New Zealand bans house sales to non-resident foreigners

Again it isn’t about money, it’s about residential status and nationality.

So a poor person arrives in the UK - no residency and from a different country and probably wanting to the UK to give them somewhere to live - it's wrong of me to suggest that they shouldn't be allowed in.

A rich person arrives in the UK with the intent of buying a house - no residency and from a different country but wants to buy their own house - it's right of me to suggest that they shouldn't be allowed in?

I fail to see how one scenario protects the UK housing stock over the other?

So a poor person arrives in the UK - no residency and from a different country and probably wanting to the UK to give them somewhere to live - it's wrong of me to suggest that they shouldn't be allowed in.

A rich person arrives in the UK with the intent of buying a house - no residency and from a different country but wants to buy their own house - it's right of me to suggest that they shouldn't be allowed in?

I fail to see how one scenario protects the UK housing stock over the other?

Allowed in?

We’re not talking entry to the country mate we’re talking ability to buy a house here.

I may be way off beam here but the area of New Zealand is just slightly larger than that of the UK. The population of UK is about 65.6 million. The population of New Zealand is 4.6 million, and they say they have a problem. Am I missing something? have they not room for another 60 million or so people?

Allowed in?

We’re not talking entry to the country mate we’re talking ability to buy a house here.

I think you need to look a little closer at the detail.

There is one rule for one and one for others in NZ.

If we did that here it would be a massive hypocrisy.

Back