New TV for Xbox - what do I need?

Just a quick one, I'm getting a series X and have decided I might as well take the opportunity to get a new TV alongside it. Annoyingly it seems that you need a pretty good spec TV to get the best out of it.

I've heard mention of dolby vision. Also needing hdmi 2.1, and apparently thats so that you can play on 120hz, so you also need a TV capable of reaching that.

Has anyone got experience of this, are the above things really noticeable in terms of improved experience / performance? Was looking at a 75 inch tele and you're looking about an extra £500 to get all of the above. Half thinking it's worth it if this TV is going to last me the whole of the series x generation, and also think its daft getting a next gen console and not being able to get the best out of it, but I'd rather not throw money at it if the difference isn't actually that great. Cheers for any advice!

Can’t imagine it would make that much difference especially shelling out all that money extra. It’s not like you’re spending more to improve specs like you would on a PC.

I’ve no experience of playing on it with a massive TV and proper sound system so I could be talking shite like.

Can’t imagine it would make that much difference especially shelling out all that money extra. It’s not like you’re spending more to improve specs like you would on a PC.

I’ve no experience of playing on it with a massive TV and proper sound system so I could be talking shite like.
Aye, I'm always aware of things like 4K compared to 1080p which, when they first came in, most people said you wouldn't really notice a difference unless you had a huge screen and sat right next to it. I don't want to overpay just for the sake of it but equally if games are going to look much nicer in 120hz with dolby vision then I don't want to regret not getting it since this console and tv should last me the best part of a decade.

I mean, this seems to be one of the more "affordable" tvs that has all of the above, and it's £1400 or thereabouts https://www.currys.co.uk/products/s...tv-with-google-tv-and-assistant-10238483.html

Whereas if I don't bother with dolby vision or 120hz I could get this for £800 LG LED UQ81 75'' 4K Smart TV : buy online | LG UK

£600 more seems a hell of a jump!

Equally if I was to spend near the price of that Sony, I could just get a hisense one that has dolby vision but doesn't have 120hz or hdmi 2.1 but which is 85 inches for £1300 https://www.currys.co.uk/products/hisense-85a6bgtuk-85-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-10244344.html

Not sure whether to go for size, but without "peak" performance, go for the fully specced 75" which might not actually be much better, or save a load by getting a lower spec 75". Hate shopping for stuff!

Last edited:
Aye, I'm always aware of things like 4K compared to 1080p which, when they first came in, most people said you wouldn't really notice a difference unless you had a huge screen and sat right next to it. I don't want to overpay just for the sake of it but equally if games are going to look much nicer in 120hz with dolby vision then I don't want to regret not getting it since this console and tv should last me the best part of a decade.

I mean, this seems to be one of the more "affordable" tvs that has all of the above, and it's £1400 or thereabouts https://www.currys.co.uk/products/s...tv-with-google-tv-and-assistant-10238483.html

Whereas if I don't bother with dolby vision or 120hz I could get this for £800 LG LED UQ81 75'' 4K Smart TV : buy online | LG UK

£600 more seems a hell of a jump!

Equally if I was to spend near the price of that Sony, I could just get a hisense one that has dolby vision but doesn't have 120hz or hdmi 2.1 but which is 85 inches for £1300 https://www.currys.co.uk/products/hisense-85a6bgtuk-85-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-10244344.html

Not sure whether to go for size, but without "peak" performance, go for the fully specced 75" which might not actually be much better, or save a load by getting a lower spec 75". Hate shopping for stuff!
You should get OLED not LED marra.

I fully recommend LG C series 4k TVs.

Last edited:
You should get OLED not LED marra.

I fully recommend LG C series 4k TVs.
Aye, they look canny. Only thing is the price tbh. I've currently got a 55 inch LG oled (it's about 6 years old, so not great spec any more) and really want something bigger. For a 75 inch even the C1 seems to be about £1700 which is more than I'd spend tbh, especially when I'm buying the console on top.

Basically I currently use the 55" tele but now I have the bairn every weekend so most of the time he takes it and if I want to watch/ play anything I need to go onto a secondary 37" or so tv. Decided if I was going to upgrade I might as well get a bigger one than my current one, and that I should make sure it's ideal for the series x if the 2.1/120hz/ dolby vision stuff is worth the extra cost. The bairn can then use the ps5 on the 55", and I'll get a better one for gaming and watching matches on a weekend

Aye, they look canny. Only thing is the price tbh. I've currently got a 55 inch LG oled (it's about 6 years old, so not great spec any more) and really want something bigger. For a 75 inch even the C1 seems to be about £1700 which is more than I'd spend tbh, especially when I'm buying the console on top.

Basically I currently use the 55" tele but now I have the bairn every weekend so most of the time he takes it and if I want to watch/ play anything I need to go onto a secondary 37" or so tv. Decided if I was going to upgrade I might as well get a bigger one than my current one, and that I should make sure it's ideal for the series x if the 2.1/120hz/ dolby vision stuff is worth the extra cost. The bairn can then use the ps5 on the 55", and I'll get a better one for gaming and watching matches on a weekend
Aye a top end 75inch TV won't come cheap unfortunately. I've noticed in Currys website you can filter the best TVs for gaming so worth playing about with that to see good options.

Logon or register to see this image

Aye a top end 75inch TV won't come cheap unfortunately. I've noticed in Currys website you can filter the best TVs for gaming so worth playing about with that to see good options.

Logon or register to see this image
Thanks mate, will give that a go!

I'm thinking like with most things it'll probably come down in price quite quickly. This time next year I could probably get that 75" Sony bravia one, or similar with 2.1, dolby vision and 120hz for under £1000 so maybe I'll just need to bide my time. But you know what it's like when you have an itch to buy something! If people said they'd got the above type teles and they weren't much better than lower spec ones I'd likely just buy the other 75" one for £800 and be done with it :lol:

Appreciate the replies mate

I went for the LG C1 when I got the ps5 for the likes of VRR and HDMI 2.1.

You'd need to go way smaller to get close to your budget though. Probably set you back 2-3k for a 70+ inch
Cheers mate, any idea what this one that I linked to earlier lacks? https://www.currys.co.uk/products/s...tv-with-google-tv-and-assistant-10238483.html
Not sure what VRR is tbh! But this one seems to have everything needed for games (HDMI 2.1, dolby vision and 120hz) but it seems a lot cheaper for a 75" than most of the others I've seen of the same spec so I'm worried it's missing something.

My options seem to be either pay the price for this Sony now (unless it's lacking something), just accept 60hz but save about £600 (or accept 60hz and pay about the same for 85 inch), or stick with what I've got and see how long it takes for 120hz ones to drop in price. Some things are saying 120hz is only really worth it for FPS games, and especially online. I only play single player games, and the bairn plays a bit of rocket league, so not sure if that affects things

I got the C1 for our living room last year and it's brilliant. OLED is definitely the way to go.
Aye, they're cracking. A bit out of my price range though because, having had a 55" oled, I've realised that I want my next tele to be at least 75". The C1 is about £2000 for that which is a lot more than I'm wanting to spend.

I've found this https://www.currys.co.uk/products/p...dr-led-tv-with-google-assistant-10238398.html which, although not anywhere near as good, does have HDMI 2.1, VRR, dolby vision (and hdr10+) and is 120 hz. For just over a grand at 75" I'm happy enough giving it a go I think. As long as football and games look alright on it it'll do the job! Just got a lot of moving furniture around to try and fit it in!

Just a quick one, I'm getting a series X and have decided I might as well take the opportunity to get a new TV alongside it. Annoyingly it seems that you need a pretty good spec TV to get the best out of it.

I've heard mention of dolby vision. Also needing hdmi 2.1, and apparently thats so that you can play on 120hz, so you also need a TV capable of reaching that.

Has anyone got experience of this, are the above things really noticeable in terms of improved experience / performance? Was looking at a 75 inch tele and you're looking about an extra £500 to get all of the above. Half thinking it's worth it if this TV is going to last me the whole of the series x generation, and also think its daft getting a next gen console and not being able to get the best out of it, but I'd rather not throw money at it if the difference isn't actually that great. Cheers for any advice!
The main thing is the HDMI 2.1 that you have mentioned which is in turn 120hz capable, some games will need this. Personally I'd just get a better smaller TV, LG OLED are the best imo

@Guinness Guzzler If you can't afford the bigger OLED, then definitely get a smaller one rather than get a cheap big telly.... Don't fall for the bigger is better pull...
Ended up going for this one from earlier in the thread just because it had all the stuff needed for the Xbox (hdmi 2.1, 120hz, supports hdr10+ and dolby vision)
https://www.currys.co.uk/products/p...dr-led-tv-with-google-assistant-10238398.html
I've already got a 55 inch OLED so it wasn't really worth getting anything smaller than 75 inch. It seems canny so far tbh, and I like the ambient lights on the side. Wouldn't say the Xbox looks any better at all on it like, and I can't tell the difference when playing at 120hz, but it doesn't look any worse to me so that'll do. Got that one and the OLED in the sitting room so tbh the bairn often takes the big one on the weekend, but at least that means I've still got a decent sized one to watch the football on rather than the old 32" one that I was relegated to previously!

Ended up going for this one from earlier in the thread just because it had all the stuff needed for the Xbox (hdmi 2.1, 120hz, supports hdr10+ and dolby vision)
https://www.currys.co.uk/products/p...dr-led-tv-with-google-assistant-10238398.html
I've already got a 55 inch OLED so it wasn't really worth getting anything smaller than 75 inch. It seems canny so far tbh, and I like the ambient lights on the side. Wouldn't say the Xbox looks any better at all on it like, and I can't tell the difference when playing at 120hz, but it doesn't look any worse to me so that'll do. Got that one and the OLED in the sitting room so tbh the bairn often takes the big one on the weekend, but at least that means I've still got a decent sized one to watch the football on rather than the old 32" one that I was relegated to previously!

Ah, you’ve already got 55”, was going to give you this :lol:

This any good?

Last edited:
Be careful with LG OLEDS for an Xbox, they have a weird handshake problem with the HDMI and will load your console in the lowest resolution possible.

Had to return mine LG C2 and I ended up getting the SAMSUNG QOLED instead.

Back