New Zealand v England 1st test starts 16 Feb at 1am on BT Sports

The more games we win playing this aggressive style, the less resistance to go back to the way we were playing.

If we win The Ashes playing like this could be the blueprint for all teams to approach test cricket this way.

Which can only be good for test cricket and the watching public.

I thought the first Innings score from us was too low. What do I know 🤔
We definitely left a lot of runs out there I was annoyed, as NZ could have easily put a lot more on if they survived that evening period better. I’d say we got gifts from Conway,Mitchell and Bracewell the following day also.

Obviously the situation with the pink ball under lights it made sense we went hard first day in the hope we’d get them 3/4 down under lights with enough runs on the board.

I hope they go in with the mindset next test that NZ can be flat as fuck and if we’re set in the first innings we want 500+ and not sub 400 to make it more entertaining to phrase our captain.

I don’t think the soundbites we’ve heard so far about we’d rather lose than draw playing entertaining cricket will wash if we lose the Ashes next summer or surrender meekly in India in 2024.

I’ve just seen Australia throw away game they were on top on in India by playing some ridiculous shots. Some shocking sweeps and the one from Cummins was Shannon Gabriel esque,albeit not quite the same situation of the gam.

We definitely left a lot of runs out there I was annoyed, as NZ could have easily put a lot more on if they survived that evening period better. I’d say we got gifts from Conway,Mitchell and Bracewell the following day also.

Obviously the situation with the pink ball under lights it made sense we went hard first day in the hope we’d get them 3/4 down under lights with enough runs on the board.

I hope they go in with the mindset next test that NZ can be flat as fuck and if we’re set in the first innings we want 500+ and not sub 400 to make it more entertaining to phrase our captain.

I don’t think the soundbites we’ve heard so far about we’d rather lose than draw playing entertaining cricket will wash if we lose the Ashes next summer or surrender meekly in India in 2024.

I’ve just seen Australia throw away game they were on top on in India by playing some ridiculous shots. Some shocking sweeps and the one from Cummins was Shannon Gabriel esque,albeit not quite the same situation of the gam.
That screaming Kiwi commentator was pleading for a green pitch next game. Does he think our lads have never seen one before?

We definitely left a lot of runs out there I was annoyed, as NZ could have easily put a lot more on if they survived that evening period

better. I’d say we got gifts from Conway,Mitchell and Bracewell the following day also.

Each to their own mate and respect where you coming from, but I see it differently.

I see our cricket team at the moment to a comparison of my football team I support playing brilliant football and winning games 5 3 and been super entertained and if the odd time we attack too much and get beat 5 4 I will accept that due to the winning games and entertaining I am getting the majority of times.

Just keep going the way they doing I say and will take the rough with the smooth.

I also think it’s great for the game of test cricket as a whole playing this way

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see what happens against the Aussies this summer.

We will still play bazball but I wonder if Australia will try to do the same.

Could be a great series. Would have been even better if it was played during the second half of the summer.

It will be interesting to see what happens against the Aussies this summer.

We will still play bazball but I wonder if Australia will try to do the same.

Could be a great series. Would have been even better if it was played during the second half of the summer.
I hope, in the spirit of aggressive cricket, we subject them to the same levels of intimidation on and off the field, as they do to England teams in Australia.

10 wins out of 11 for Ben and Baz.

People were still twisting about the approach during this game. How long will it take for them to have trust in how we are playing cricket? It’s exciting and its winning games, what more can you want?

As a caveat, I expect it to look daft at some point but if we win more than we lose playing like this then I’m happy to enjoy the ride.

Still pinching myself at what's going on with this team and scared it's all going to be 'found out' somehow. Four series now and it hasn't though.

I'm not sure it will be "found out" as such, but the more success we have with it then the more other sides will adopt the same approach. We'd lose any advantage this style gives us then and it would just come down to who executes it better, but it would certainly make for some exciting games.

There's also the fact that this is a high risk approach and so far our risks are paying off. We're bound to go on a run where they don't. Obviously we are making our own luck, but even in this game we definitely left a lot of runs out there in the first innings and on other days the opposition would have punished us.

You've got to wonder what the various administrators will make of it all - going to be very hard to sell tickets for days 4 and 5, especially if other teams adopt the same approach - even if the games are more entertaining the revenue could take a big hit!

Last edited:

People were still twisting about the approach during this game. How long will it take for them to have trust in how we are playing cricket? It’s exciting and its winning games, what more can you want?

As a caveat, I expect it to look daft at some point but if we win more than we lose playing like this then I’m happy to enjoy the ride.
I was always of the 'test cricket can't be played like ODI' school but when it works home and away and you win ten games out of eleven you have to hold your hands up and admit you were wrong.

What I don't understand is how, when we tried to play like this under Bayliss, it was largely a failure - with regular batting collapses of batsmen getting out to daft shots - yet the same approach is working now.
left a lot of runs out there in the first innings and on other days the opposition would have punished us.

But that was all part of the plan wasn't it? Smash it around at six an over then put them in against the new ball under the lights, which immediately paid dividends with three wickets.

Last edited:

Well that’s it mate, it’s inevitable we will come unstuck and lose some games playing this way.

But the bigger picture is it’s exciting, the players and the fans are loving it.

Personally I am surprised more people are not over the moon and just enjoying the ride!!

I certainly am!!
I was always of the 'test cricket can't be played like ODI' school but when it works home and away and you win ten games out of eleven you have to hold your hands up and admit you were wrong.

What I don't understand is how, when we tried to play like this under Bayliss, it was largely a failure - with regular batting collapses of batsmen getting out to daft shots - yet the same approach is working now.

But that was all part of the plan wasn't it? Smash it around at six an over then put them in against the new ball under the lights, which immediately paid dividends with three wickets.

Just getting the through the first hour or two without looking to score and picking players like Sibley and Hameed for example wasn’t working either and we were regularly 3 down for next to nowt with Root getting us out of the shit time and time again.

Might as well to look to score some runs at the top of the order then just grinding it out and losing wickets anyway like we were.

Last edited:
Each to their own mate and respect where you coming from, but I see it differently.

I see our cricket team at the moment to a comparison of my football team I support playing brilliant football and winning games 5 3 and been super entertained and if the odd time we attack too much and get beat 5 4 I will accept that due to the winning games and entertaining I am getting the majority of times.

Just keep going the way they doing I say and will take the rough with the smooth.

I also think it’s great for the game of test cricket as a whole playing this way
I don't care if we get beat playing entertaining cricket your missing my point.

There needs to be a balance struck. When there's big scores to be had you don't throw away that chance.

If a game needs to take 5 days to win by playing slightly less risky shots then we should adapt when required.

The attacks we've came up against in Pakistan and New Zealand were way down the list as far as their first choice

Ashwin and Jadeja in India is a whole other ball game as is Cummins and co in Australia.

I guess this summer's ashes will be a real litmus test for this whole method. We've not lost a series since 2001 now would be a shame for the most exciting team I think we've had in my time of watching 2003/2004ish to ruin that run.

But I guess it took a ridiculous Ben stokes knock in the mantra we now play to avoid us losing that series anyway so if we've got a whole batting line up doing it then who the fuck knows :lol:

I don't care if we get beat playing entertaining cricket your missing my point.

There needs to be a balance struck. When there's big scores to be had you don't throw away that chance.

If a game needs to take 5 days to win by playing slightly less risky shots then we should adapt when required.

The attacks we've came up against in Pakistan and New Zealand were way down the list as far as their first choice

Ashwin and Jadeja in India is a whole other ball game as is Cummins and co in Australia.

I guess this summer's ashes will be a real litmus test for this whole method. We've not lost a series since 2001 now would be a shame for the most exciting team I think we've had in my time of watching 2003/2004ish to ruin that run.

But I guess it took a ridiculous Ben stokes knock in the mantra we now play to avoid us losing that series anyway so if we've got a whole batting line up doing it then who the fuck knows :lol:

Yeah of course like anything it needs to have the right balance, but would much rather be looking at the positives this team is doing and achieving than focusing or get annoyed with any of the negatives.

I have complete and utter trust with this set up think they deserve it.

Last edited:
I'm not sure it will be "found out" as such, but the more success we have with it then the more other sides will adopt the same approach. We'd lose any advantage this style gives us then and it would just come down to who executes it better, but it would certainly make for some exciting games.

There's also the fact that this is a high risk approach and so far our risks are paying off. We're bound to go on a run where they don't. Obviously we are making our own luck, but even in this game we definitely left a lot of runs out there in the first innings and on other days the opposition would have punished us.

You've got to wonder what the various administrators will make of it all - going to be very hard to sell tickets for days 4 and 5, especially if other teams adopt the same approach - even if the games are more entertaining the revenue could take a big hit!
I'd guess other teams will adapt sooner or later. I don't know how though?

Me too!

But I guess Bazball isn't exactly ODI cricket played over 4 innings. It's ODI batting married to Test match style bowling.

Last edited:

Back