New to this running...

Not to wind anyone up, or having a go, but ‘knowing you can do it’ is not an appropriate measure ioho. It’s being able to reproduce it without any ill effects, stiffness, pain, demotivation, injury etc. Again, not trying to jinx owt but adding so much, on a daily basis, potentially without rest days might not be the best way to go about it if thinking long-term.

I’ve not put weight on but really struggled to motivate myself to run this past 6 months.

From tomorrow each day I’m going to do 1 mile, then, 1.5, then 2.0 and so on. Just for some sort of motivation to get me back to GNR standard.

As a former athlete and the benefit of a range of coaches including Mike Mcleod, I can bring some decent tips to this.

Targets are a great thing, but what you are suggesting is a fierce increase which is likely to backfire on you. Injuries ruin training of course. Running in very bad weather to meet targets is also counterproductive. I'd set a weekly target rather than daily or 'each time'. Away from the actual running look at your hydration and quality of your food - and accept if you train you will eat more, this is not a diet plan, muscle is heavier than fat and you should never run while hungry. If you can run with someone else or in a small group it will be a great help with motivation, but a bad match will just be depressing for one or the other, for most it is a solitary activity, at least early on.

1. Never skip doing some stretches and warming up, many people think 'starting off easy' is warming up, it isn't. Look up leg stretches if need be and do them religiously.

2. If you can at all avoid it, do not run on roads or tarmac, your body will thank you for getting onto paths or grass at least for part of the session.

3. Make sure you have decent shoes, and that they fit properly. different brands have different attributes and suit different styles. It's worth visiting a running shop at least once to be advised. But break them in around the house or shops, never go straight out in them unless maybe they are a replacement pair (I still wouldn't). Never think of getting a new pair for the event, that goes for all of your kit.

4. Build up your distance slowly, and NEVER run seven days a week, have a day off - even if you feel stiff the day after a day off your body needs it. Don't think I did 3 miles yesterday, I need to do more today. Set longer based targets instead.

5. It's not all about distance, improve stamina and strength by varying the pace, adding a few sprints and slower (fartlek) speed up at the end if it felt easy, don't worry about slowing to a jog if it feels tough. You can mess about with stride length too to help build strength and establish what works best for you. That will improve your running and make it more varied and interesting. On that also vary your route for the same reason and mix flat and hills etc.

6. Be conscious of your running style, which may impact which shoes you need, are you running a nice 'heel to toe' spring or are you a bit flat-footed or 'on your toes'. As you roll lightly from heel to tow - try pushing more off with your toes at times - it isn't energy efficient, but will strengthen some areas and should feel like a boost rather than awkward if your style is good. What are your arms doing, fists shouldnt be tightly clenched and if you can lower/relax your shoulders then, as often, they were hunched up and that can become a big problem. If you are breathing heavily, you are pushing too hard, even going for a bit of pace, your breathing should be deep and comfortable, if not ease off.

7. Mind Games, think about stuff, it will pass the miles more easily if you can relax your mind as much as the above, try not to be conscious of distance remaining - it will not help. Your pace should be such that you feel you could keep this up way beyond the distance you are running. If it's too comfortable you can pick it up towards the end.

8. Never just 'stop', jog for a few minutes or even just keep walking and do some stretches - it will pay dividends.

9. Running is about your whole body, but it isn't the best exercise, accept that paradox and support your training with other activities, swimming, cycling, gym work or whatever, the more varied the better. Longer distance running is not compatible with going for a 'gym body', do gym work if you can, but get a plan set up that will benefit your running rather than build too much power.

10. If you are going for an event distance you think is daunting, then the accepted wisdom is that you don't need to train to that distance, train harder than race pace over shorter distances, so for a half-marathon you can train successfully without ever running more than 10 or 11 miles and the figure is often quoted as building up to 20-22 for a marathon. That's all about recovery times and stresses, but you need to then run a slightly lower pace in the event of course. Better to start slow and have the psychological boost of passing people for the rest of the race, picking up the pace towards the end if you've anything in the tank. Certainly, in any case, do not run the event distance in the week (half marathon) or two weeks (marathon) before the event.

As a former athlete and the benefit of a range of coaches including Mike Mcleod, I can bring some decent tips to this.

Targets are a great thing, but what you are suggesting is a fierce increase which is likely to backfire on you. Injuries ruin training of course. Running in very bad weather to meet targets is also counterproductive. I'd set a weekly target rather than daily or 'each time'. Away from the actual running look at your hydration and quality of your food - and accept if you train you will eat more, this is not a diet plan, muscle is heavier than fat and you should never run while hungry. If you can run with someone else or in a small group it will be a great help with motivation, but a bad match will just be depressing for one or the other, for most it is a solitary activity, at least early on.

1. Never skip doing some stretches and warming up, many people think 'starting off easy' is warming up, it isn't. Look up leg stretches if need be and do them religiously.

2. If you can at all avoid it, do not run on roads or tarmac, your body will thank you for getting onto paths or grass at least for part of the session.

3. Make sure you have decent shoes, and that they fit properly. different brands have different attributes and suit different styles. It's worth visiting a running shop at least once to be advised. But break them in around the house or shops, never go straight out in them unless maybe they are a replacement pair (I still wouldn't). Never think of getting a new pair for the event, that goes for all of your kit.

4. Build up your distance slowly, and NEVER run seven days a week, have a day off - even if you feel stiff the day after a day off your body needs it. Don't think I did 3 miles yesterday, I need to do more today. Set longer based targets instead.

5. It's not all about distance, improve stamina and strength by varying the pace, adding a few sprints and slower (fartlek) speed up at the end if it felt easy, don't worry about slowing to a jog if it feels tough. You can mess about with stride length too to help build strength and establish what works best for you. That will improve your running and make it more varied and interesting. On that also vary your route for the same reason and mix flat and hills etc.

6. Be conscious of your running style, which may impact which shoes you need, are you running a nice 'heel to toe' spring or are you a bit flat-footed or 'on your toes'. As you roll lightly from heel to tow - try pushing more off with your toes at times - it isn't energy efficient, but will strengthen some areas and should feel like a boost rather than awkward if your style is good. What are your arms doing, fists shouldnt be tightly clenched and if you can lower/relax your shoulders then, as often, they were hunched up and that can become a big problem. If you are breathing heavily, you are pushing too hard, even going for a bit of pace, your breathing should be deep and comfortable, if not ease off.

7. Mind Games, think about stuff, it will pass the miles more easily if you can relax your mind as much as the above, try not to be conscious of distance remaining - it will not help. Your pace should be such that you feel you could keep this up way beyond the distance you are running. If it's too comfortable you can pick it up towards the end.

8. Never just 'stop', jog for a few minutes or even just keep walking and do some stretches - it will pay dividends.

9. Running is about your whole body, but it isn't the best exercise, accept that paradox and support your training with other activities, swimming, cycling, gym work or whatever, the more varied the better. Longer distance running is not compatible with going for a 'gym body', do gym work if you can, but get a plan set up that will benefit your running rather than build too much power.

10. If you are going for an event distance you think is daunting, then the accepted wisdom is that you don't need to train to that distance, train harder than race pace over shorter distances, so for a half-marathon you can train successfully without ever running more than 10 or 11 miles and the figure is often quoted as building up to 20-22 for a marathon. That's all about recovery times and stresses, but you need to then run a slightly lower pace in the event of course. Better to start slow and have the psychological boost of passing people for the rest of the race, picking up the pace towards the end if you've anything in the tank. Certainly, in any case, do not run the event distance in the week (half marathon) or two weeks (marathon) before the event.
Some great advice there thank you.

I’ve always been poor at running despite being a relatively fit lad (covering most ground out of everyone on the pitch in footy matches and swimming decent distances etc). I’ve recently done couch to 5k. Despite initially (incorrectly) thinking it was a bit beneath me it’s been great! I’m doing the 5k three times a week but still plodding around at around 9 1/2 minute per mile.

What’s better to target next, quicker times or longer distances? Does achieving one lend itself better to the other? Or is it a case of it depends and what the individual wants?

I doubt I’ll ever be looking to be ‘a runner’ or take part in an event. I just want to stay fit and healthy and help maintain my weight.

Last edited:

I’ve always been poor at running despite being a relatively fit lad (covering most ground out of everyone on the pitch in footy matches and swimming decent distances etc). I’ve recently done couch to 5k. Despite initially (incorrectly) thinking it was a bit beneath me it’s been great! I’m doing the 5k three times a week but still plodding around at around 9 1/2 minute per mile.

What’s better to target next, quicker times or longer distances? Does achieving one lend itself better to the other? Or is it a case of it depends and what the individual wants?

I doubt I’ll ever be looking to be ‘a runner’ or take part in an event. I just want to stay fit and healthy and help maintain my weight.

Good to hear you're making progress, running can be more about style than fitness at some stages, hence why a good swimmer/agile player doesn't necessarily translate. It varies for the individual, but in theory you work on both distance and times to some extent, but it depends on your objective - if a 10K is all you want to aim for (absolutely nothing wrong with that - it's a healthy distance and IS classed as long distance being the longest track distance (ignore the fashion for marathon/half-marathon unless you've a strong desire for that) then that's fine but when it becomes comfortable you're standing still if you don't speed up over time. For fitness alone you don't need to up the pace across the distance though, you can mix some faster patches, for example try some short faster sessions within a 5 mile run and see if you can add more or get them longer, less vanilla too that way. At the other extreme if a marathon or half is your 'goal' then you needn't work on pace at all if the distance will be a real challenge.

Now, I'll go off text a little here. IMO a marathon is not healthy unless you would call yourself an athlete. If it is your goal to do one and you prepare for it properly then it is motivational and a bucket list tick or personal achievement then I'm all for it as you also get yourself fit in the process. But the stress on your body is not insignificant, you tap into 'emergency reserves' that we're not normally meant to and your first can leave you knackered for a couple of months after 5 minutes of football for example. I'm not against it, don't get me wrong, I just think sometimes the reality is brushed aside, the guy running to Marathon that its fabled to be named after dropped dead on arrival after all. If it is all about fitness then go for half-marathons - a long haul and something that needs building up to, but most of the downsides of a marathon are avoided. To demonstrate, even at my fittest, as an 'athlete', I never attempted marathons within two months of each other, but I could do halves every weekend (would do me in now!).

It really is all about what you want, speed requires strength and muscle bulk, stamina is helped to an extent by it's absence, it's a contradiction. Weight control and weight loss are quite different - any point in the spectrum should aid weight control (and feeling better) but for weight loss, assuming it is justified and not in your head, anyone needs to be careful, at least to start with I'd say in that case ignore pace completely (remember, you need a pace you feel you could keep 'forever' not 'I think I can reach the end') and work on adding distance.

A last tip - in reality it may be more practical to ignore distance and work on adding time to the run as targets, certainly more attainable that way, smoothing out good and bad days by itself without the same risk of missing your targets. Safer way to 'push' yourself without pushing yourself too hard.

Last edited:
Good to hear you're making progress, running can be more about style than fitness at some stages, hence why a good swimmer/agile player doesn't necessarily translate. It varies for the individual, but in theory you work on both distance and times to some extent, but it depends on your objective - if a 10K is all you want to aim for (absolutely nothing wrong with that - it's a healthy distance and IS classed as long distance being the longest track distance (ignore the fashion for marathon/half-marathon unless you've a strong desire for that) then that's fine but when it becomes comfortable you're standing still if you don't speed up over time. For fitness alone you don't need to up the pace across the distance though, you can mix some faster patches, for example try some short faster sessions within a 5 mile run and see if you can add more or get them longer, less vanilla too that way. At the other extreme if a marathon or half is your 'goal' then you needn't work on pace at all if the distance will be a real challenge.

Now, I'll go off text a little here. IMO a marathon is not healthy unless you would call yourself an athlete. If it is your goal to do one and you prepare for it properly then it is motivational and a bucket list tick or personal achievement then I'm all for it as you also get yourself fit in the process. But the stress on your body is not insignificant, you tap into 'emergency reserves' that we're not normally meant to and your first can leave you knackered for a couple of months after 5 minutes of football for example. I'm not against it, don't get me wrong, I just think sometimes the reality is brushed aside, the guy running to Marathon that its fabled to be named after dropped dead on arrival after all. If it is all about fitness then go for half-marathons - a long haul and something that needs building up to, but most of the downsides of a marathon are avoided. To demonstrate, even at my fittest, as an 'athlete', I never attempted marathons within two months of each other, but I could do halves every weekend (would do me in now!).

It really is all about what you want, speed requires strength and muscle bulk, stamina is helped to an extent by it's absence, it's a contradiction. Weight control and weight loss are quite different - any point in the spectrum should aid weight control (and feeling better) but for weight loss, assuming it is justified and not in your head, anyone needs to be careful, at least to start with I'd say in that case ignore pace completely (remember, you need a pace you feel you could keep 'forever' not 'I think I can reach the end') and work on adding distance.

A last tip - in reality it may be more practical to ignore distance and work on adding time to the run as targets, certainly more attainable that way, smoothing out good and bad days by itself without the same risk of missing your targets. Safer way to 'push' yourself without pushing yourself too hard.
Absolutely brilliant!! Thank you very much.

Most importantly is enjoying it and staying fit and healthy.
You ask what's best to target next well that should be your opinion. Do you see yourself a distance runner a 5k 10k half marathon etc etc. What are you comfortable with what gives you the most enjoyment how much time do you have.
I personally used to run a lot of half marathons and 10ks at good pace but adapted things 6 years ago where I do no more than 5k now but mainly hiit. Good luck going forward

Some excellent advice from McMackem. The number of people I see running who do neither a "warm up" or "warm down" is bordering on criminal. Accept that as you get older, you will get slower but keeping at it will slow the rate of decline and, finally, enjoy it. As a youngster I didn't enjoy training only racing, now I only do the former!

Started running myself a few weeks ago due to the amount of timber I've put on during lockdown - since I moved to London and stopped playing football I've become really unfit and felt like my mental health was slipping.

Started off doing the couch to 5k. Really really enjoying it so far. I'm still early on in the process and the runs aren't too taxing but it's great getting out and not keeling over.

Having a bit of trouble with pain in my legs though. Specifically up the side of my legs above the ankle. I've started putting even more time into stretching and it's easing off a bit but it can be a real struggle to run through. When I first started, I'd get the pain when I ran but now I get it in the walking stages between runs.

Hopefully, it's just my body getting used to working muscles etc that were previously largely inactive.

Started running myself a few weeks ago due to the amount of timber I've put on during lockdown - since I moved to London and stopped playing football I've become really unfit and felt like my mental health was slipping.

Started off doing the couch to 5k. Really really enjoying it so far. I'm still early on in the process and the runs aren't too taxing but it's great getting out and not keeling over.

Having a bit of trouble with pain in my legs though. Specifically up the side of my legs above the ankle. I've started putting even more time into stretching and it's easing off a bit but it can be a real struggle to run through. When I first started, I'd get the pain when I ran but now I get it in the walking stages between runs.

Hopefully, it's just my body getting used to working muscles etc that were previously largely inactive.
May be shin splints. Compression socks are handy

Try running on grass intially if you can, could be the pounding from the pavement making it worse as well as you get used to running.

I installed it and uninstalled it twice, my brother in laws lass did it and she is owa the moon with it. Went from never ever running to doing 5k a week. I think ill install it again and actually try it this time
The C25K app is how i started running in Jan 2020. I'd had it installed for ages and not tried it but did it after I put on a bit of extra timber after Christmas. Once i'd got past the intervals of run for a few mins, walk for a bit, then run some more into the longer non-stop runs i found it all quite addictive.

Disaster struck however in Feb when i was close to the end of the programme when what turned out to be a plantar fasciitis injury caused my knee to fuck up, forgive me if i get too technical here. I had to stop for nearly three months and went back to week 4. I completed the programme then, but on my first consolidation run after completion the knee went again.

This time i took the time off to work out how to strengthen the knee through exercise and got a bike as well to train on. I find cycling really boring so once the knee was strong enough i parked the bike in the shed and got back to running, albeit with good knee supports and ASICS gel trainers to soothe my fasciitis problems.

I'm now training on 10k but i take it all very slow and steady and if i get any twinges from my knees i knock it on the head. Touch wood that's only happened once or twice in the last 6 months. My goal is to be comfortably running 10ks, then see if i can push it up to one day run a half marathon. I'm 51 but the lad i go to matches with is 55 and he runs half marathons regularly, the annoying git.

Started the c25k a few times as my Mrs (no) wanted to do it but she always gave up at the 3rd week making excuses for looking after her horses and as I cycle to work every day I thought I was reasonably fit anyway.
Put on some chunk over the last couple of years due to change in job which left me too knackered to do any extra training but then decided that if I don't push myself to get out it would end up a vicious cycle. So started the c25k again and have got half way now and running for 25 minutes none stop, still finding it difficult but pleased with myself when I finish.
Only thing is I sometimes get a sharp pain on the top of my foot, any ideas what and anything I can do to sort it?

Started the c25k a few times as my Mrs (no) wanted to do it but she always gave up at the 3rd week making excuses for looking after her horses and as I cycle to work every day I thought I was reasonably fit anyway.
Put on some chunk over the last couple of years due to change in job which left me too knackered to do any extra training but then decided that if I don't push myself to get out it would end up a vicious cycle. So started the c25k again and have got half way now and running for 25 minutes none stop, still finding it difficult but pleased with myself when I finish.
Only thing is I sometimes get a sharp pain on the top of my foot, any ideas what and anything I can do to sort it?
Make sure you aren't doing your shoes up to tight (I know - sounds daft!) - but then have a bit of a look at "extensor tendonitis" and see if it fits your symptoms - I had it a while back, I found taping it helped me massively:

Last edited:
Are your laces too tight?

Make sure you aren't doing your shoes up to tight (I know - sounds daft!) - but then have a bit of a look at "extensor tendonitis" and see if it fits your symptoms - I had it a while back, I found taping it helped me massively:
Cheers, will try my laces and then if no difference I'll give the tape a go 👍

Back