New to this running...

5underland

Midfield
I know there’s a running thread already but reading your posts it’s mainly people who are a lot more experienced and a lot fitter than I am when it comes to running.
I first started during lockdown 1 due to the gym being shut, I did a canny few different runs of different lengths up to my longest at 8mile but usually settling in for a loop of around 2-3mile. I do CrossFit at the gym and I think I tried to push myself like I would normally and was hitting somewhere between 7.5 and 8minute miles. I picked up a bit of an injury and stopped the running for a good while before starting again, this time making an effort to slow myself down and trying to be consistent and hit around 9minute miles but over slightly longer distance of 4-5mile. I do enjoy it and I have longer distance in me but when I try I find i need to head for home due to pain in my knees and hips(I’ve plenty energy left). I’d love to get to 10mile, what can I do to help this, is there anything that can help with conditioning for my knees or is it just down to getting out there and get used to it?

I know there’s a running thread already but reading your posts it’s mainly people who are a lot more experienced and a lot fitter than I am when it comes to running.
I first started during lockdown 1 due to the gym being shut, I did a canny few different runs of different lengths up to my longest at 8mile but usually settling in for a loop of around 2-3mile. I do CrossFit at the gym and I think I tried to push myself like I would normally and was hitting somewhere between 7.5 and 8minute miles. I picked up a bit of an injury and stopped the running for a good while before starting again, this time making an effort to slow myself down and trying to be consistent and hit around 9minute miles but over slightly longer distance of 4-5mile. I do enjoy it and I have longer distance in me but when I try I find i need to head for home due to pain in my knees and hips(I’ve plenty energy left). I’d love to get to 10mile, what can I do to help this, is there anything that can help with conditioning for my knees or is it just down to getting out there and get used to it?

Slow it down even more! Even seasoned runners sometimes drop their pace to get the extra miles in. Nothing wrong with doing 10 minute and 11 minute miles. It will help build strength and help you get quicker in the long run. I usually do a few shorter runs and a longer run on a Sunday and my long run is always slower. Just come back from an injury myself though and only doing slow short ones atm. The 8-9 minute miles can wait for me.

Agree slow it down, in 50 mile week for example I may do 7-10 miles at the sort of pace you talking about, rest of them I run to HR and are more around 9-10 minute. When I started out HR running I was doing 14 minutes miles, not saying do that at this point but definatley pair it back, know can feel crap running slow but leave the ego aside and build up it soon comes in if you consistent.

Also read and post in the running thread too theres few beginners in there and its a good support network generally too.

Agree slow it down, in 50 mile week for example I may do 7-10 miles at the sort of pace you talking about, rest of them I run to HR and are more around 9-10 minute. When I started out HR running I was doing 14 minutes miles, not saying do that at this point but definatley pair it back, know can feel crap running slow but leave the ego aside and build up it soon comes in if you consistent.

Also read and post in the running thread too theres few beginners in there and its a good support network generally too.
It’s not that I mind slowing down, it just feels like it’s not a natural pace and I need to keep on to of it to be that bit slower.
I’m going to get myself some decent trainers next week I think using general all purpose trainers hasn’t helped much either.
I’ll keep check on the other running thread as well.
🏃🏼‍♂️

It’s not that I mind slowing down, it just feels like it’s not a natural pace and I need to keep on to of it to be that bit slower.
I’m going to get myself some decent trainers next week I think using general all purpose trainers hasn’t helped much either.
🏃🏼‍♂️

it does take some getting used to dropping the pace. But sometimes it can actually be really enjoyable and it beats risking injuries. Do the shorter ones at the natural pace and then slow it down for the longer ones and it will be worth it.
🏃🏼‍♂️
Also I recommend getting your gait done at a running shop and they will tell you what shoes to buy for your running style. It is free and you don’t have to buy what they have. You can usually find their shoes cheaper online also.

Last edited:
it does take some getting used to dropping the pace. But sometimes it can actually be really enjoyable and it beats risking injuries. Do the shorter ones at the natural pace and then slow it down for the longer ones and it will be worth it.

Also I recommend getting your gait done at a running shop and they will tell you what shoes to buy for your running style. It is free and you don’t have to buy what they have. You can usually find their shoes cheaper online also.
Just seen someone has posted a 20% off code for sportshoes.com in the other group, I was just on there tonight having a look. Been in touch with one of the coaches at the gym and he’s going to do the gait thing for me. Just hope the weather holds out, got caught out down the beach on Tuesday, wasn’t much fun plodding along in the pissing rain.

🏃🏼‍♂️

I think I know what you mean. I struggle to run slower I feel like to do so changes the way I run and that would be counter productive but it just takes a bit of time to get used to it.

Definately worth getting some decent running trainers I was buying running trainers based on 2 things. One was what the machine at sports direct said and the other was the trainers looking good. When I bought my first pair of proper trainers they were like being given some new feet.

In a similar boat here. Used to run roughly 3 times a week but been 3 times in total since July

Have put about a stone on so looking to get back into it

Any tips for starting again? Ease back in, start c25k again?

In a similar boat here. Used to run roughly 3 times a week but been 3 times in total since July

Couch 2 5k was how I started but I was a total novice so the first few weeks sessions will probably not be stimulating enough if you have ran before. It starts one minute run one minute walk which is daunting for a first time runner but maybe not so much for someone who has ran before.

Couch 2 5k was how I started but I was a total novice so the first few weeks sessions will probably not be stimulating enough if you have ran before. It starts one minute run one minute walk which is daunting for a first time runner but maybe not so much for someone who has ran before.
I installed it and uninstalled it twice, my brother in laws lass did it and she is owa the moon with it. Went from never ever running to doing 5k a week. I think ill install it again and actually try it this time

If you don't want to do apps, why not build up time? Start at 5 minutes for example, do that a few times, then 7 minutes etc.

I installed it and uninstalled it twice, my brother in laws lass did it and she is owa the moon with it. Went from never ever running to doing 5k a week. I think ill install it again and actually try it this time

That's how I started a while ago tbh. It's a good system and way to introduce people to running rather than simply going all out first time, ruining yourself and never going again

Couch to 5k app is canny.
What I found the hardest was dragging my arse outside. Once out I was fine, but last year when I was struggling to run 5km I looked for any excuse not to get out and run
Definitely. I went out yesterday morning when it was around 1 degree and sleeting...I got thinking about all the people who would have made resolutions but would have sacked it off. especially if you're just starting you have to battle those excuses.

Good efforts from everyone in here - similar to the OP I started running in lockdown 1 but haven't been consistently since. Set myself a challenge to run every other day for 66 days (part of Gymshark66 if any of you have heard of it) to try and complete a 10k by 7 March. I've never run this far before but hopefully I can do it!

I’ve not put weight on but really struggled to motivate myself to run this past 6 months.

From tomorrow each day I’m going to do 1 mile, then, 1.5, then 2.0 and so on. Just for some sort of motivation to get me back to GNR standard.

I’ve not put weight on but really struggled to motivate myself to run this past 6 months.

From tomorrow each day I’m going to do 1 mile, then, 1.5, then 2.0 and so on. Just for some sort of motivation to get me back to GNR standard.
Half a mile every day? That's a big increase.

Don’t forget to rest! Don’t want to end up injured like me!

Half a mile every day? That's a big increase.
Aye, but I’ve done plenty running in the past so I know I’ll be able to do it.

it just gives me something to go at to get my arse back out on the pavements.
Don’t forget to rest! Don’t want to end up injured like me!
I might end up having the odd rest day chucked in if the weather isn’t great haha

Last edited:

Back