal of trying to say one was worse than the other which, according to many on here from both sides is utter bullshit.

"Our racists aren't as racist as their racists" :lol:

for fucks sake man, thought you were a grown-up.

Not my intention, my intention was to not allow us to be tarred as badly as some are trying to suggest. I didn't start the thread, I just reacted to some trying to make us out as Nazis. We are not.

Can I have a quick show of hands as to how many were at the match in question? NYD 1986 that is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have any comments on the article written by a skunk fan in the OP marra ?

I echo it completly, it was terrible and we've done well to kick it out for the most part. I just wonder why they didn't use the Sol Campbell bit about Roker Park, it is a Sunderland forum after all.Or do you think it's just derdging up any old stuff to make NUFC look bad when your lot are just as guilty as anyone else.

Good

Not my intention, my intention was to not allow us to be tarred as badly as some are trying to suggest. I didn't start the thread, I just reacted to some trying to make us out as Nazis. We are not.

Can I have a quick show of hands as to how many were at the match in question? NYD 1986 that is.

I was there. A wing paddock. I was 18.

No, but neither should it be sexed up beyond belief.

Which is what Ged has a tendency to do imo.

I'd be careful with the usual 'he's a mag, why would he exaggerate' because that article is written soley with political purposes in mind and he would happily portray mags to be worse than they are to further his point.

I echo it completly, it was terrible and we've done well to kick it out for the most part. I just wonder why they didn't use the Sol Campbell bit about Roker Park, it is a Sunderland forum after all.Or do you think it's just derdging up any old stuff to make NUFC look bad when your lot are just as guilty as anyone else.

My point entirely, we weren't.
Chelsea, Leeds, Millwall and Newcastle were big on it, we weren't.
I refuse to join in this " we were all at it" crap cos it wasn't true. We had arseholes yes, but not on as big a scale as others.
If we are all the same, are Luton and Watford fans as bad as Millwall?

I was there. A wing paddock. I was 18.

NYD 1985 I course meant.
And how do you recall it?

I refuse to join in this " we were all at it" crap cos it wasn't true. We had arseholes yes, but not on as big a scale as others.

And yet even other SAFC fans are telling you otherwise. Wonder why that is ?

NUFC fans displayed far worse racist behaviour than SAFC in that period of time. There was never anything at Roker that came close to 1985 or the Bobby Barnes incidents. I would say though that its not that their fans were more racist people just simply that for a period of time SAFC had a number of black players playing for them while NUFC didnt. Perhaps it was simply that we didnt have a home derby match with all white players with NUFC having black players in their ranks?

Anyone though who compares the likes of giving monkey noises to Bryan Small / Crooks / Hilaire in terms of scale with what happened on 1st January 1985 really hasnt got a clue what they are talking about or more to the point simply werent there to experience it.

Which is what Ged has a tendency to do imo.

I'd be careful with the usual 'he's a mag, why would he exaggerate' because that article is written soley with political purposes in mind and he would happily portray mags to be worse than they are to further his point.

I cannot speak on other things he has said, but I was there that day.

NYD 1985 I course meant.

All I would say is I have three family members who stopped going to games in the 70s/ 80s due to violence and racism at the games and I've heard many a story from older generation SAFC fans of being ashamed by songs of 'he's a wog a wog etc'...

Though before my time I'll admit.

And yet even other SAFC fans are telling you otherwise. Wonder why that is ?

I am saying they are sexing it up. I am not denying it. If anything, you lot are trying to downplay it by saying we were as bad. We never were.

All I would say is I have three family members who stopped going to games in the 70s/ 80s due to violence and racism at the games and I've heard many a story from older generation SAFC fans of being ashamed by songs of 'he's a wog a wog etc'...

Though before my time I'll admit.

For fucks sake
No one is saying it did not happen at Roker, but I for one won't have us painted as the Hitler Youth.

NYD 1985 I course meant.

The racism aspect is worse in retrospect as it was pretty much par for the course then. I don't remember many SAFC fans complaining too much about the racism after the game. I missed the other nastiness of it as I went straight to the game from the local.

I am saying they are sexing it up. I am not denying it. If anything, you lot are trying to downplay it by saying we were as bad. We never were.

For fucks sake
No one is saying it did not happen at Roker, but I for one won't have us painted as the Hitler Youth

Agreed- and it was always a vocal minority? But isn't the same true at Newcastle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back