New Zealand 🇳🇿 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 2nd test Wellington

Agree with most of what you say except this bit.

Defeats of any kind hurt. Whether it's cricket, football or a game of cards. True supporters are passionate about their team and although they won't win every game it doesn't make defeat any easier. Yes it's forgotten about later but it's natural to feel gutted.

As the saying goes - show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser.
We have won 11 out of 13 with this super positive risky approach. Do you think a more balanced approach would have seen us thrash India, win in Pakistan on absolute roads? I think playing a more conventional game would have allowed us to demonstrate the good loser tag a bit more often.

Fair enough. We could have bored the tits off the Oakustan public ang got a credible 0-0 draw as many have done in the past. Our team is good, it’s entertaining and it will gamble to win games. It will open itself up to criticism off some but that goes with the territory.

I agree and i'd argue it is our job to entertain all fans. I'm sure people loved watching the WIndies teams of 70s and 80s even when we were getting twatted.

It's not that long ago with Root and Silverwood in charge England declined to chase 250 on the final day. We could always go back to that I guess.

Some very kind words from Southee on how England are playing and what they are doing for test cricket.
Hope the England players are hurting from this loss and make sure never to lose another match like this in future!

I don't think there is a better relationship between two teams in world sports than England and New Zealand in cricket. Always played hard but fair and with a beer together afterwards. I don't expect the same from Australia in the Ashes.

I am not so sure about that cricket in general is more sportsmanship like than say football.

Think the culture is better play hard and appreciate each others good play

I think if we batted again we’d have left New Zealand something chase-able, doubt we’d have just batted them out the game

Stokes sees it differently
Rightly so in my opinion. The way we're playing is about more than just us winning test matches, though clearly that's top priority. It's about making the tests we play sporting events that people want to watch. Show the scorecard to a non-cricket fan and they'll see how close the game actually was; 1,153 runs in the game, and both teams separated by just 1.

What England are doing is securing the future of test cricket by showing how exciting it really is. I've no doubt more people will want to watch the Ashes as a result this summer, and hopefully this style of play will have them firmly embedded in the game so that if we have to kill the match in the 5th test to secure the urn, that in itself will be a different kind of spectacle that will still be enjoyed. Ideally of course we'll be 4-0 up and can Bazball ™️ them to a whitewash.

Rightly so in my opinion. The way we're playing is about more than just us winning test matches, though clearly that's top priority. It's about making the tests we play sporting events that people want to watch. Show the scorecard to a non-cricket fan and they'll see how close the game actually was; 1,153 runs in the game, and both teams separated by just 1.

What England are doing is securing the future of test cricket by showing how exciting it really is. I've no doubt more people will want to watch the Ashes as a result this summer, and hopefully this style of play will have them firmly embedded in the game so that if we have to kill the match in the 5th test to secure the urn, that in itself will be a different kind of spectacle that will still be enjoyed. Ideally of course we'll be 4-0 up and can Bazball ™️ them to a whitewash.

Well said my good man :D

Every word spot on

What England are doing is securing the future of test cricket by showing how exciting it really is.

Ideally of course we'll be 4-0 up and can Bazball ™️ them to a whitewash.
What have you been drinking? It was nice to see a genuinely exciting finish for a change, with all results possible right to the end, but it's a bit of a rarity.

The last four or five pages of this thread have been a really interesting and enjoyable read tonight. No one being antagonistic, all just presenting differing opinions on the same result.
Thought I would feel worse about the defeat then I do, but less than a day after (and whilst dissapointed), bigger picture it didnt mean much from a team point of view or England fan (in context of series, world championship, rivalry etc ) but meant everything to the history and the game of test cricket and the style in which this team will continue to play in.

My two pence worth on the follow on, correct decision, had we batted Stokes would have set them something like 400 in 2 days. Still dont think the declaration was the right call, especially when the result hinged on 1 run...

Had it been India or Australia we lost to I dont think I'd ever emotionally recover from such a loss :lol: :lol:

Thought I would feel worse about the defeat then I do, but less than a day after (and whilst dissapointed), bigger picture it didnt mean much from a team point of view or England fan (in context of series, world championship, rivalry etc ) but meant everything to the history and the game of test cricket and the style in which this team will continue to play in.

My two pence worth on the follow on, correct decision, had we batted Stokes would have set them something like 400 in 2 days. Still dont think the declaration was the right call, especially when the result hinged on 1 run...

Had it been India or Australia we lost to I dont think I'd ever emotionally recover from such a loss :lol: :lol:
I thought the declaration was absolutely spot on, got 10 overs at them before lunch and took 3 wickets. Also caught them by surprise as they weren’t expecting it. The follow on was the crucial decision what was wrong.

Back