New York for New Year

Times Square is shite man. Penned in like cattle with no bogs and gobby New Yorkers arguing with police. Hopped the barrier and fucked off for a wander round the city then watched the ball drop on the tv were I could actually see the fucker.
When I was there 5 years ago, it was full before 1pm. Thank god. Although I missed Psy, Taylor Swift and Carly Rae Jepsen. Nas did a gig that night at Radio City Hall (which had sold out) and Jay Z did a gig down in Brooklyn at the Nets stadium. Bad planning means I did none of these and instead ended up stood around on Brooklyn Bridge watching the fireworks in the distance (which was still nice).

If you've already paid for you hotels and flights, you shouldn't need more than £200 a day to be living well. New York is cheap as anything outside of accommodation costs (and beers being $6 + $1 tip minimum). You can wander around and see a lot for free, day or night. Clothes and whatnot are cheap for us also.

It’s food and drink that is expensive in NYC.

We spent £1800 in 4 days .

When I was there 5 years ago, it was full before 1pm. Thank god. Although I missed Psy, Taylor Swift and Carly Rae Jepsen. Nas did a gig that night at Radio City Hall (which had sold out) and Jay Z did a gig down in Brooklyn at the Nets stadium. Bad planning means I did none of these and instead ended up stood around on Brooklyn Bridge watching the fireworks in the distance (which was still nice).

If you've already paid for you hotels and flights, you shouldn't need more than £200 a day to be living well. New York is cheap as anything outside of accommodation costs (and beers being $6 + $1 tip minimum). You can wander around and see a lot for free, day or night. Clothes and whatnot are cheap for us also.

Beers $10
Strip steak $35
Wine $40

Don’t forget to add 20% onto your check for the tip either

Last edited:
This, you can eat and drink on the cheap if you really research things and there's loads of free things to do around the city

Exactly. For a start get a 3 day unlimited subway pass for about $12 . You can go everywhere.. quick, simple, cheap and a great way to see different parts of the city and feel like a native. People must waste $100's on cabs just sitting in traffic. The subway system is very good.

Also google 'dive bars' and drink in the best and most intersting bars for a few dollars a pint.

Exactly. For a start get a 3 day unlimited subway pass for about $12 . You can go everywhere.. quick, simple, cheap and a great way to see different parts of the city and feel like a native. People must waste $100's on cabs just sitting in traffic. The subway system is very good.

Also google 'dive bars' and drink in the best and most intersting bars for a few dollars a pint.
If they have American Football showing in some places, it was $2 a 'pint' when I was there last!

It’s food and drink that is expensive in NYC.

We spent £1800 in 4 days .

Beers $10
Strip steak $35
Wine $40

Don’t forget to add 20% onto your check for the tip either
Only if you're eating at the fancy places.

Times Square is shite man. Penned in like cattle with no bogs and gobby New Yorkers arguing with police. Hopped the barrier and fucked off for a wander round the city then watched the ball drop on the tv were I could actually see the fucker.

This !!

Don't bother with Times Square. Its a zoo at the best of times. At New Year its almost a disaster zone.

In all honesty anyone going to NYC for new year has been badly advised or has ££ to waste.

Dive bar I use is "Subway". Right next to Bloomingdales.

Why would anyone drop a ball on a TV?

The people there are all fake. Smile to your face, stab you in the back when you're not looking. Had a few jobs there and it was all about f***ing other people over to club the corporate ladder.
So happy to be back in the NE.. real f***ing people here.
I absolutely loved my trip to NY. But I was just a tourist.

I get the thing about the people, fake/uncaring/uninterested on the whole .

Cycle and or walk, you see so much more.

Last edited:
It's mainly Pepsi out there which is a shame as i'm one of the few people in life who has a palate capable of distinguishing the subtle differences between the two.

I can taste the difference. Got asked to do the Pepsi v Coke taste challenge outside the CN Tower in Toronto (yeah look at me etc) and could taste the difference. Pepsi for me.

As the title says.
New York bound for New Year.
We are away for the best part of a week. Any advice on how much spending money?

Thanks

We did New Year last year. Was great however I would avoid Times Square for NYE.
We booked a table at Quality Meats at 9pm. Stayed until 11.30 then wandered round to Central Park to watch the fireworks. 12.30 wandered back for more alcohol.
It is not cheap though. How many going?

You MUST go to the Campbell Apartment in Grand Central...one round for four will set you back a few quid but if you can get in its amazing!....one of those bars where a saddo like me keeps reflecting back and recommending it five years later so must have been canny!...top location

All the places I’ve been in the us San Francisco is the one like. Love that city. Never been anywhere in the south but have a relative who just moved from California to Texas so that’s on the to visit list now.
Did you just visit or stay there for a at least a year?

Back