New York Times quiz which pinpoints where you were born/raised by dialect

Interesting that just for seeing how much you changed as you assimilated into a different area.

I was born and brought up in Lancashire/Manchester but only spent my first 21 years there. I've been in the North East for 40 odd years, married to a Geordie and raising 3 Geordie kids and 4 Geordie grandchildren. So, how much of my speech, pronunciation, slang words etc been influenced by my 40 years in the North East as opposed to my 20 in Lancashire?

Very little it seems as that pinpointed me bang on to Manchester/Lancashire so maybe we do stick to our roots after all.

I think that makes a lot of sense. You pick up most of your pronunciation and slang/colloquialisms during childhood and, whilst your accent may well get milder, you don't change your vocabulary much (might add a little) or change how you pronounce words massively (if a bath is a bath at 5, it's still a bath at 55, even if you've lived in many different areas).

I got really specific results for some of the words I chose. Largely North East of England only, with Sunderland and County Durham area in darker red.

Lived in the midlands for 35 ish years now and people say my accent is getting more southern but I didn’t think it had got as far as Middlesbrough yet :evil:

Back