New York for New Year

Just think how much money youd spend if you were in London for a week sightseeing eating out etc apply the exchange rate and that's your figure

Its hellishly f***ing expensive New York and so similar to London....I hate the place much prefer other cities over here

Just think how much money youd spend if you were in London for a week sightseeing eating out etc apply the exchange rate and that's your figure

Its hellishly f***ing expensive New York and so similar to London....I hate the place much prefer other cities over here

I'd personally go to London over New York any day..don't get me wrong i like New York but once you get used to the tall buildings and the hustle and bustle..well haway is it that good?..mind I was there during summer so it was better for walking about and seeing the sights.

You can't tell someone to avoid Times Square if he's never been to NYC before ffs :rolleyes::lol:

Plenty to see and do in New York, best city in the world enjoy it.

9/11 memorial is extremely moving, get the boat out to the Statue of Liberty, have a walk around Central Park (even if it's freezing, it's well worth seeing) walk down by the Rockafeller Centre at night time is class and definitely visit St Pauls Cathedral!

Last edited:
We did New Year last year. Was great however I would avoid Times Square for NYE.
We booked a table at Quality Meats at 9pm. Stayed until 11.30 then wandered round to Central Park to watch the fireworks. 12.30 wandered back for more alcohol.
It is not cheap though. How many going?

Just 2 of us.
Don' think we're actually going into Times Square for NYE.

Just 2 of us.
Don' think we're actually going into Times Square for NYE.

Tbh when I first went there was just me and the missus. We did a lot of walking and didn't eat that expensively. Had it not been for shopping we would not have spent anything near $1500.

If the weather is ok you can see an awful lot on foot. Subway is not too expensive. Go to see Liberty by using the Staten Island ferry. Free and no hideous queues.

Best meal we had was in Bryant Park. Xmas stalls, loads of different foods. Suppose it is like any other city in that it can be done within any budget once you are there.

Pershing Square Café (opposite Grand Central Station) does a cracking breakfast. Get there early though (like 7am) as it is very popular.

Last edited:
Also: take a big coat. And three pairs of gloves and seven jumpers.

It’s mild right now but will be minus six next week. That’s without windchill.

Never underestimate how cold it can get in NY in winter.

We did this one year

Logon or register to see this image

Was canny, they kept the free bar running for longer too. You were allowed out for the ball drop, or you could look out of the window, or watch on telly. Was about £100 at the time, no idea how much it is now, but it was well worth it then.

It's mainly Pepsi out there which is a shame as i'm one of the few people in life who has a palate capable of distinguishing the subtle differences between the two.
Just picked this up. That's why I like this forum. Have a like.

Both... and at the same time. But I was referring to NYC, NY and the US in general.
I couldn't stand the place after a few years. The differences in thier priorities compared to ours are a lot bigger than most people think.

Bit of a generalisation there mate, I’ve lived in Austin, Texas for 4 years now and it’s unreal, love the place.

However I also lived in London for 8 years and have spent plenty of time in NYC and couple those as identical places IMO, after about 6 years in London I’d had more than enough

WE were there 29th to 3rd Jan god it was cold -18. flight delayed from Leeds to Dublin due to the snow missed connecting flight to jfk ended up on a flight arriving at Hartford Connecticut then a 2 1/2 hour travel to hotel all without our 11 cases which turned up on the Sunday morning. Still had a great time stopped 60 meters from Times sq and came out of pub at 11.45 NY Eve to listen to Neil Diamond sing Sweet Caroline live

Back