New York

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't bother with a subway pass, if it's your first time walk around, or the hop on hop of buses, you get to see mich more of the city and everywhere is easy to find as the streets and avenues are so well planed out
The wife struggles with her walking so it was useful, plus we stayed a few stops over the river from Manhattan so it was a no brainer for 28 dollars for 5 days. It's a huge city mind, we'll be going back at some point. Nice people also

Get yourself a tour with a Big Apple Greeter.

http://bigapplegreeter.org

You choose the area of NYC where you want a tour and a real New Yorker meets you and gives you a tour of that area showing you the real New York, getting under the skin of this fabulous city.

We chose Brooklyn and our Greeter met us at our hotel on the Upper West Side and gave us all a day pass for the subway for nowt. Once we got to Brooklyn the tour was all on foot. It was a memorable day walking through Prospect Park, Brooklyn Heights, DUMBO, etc. culminating with a walk across Brooklyn Bridge. Our Greeter was was a great bloke, very knowledgeable and very funny.

They're a 'free' service in that they don't take any payment off you. They simply hope you will pay what you think the tour was worth online when you get home. In theory you could give them nowt (we gave £25 a head).

I haven't been for 23 years but I highly recommend Greenwich Village and have a ride up to Queens if you can, the subway is very safe, don't ask to bum a fag though

Ghostbusters firehouse (if the scaffolding is down).

Loads of fantastically themed bars.

Going there for five days soon with the Mrs. Any advice on best things to do and places to eat and drink.
rockefelller center is much better than the empire state buildig. don't forget to look up whilst going up in the lift

staten island ferry is a free view of the statue of liberty

hang around in times square, you can spend a couple of hours just people watching

and this > https://experiencetheride.com/

enjoy bud

Get a 7 day MTA card to use on the metro. Can also use it on the buses.

Download UBER for taxi's.

Use the A train from JFK airport to downtown/midtown.

Loads of things to do FREE!!

If you're looking for a view of NYC, go to the Empire state building. However, if you want a view of the Empire state building, go to the Rockefeller centre and you'll get the empire state behind you.

Walk over Brooklyn Bridge.

Take a walk over the other bridge into lower Manhatten.

Walk through central Park.

Try a Koronet Pizza (they're the size of dustbin lids if not bigger).

2 decent diners to try, Manhatten Diner and Metro Diner near 95th street. Found these last year and they serve good breakfasts!!

Yankkes stadium well worth going to.

I'm going back again in November to run the NYC marathon. Staying in Washington Heights near the Bronx.

Get a 7 day MTA card to use on the metro. Can also use it on the buses.

Download UBER for taxi's.

Use the A train from JFK airport to downtown/midtown.

Loads of things to do FREE!!

If you're looking for a view of NYC, go to the Empire state building. However, if you want a view of the Empire state building, go to the Rockefeller centre and you'll get the empire state behind you.

Walk over Brooklyn Bridge.

Take a walk over the other bridge into lower Manhatten.

Walk through central Park.

Try a Koronet Pizza (they're the size of dustbin lids if not bigger).

2 decent diners to try, Manhatten Diner and Metro Diner near 95th street. Found these last year and they serve good breakfasts!!

Yankkes stadium well worth going to.

I'm going back again in November to run the NYC marathon. Staying in Washington Heights near the Bronx.
also get a cracking view of central park from the Rockefeller center

One world observation deck is superb and the build up to it is great, Statton Island ferry really good, Times Square to people watch, Empire State just because its the Empire State, Central station and Central Park, also loved Chelsea village, and catch a show in the evening

stayed nyc before engkand game in miami couple year back..them hop on hop off tour busses are well worth the money..also if u lile yr stone island k way lacoste etc a shop called care 51 I think is cheap as chips

Going there for five days soon with the Mrs. Any advice on best things to do and places to eat and drink.
It's a very multicultural cosmopolitan city.
Doubt there'd be anything to make you happy.

stayed nyc before engkand game in miami couple year back..them hop on hop off tour busses are well worth the money..also if u lile yr stone island k way lacoste etc a shop called care 51 I think is cheap as chips
Did you get much use of your phrase book?

Fabulous , fabulous city.
So much going on not just in Manhattan but in the other boroughs, especially Queens.
Nowhere is perfect but NYC should be the benchmark for all aspiring big cities

Last edited:
phrase book? and yes I agree I wasnt fussed on going but by time came to fly to miami didnt want to leave stayed opposite maddison sq gardens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back