New York Times quiz which pinpoints where you were born/raised by dialect

Has me down for North East, not too sure why Newcastle upon Tyne is highlighted in bold black though :evil:

Born in Hartlepool and brought up in Durham... but I suppose working in NE1 for the last twenty odd years might have impact.... I need to find a job in Durham to get rid of the conditioning.

30 miles out for me - the computer said ‘stoke on Trent’ but I was raised in another part of Staffordshire.

It’s complicated by a few words that we inherited from our family from the NE.

Had me as boro... Picked words I would have used as a kid until I left the north east.. I could have easily picked other words on quite a few which I'd probably use more now

Let my Mam have a go at this, and basically covered whole of north east area down to Middlesbrough, which is probably about right as she grew up around Wheatley Hill/Thornley.

She seemed well impressed that a few questions picked her area :lol:

who doesn't pronounce but and put the same?
But is always pronounced but as in b u t.
Put can be put. p u t ( golf) as but above, but is usually
p oo t / p eu t.

That was another one it asked, if farm and palm rhyme. I didn't realise there were people who said them the same way.
They rhyme. How do you pronounce them?

The fact i say last like father immediately puts me in the south.

Not sure this quiz will tell us anything we don't know already.

Mind my result put me in the whole of south eastern England from East Anglia down to isle of wight, so a bit generalised.

Tried to fool it with my Mrs(nope), born in London, brought up in south east then South Wales & lived 25 years up here. Map red scored on South Wales & London, pretty good really...

Back