New tyre advice

Does anyone actually do this ? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

you have to buy law in some european countries. For 99% of driving in the UK you don't need them, until you get snow like last year then you will be very glad to hand them on. I went for quality all seasons (michelin cross climates) so I don't have to worry about them.

This thread has prompted me to have a rake about for 185/55 R16 tyres for the Note. The only A rated tyres are the EcoContact 6 - £80 a go; but if they last that long they might be worth a look. I do plenty of motorway travel, so the fuel savings might actually be worth the difference in price to the £45 no brands I usually stick on.

Will be safer also.

This tread is a train wreck. Im pretty sure the more grip you get the less miles you get, due to friction. So if you want 25,000 miles buy the shittest cheapest tyres.

This
Interesting, never thought of that. Due to my driving style I don't need performance as much as others I think.

Is there not something about the quality of the rubber used too? A cheaper one degrades quicker?

I've had pilot sports and p zeros etc and I can safely ( pardon the pun) say that you really do notice the difference going back to midrange tyres.

I put cheaper ones on my Golf GTD and it's been all over the place this winter and it's been milder than last.

Go for best you can afford/feel comfortable spending.

Interesting, never thought of that. Due to my driving style I don't need performance as much as others I think.

Is there not something about the quality of the rubber used too? A cheaper one degrades quicker?
Cheaper rubber, cheaper tyres dont last either. You get what you pay for, most brands do a performance tyre which will give you better grip and they also do a tyre designed for high miles. Unless you have a sports car or drive like a bellend then tyres like eco contact will last

Need some 235/45 R18 tyres - car came with Bridgestone and they have only done 13000 miles so not impressed with them.

Been trying to do some research and possibly narrowed down to three:
Hankook Ventus V12Ev02, can get £124 at kwik fit with a voucher code
Vredestein Ultrac Satin £131 at black circles (never heard of this brand before today)
Lassa Driveways £87 at tyre spot.

All seem to get good reviews, even the lassa ones, but not sure if users are taking value in to account (?). I'm happy to pay a bit more as long as they last longer. I drive quite conservatively although the car is 2 litre as I tow a caravan occasionally, so I don't need grip for cornering like a racing car driver.

Anyone any experience of these brands / tyres or got any advice?

I've bought Avon for years as they're durable with good dynamics and don't cost the earth - built in blighty too

Kumho are on offer a lot and having given them a try I would recommend them

Just suffered the pain of this.

Look on tyreleader.

Loads on audi messageboard raved about nankangs, id never heard of them! As 1 was the model i think.

They ask if you want delivering to home or a local fitter.

Top tip: got my alloys refurbished (rs hartlepool) at the same time so swapping 4 tyres was free.

What’s the best type of tyre if you regularly drive at high speeds, wheel spin when pulling away from junctions, and get a bit of drift when exiting roundabouts?

Asking for a friend.

What’s the best type of tyre if you regularly drive at high speeds, wheel spin when pulling away from junctions, and get a bit of drift when exiting roundabouts?

Asking for a friend.

The 4 odd ones Ive just took off. Thought it was a bit hazardous doing roundabout sideways with the whole family in.

What about Michelin ones if they've been good on your other car?

Certainly in days gone by Michelin had a reputation for being long-lasting tyres.

Always liked Dunlop's. Cheaper than the top-priced ones, but not cheap shite that'll explode on the motorway for no reason.

Blackcircles & mobile fitting, so I don't even have to leave the house :)

I don't think you can buy tyres that will explode on the motorway for no reason. Maybe Hollywood tyres will, but not tyres available in UK.

Last edited:
My preference is for Michelin. Do you have Costco membership? - they tend to do Michelin and Goodyear or Bridgestone? I always go there if I can (the Aberdeen one) for for the wife's (no) car. The service is great (quick and no overselling), prices are reasonable and when I did have a problem with one of the tyres they couldn't do enough to sort it out.

For my company car I am stuck with going to Kwik Fit - not a fan of them.

Back