New York SMBer's

Oh wise SMBer's from New York, could do with some local information please.

I will have a day free in NYC Saturday week *** and wanted to get some local advice on what places are like.

I've been to Manhattan a few times, been to Greenwich, Statue of Liberty, 9/11 memorial and museum plus the Circle Line Cruise.

Was thinking of going to Brooklyn, Coney Island or maybe the Bronx as I heard it's a lot better these days.

Any useful suggestions appreciated please.

*** I know, look at me etc pathetic

I will have a day free in NYC Saturday week *** and wanted to get some local advice on what places are like.

I've been to Manhattan a few times, been to Greenwich, Statue of Liberty, 9/11 memorial and museum plus the Circle Line Cruise.

Was thinking of going to Brooklyn, Coney Island or maybe the Bronx as I heard it's a lot better these days.

I'd like to visit the Brooklyn Brewery.
Next time for me maybe...

It's fine but you're basically just drinking the same stuff they've got on the taps at all the local boozers, except you're drinking it in a cold, empty warehouse out of small plastic cups.

Well that's one way to put me off.
To be honest, I could do with visiting the other boroughs that aren't Manhatten next time we go.
That said there's still plenty of that to explore too.

It's an English saying marra.

Btw, how would you describe it , just out of interest?

A week on Saturday.

The Campbell.(.formerly the Campbell Apt) in Grand Central is where i would spend my hours if the weather was bad...great historic hidden gem of a bar( my lifes not totally about booze but when in rome and all that!.. Mind dint forget to fill yer wallet!)

17 years in Brooklyn and I still can't tell people what best to do on a day visit, crap cold and wet days I found a pub, sunny days I went and played golf or chilled in a pub. Best bet is by a NY Time Out magazine, it has lists of things to do broken down by borough.

Can't speak for The Bronx, but Brooklyn now is night and day since I moved in, still some really shit areas, East New York to name one, it really has come along.

Walk the Brooklyn Bridge to Brooklyn, steps down to your left and visit Dumbo, walk along the waterfront through Brooklyn Bridge Park as far as Atlantic Ave, up Atlantic Ave for some food at the chippy, next door to Floyd's for a pint or two. Walk up Henry Street to Montague St, turn fight for my old local Custom House, left for the best view of the city and the Brooklyn Promenade, a great photo location.

Failing that, take the 2/3 RED train to Brooklyn Museum and Botanical Gardens, near Grand Army Plaza and Prospect Park. Or take the subway to Coney Island and visit the beach, not bad in the summer, crap around this time of year. Only thing worth a look in that neck of the woods is the NY Aquarium.

You could do an NYC Ferry from Manhattan to Rockaway and visit the beach, subway back via Atlantic Terminal and visit a bit of Brooklyn from there. In fact you can do that same ferry to Red Hook from Dumbo.

Enjoy.

17 years in Brooklyn and I still can't tell people what best to do on a day visit, crap cold and wet days I found a pub, sunny days I went and played golf or chilled in a pub. Best bet is by a NY Time Out magazine, it has lists of things to do broken down by borough.

Can't speak for The Bronx, but Brooklyn now is night and day since I moved in, still some really shit areas, East New York to name one, it really has come along.

Walk the Brooklyn Bridge to Brooklyn, steps down to your left and visit Dumbo, walk along the waterfront through Brooklyn Bridge Park as far as Atlantic Ave, up Atlantic Ave for some food at the chippy, next door to Floyd's for a pint or two. Walk up Henry Street to Montague St, turn fight for my old local Custom House, left for the best view of the city and the Brooklyn Promenade, a great photo location.

Failing that, take the 2/3 RED train to Brooklyn Museum and Botanical Gardens, near Grand Army Plaza and Prospect Park. Or take the subway to Coney Island and visit the beach, not bad in the summer, crap around this time of year. Only thing worth a look in that neck of the woods is the NY Aquarium.

You could do an NYC Ferry from Manhattan to Rockaway and visit the beach, subway back via Atlantic Terminal and visit a bit of Brooklyn from there. In fact you can do that same ferry to Red Hook from Dumbo.

Enjoy.

Great info, many thanks.

Rockerfeller Ctr will have the tree up. Places like Coney Island are a ghost town at this time of the year and its f***ing brass out so you really don't want to be out there.

Take a look at some of the museums, or central park (the ice rink should be up and running).... You can walk the Brooklyn Bridge as @Blame Me mentioned and get Cheesecake at Juniors. So many things to do, but it all depends what you are in to.

Worst case scenario, I am sure Legends will have the match on, so you could do an all day sesh!!

On both occasions I’ve been we’ve enjoyed getting the train to Brooklyn, there’s a great street with a few pubs / restaurants then at the top there is the boulevard overlooking the bridge / manhattan.
Nice walk over the bridge but get wrapped up and don’t step into the cycle lane or they will have you.
Enjoy

Dumbo is nice.

The aforementioned chip shop in Brooklyn is cool,it's a pub and they have a random picture of Hilda Ogden behind the bar. Which made me laugh. Don't know if it's worth the trek from JC like,but I suppose it's not far on the Subway from the World Trade Centre.

I think they will put the Rockerfeller tree up on Wednesday.

Downtown JC is nice, especially around Paulus Hook,the views at night of Manhattan are cool,I went to Amelia's Bistro the other night and I like it there. Probably quiet through the week.

Hoboken is nice too and not far on the PATH.

Aye,by the way,nowt on Staten Island other than the free ferry past the statue of liberty.

Back