New York

We stayed in The Shelburne - Lexington Avenue / E 37th - you can see the Empire State Building from the rooftop bar (only a few blocks away) - also close to Central Station, The Chrysler Building, etc. We walked pretty much everywhere.
We stayed at the Madison Towers Hotel, in the Garment District in mid town Manhattan, which was ideal, with the ESB, MSG, Times Square/Broadway, and Grand Central Station, just a few short blocks away.

Last edited by a moderator:
FAO Schwarz, is a HUGE toy store, on the way to Central Park.
It's a kids (and some grown ups) paradise, and worth a visit.

Cheers. It’s on the to-do list.

We're just packing up to leave now. Drinks are expensive as ever, $9 for a pint of anything and always flat.
Going in Jan but I've heard that there is a rip off tax charge on some hotels - anyone experienced this?

Some hotels include it in the price. We paid it separately, $25 per night, but they gave us a $30 voucher for each night to use in the bar. That only got us one pint and a wine

Still as bat shit crazy as ever. Definitely booking up to come back

Last edited:
I loved it - it's surprising how compact Manhattan actually is.
It's very compact, but distances between points, can be deceiving.
We walked all over, and we'd been to The Windows on the World in the World Trade Center, and then on to Little Italy & Chinatown, for a look around, and decided to walk back to our hotel.
We used the ESB, in the distance, as our guide, and kept walking towards it. . .
We were still walking, an hour later, and were absolutely knackered, so flagged a taxi down, to take us back to the hotel. :lol:

if its not snowing its raining and windy and f***ing cold. means all the hobos keep loitering around indoor public spaces like Port Authority and Penn Station.

Going in Jan but I've heard that there is a rip off tax charge on some hotels - anyone experienced this?
Resort fees they call them - it's an American thing rather than a New York thing. Two trips to three American cities this year and I'm still yet to work out what the frig they're for or how they're worked out.

Last Minute and a few other sites of that ilk at least show you them up front which is helpful.
if its not snowing its raining and windy and f***ing cold. means all the hobos keep loitering around indoor public spaces like Port Authority and Penn Station.
Hottest October days on record when I was there - fuckin' lathered riding me bike ower Brooklyn Bridge hew.
We walked all over, and we'd been to The Windows on the World in the World Trade Center, and then on to Little Italy & Chinatown, for a look around, and decided to walk back to our hotel.
We used the ESB, in the distance, as our guide, and kept walking towards it. . .
We were still walking, an hour later, and were absolutely knackered, so flagged a taxi down, to take us back to the hotel. :lol:
The subway's great like. It's about $30 for a week's pass or summit - pays for itsell.

Last edited:
We went last December and I loved it, definitely go back in the near future. We walked everywhere the first 3 days and I was broke come the 4th, started to use the subway which was easy once you got used to it. Stayed in the Gallivant in times square, think I paid about $25 a night charg and I paid on arrival.

When I do go back I think I would stay outside of times square, anyone recommend a decent hotel or apartments to stay in? Schwarz toy shop was class, I felt like a kid again, bought the little lad some xmas presents out of there.

Resort fees are a way of getting round city tax I think... In our hotel (library Hotel) they gave us free wine and nibbles every night in the bar and that's supposedly how they get away with the resort fee.... Amazed they made any money off me when free wine and cheese was on offer

Yep, I got really sick of stopping to cross the road every two minutes as well. Standing waiting for traffic lights probably accounts for half the walking time.

Pure Thai Cookhouse in Hell's Kitchen - get the beef steamed buns for a starter. 😍 Absolutely class. Jasper's Taphouse ower the road's a canny bar whilst ya there.

Have ya got a New York Pass sorted? Well worth the coin if you're doing the sights.
Quick question on the New York Pass mate. Is there a time limit on it? I’m looking at going in September and there’s currently a sale on on the passes (although it appears to be like the DFS sale). I could have sworn I read it had a 12 month expiry but can’t find it now. There is a 12 month insurance protection you can buy which suggests a 12 month expiry date. When it asks you to select the date you’ll first use it, you can select a date which is more than 12 months away though.

Quick question on the New York Pass mate. Is there a time limit on it? I’m looking at going in September and there’s currently a sale on on the passes (although it appears to be like the DFS sale). I could have sworn I read it had a 12 month expiry but can’t find it now. There is a 12 month insurance protection you can buy which suggests a 12 month expiry date. When it asks you to select the date you’ll first use it, you can select a date which is more than 12 months away though.
You buy it for the days you're there marra. We bought a five day one and you activate it when you visit your first attraction. I can't remember if we entered the dates of our trip on purchase but I'd assume it's valid for the 12 months after purchase.

EDIT: Aye, 12 months...
How far in advance can I buy the New York Pass?
You can purchase the New York Passes up to 12 months in advance. That means that you have a full year to activate your passes by visiting your first attraction. 1 year after your purchase, the passes will no longer be valid if you have yet to activate them.

Last edited:
You buy it for the days you're there marra. We bought a five day one and you activate it when you visit your first attraction.
I get that. But if I was to buy now can I use it in September? I could have sworn I read there was an expiration date from the day you purchase but I can’t find it now. Like I said, there’s a sale on so was gonna buy it to save a few quid but there’s no point if it expires in, say, 6 months.

edit @chriswallace85 just seen your edit.

Really don't know mate. Best bet is to email the company selling it- I assume their website doesn't tell you?

Back