New York SMBer's

Thanks for all the useful tips, just arrived tonight into Jersey City just outside NYC.
Get yourself to grove street in jersey city. Pet shop and barcade are nice bars. Take path into nyc. Depends what you’re into as to where to go. Either wtc Line or 33rd. Get off at 14th street and have a wander. Then it’s easy to get to wherever you want. I’m off today so if you want to buy me a pint.... :lol::lol:

Stop being a Pussy and get yourself down to the Russian Vodka Rooms on west 52nd street for some real life mafia action. Then high-tail it down to NYU and union square and the west village and and head down to one of the rooftop bars to watch the sunset over the Hudson and meet the locals.

Oh wise SMBer's from New York, could do with some local information please.

I will have a day free in NYC Saturday week *** and wanted to get some local advice on what places are like.

I've been to Manhattan a few times, been to Greenwich, Statue of Liberty, 9/11 memorial and museum plus the Circle Line Cruise.

Was thinking of going to Brooklyn, Coney Island or maybe the Bronx as I heard it's a lot better these days.

Any useful suggestions appreciated please.

*** I know, look at me etc pathetic
We were there last week for 8 days... The Met Museum or One World trade tower for views and Art. If its food your after we can recommend a Tapas bar (Beso's) 300 yards from the Staten Island ferry terminal on Staten Island, Club A Steak house or the River Café just under the Brooklyn Bridge in Brooklyn. the last two, expensive but class.

We were there last week for 8 days... The Met Museum or One World trade tower for views and Art. If its food your after we can recommend a Tapas bar (Beso's) 300 yards from the Staten Island ferry terminal on Staten Island, Club A Steak house or the River Café just under the Brooklyn Bridge in Brooklyn. the last two, expensive but class.
If your going anywhere near 21st and 5/6 Aves you may be able to help me out....

Get yourself to grove street in jersey city. Pet shop and barcade are nice bars. Take path into nyc. Depends what you’re into as to where to go. Either wtc Line or 33rd. Get off at 14th street and have a wander. Then it’s easy to get to wherever you want. I’m off today so if you want to buy me a pint.... :lol::lol:

Think I will go into Grove Street later, happy to meet for a beer if you are free? I'm staying near Newport PATH station.

17 years in Brooklyn and I still can't tell people what best to do on a day visit, crap cold and wet days I found a pub, sunny days I went and played golf or chilled in a pub. Best bet is by a NY Time Out magazine, it has lists of things to do broken down by borough.

Can't speak for The Bronx, but Brooklyn now is night and day since I moved in, still some really shit areas, East New York to name one, it really has come along.

Walk the Brooklyn Bridge to Brooklyn, steps down to your left and visit Dumbo, walk along the waterfront through Brooklyn Bridge Park as far as Atlantic Ave, up Atlantic Ave for some food at the chippy, next door to Floyd's for a pint or two. Walk up Henry Street to Montague St, turn fight for my old local Custom House, left for the best view of the city and the Brooklyn Promenade, a great photo location.

Failing that, take the 2/3 RED train to Brooklyn Museum and Botanical Gardens, near Grand Army Plaza and Prospect Park. Or take the subway to Coney Island and visit the beach, not bad in the summer, crap around this time of year. Only thing worth a look in that neck of the woods is the NY Aquarium.

You could do an NYC Ferry from Manhattan to Rockaway and visit the beach, subway back via Atlantic Terminal and visit a bit of Brooklyn from there. In fact you can do that same ferry to Red Hook from Dumbo.

Enjoy.

I'm in the chip shop now, if it's your local area you're welcome to join me for a beer.

Saw the River Cafe thanks, but settled on @Blame Me 's recommendation on the chip shop! Thanks.

Last edited:
Think I will go into Grove Street later, happy to meet for a beer if you are free? I'm staying near Newport PATH station.

I'm in the chip shop now, if it's your local area you're welcome to join me for a beer.

Saw the River Cafe thanks, but settled on @Blame Me 's recommendation on the chip shop! Thanks.

Yup my local area or was for 17 years before I moved to North Carolina a month ago. My local pub was Floyds one or two doors up from the Chip Shop before I decamped to the Custom House on Montague Street.

Pop to Custom House and have one me, tell Barry the bald heeded barman English Dan sent you :)

Enjoy your trip mate :)

It's f***ing brilliant, you'll love it. I was really surprised how much I liked it. Bastard.

As well as what's been listed on here (a lot of which I hadn't known about), have a look at getting the commuter ferry from Manhattan up to Greenpoint or Long Island - it's a great way to see how the city has developed.

Coney Island is a trek from Manhattan, but is quite cool in a kitsch way.

Oh wise SMBer's from New York, could do with some local information please.

I will have a day free in NYC Saturday week *** and wanted to get some local advice on what places are like.

I've been to Manhattan a few times, been to Greenwich, Statue of Liberty, 9/11 memorial and museum plus the Circle Line Cruise.

Was thinking of going to Brooklyn, Coney Island or maybe the Bronx as I heard it's a lot better these days.

Any useful suggestions appreciated please.

*** I know, look at me etc pathetic
Fishing is great this time of the year. The big striped bass are in the area 40lb plus from the shore.

Yup my local area or was for 17 years before I moved to North Carolina a month ago. My local pub was Floyds one or two doors up from the Chip Shop before I decamped to the Custom House on Montague Street.

Pop to Custom House and have one me, tell Barry the bald heeded barman English Dan sent you :)

Enjoy your trip mate :)

I was in Custom House earlier, didn't see the bald headed barman. Was served by Irish girl with blondish/ light brown hair.

Just having a couple of beers at Grove Street now. Will keep it sensible as early morning flight to Tampa tomorrow.

Fishing is great this time of the year. The big striped bass are in the area 40lb plus from the shore.

Not really into fishing tbh but thanks for the info, 40lbs is huge!

This. Easy train ride too.

Brooklyn on the other hand will be f***ing bitter at this time of year mind!

Will be back in May or June when the weather's warmer, so will visit the Bronx plus the zoo.

Brooklyn wasn't too bad today about 5 degrees, but I was well wrapped up tbh.

It's f***ing brilliant, you'll love it. I was really surprised how much I liked it. Bastard.

As well as what's been listed on here (a lot of which I hadn't known about), have a look at getting the commuter ferry from Manhattan up to Greenpoint or Long Island - it's a great way to see how the city has developed.

Coney Island is a trek from Manhattan, but is quite cool in a kitsch way.

I liked Brooklyn, was excellent imo. When I'm back in May or June will visit Coney Island, will try the commuter ferry too. Thanks

Last edited:
I was in Custom House earlier, didn't see the bald headed barman. Was served by Irish girl with blondish/ light brown hair.

Just having a couple of beers at Grove Street now. Will keep it sensible as early morning flight to Tampa tomorrow.

Not really into fishing tbh but thanks for the info, 40lbs is huge!

Will be back in May or June when the weather's warmer, so will visit the Bronx plus the zoo.

Brooklyn wasn't too bad today about 5 degrees, but I was well wrapped up tbh.

I liked Brooklyn, was excellent imo. When I'm back in May or June will visit Coney Island, will try the commuter ferry too. Thanks

That'll of been Eva, lovely lass. The other one (baldy) would of been in next at the shift change and that would of been around the time of my reply telling you to go.

Anyway, glad you had a great day, that neck of the woods is a cracking area for a day visit and walk around one of the first NYC suburbs. I May be visiting in May myself, I'll shout that pint you've missed if I am ad you are too.

That'll of been Eva, lovely lass. The other one (baldy) would of been in next at the shift change and that would of been around the time of my reply telling you to go.

Anyway, glad you had a great day, that neck of the woods is a cracking area for a day visit and walk around one of the first NYC suburbs. I May be visiting in May myself, I'll shout that pint you've missed if I am ad you are too.

Cheers marra, and happy to meet up for a drink next time I'm over. The walk along the river with the skyline (walking from Montague St) was amazing btw thanks. I have been to NYC 5 or 6 times now but it really had the 'wow' factor.

Back