New three tier system announced

Is there a good example of a comparable country to the uk that has had a better outcome with minimal measures/interventions?

Germany?

I think generally the countries that managed it well, such as Australia and Greece, had strict measures in place very early; or were Asian countries with a culture and history of the people willingly taking on board any measures before even being mandated by the government.

Germany?

I think generally the countries that managed it well, such as Australia and Greece, had strict measures in place very early; or were Asian countries with a culture and history of the people willingly taking on board any measures before even being mandated by the government.

Germany have applied very similar measures/interventions as the uk , even probably a little earlier in the 2 waves.
They have definitely had better health and gdp outcomes though...

There doesn’t seem to be a shining example of the ‘no/minimal intervention’ approach. If there was I am sure more people would be supportive of it ...?

Germany have applied very similar measures/interventions as the uk , even probably a little earlier in the 2 waves.

There doesn’t seem to be a shining example of the ‘no/minimal intervention’ approach. If there was I am sure more people would be supportive of it ...?

There was an interesting graph in the Financial Times earlier this week which plotted economic impact against deaths.

Some countries (eg Germany) have taken a huge economic hit in order to save lives. Some countries (eg the US) have taken less action to save lives, and protected the economy a bit more. We are a real outlier, huge death toll and a huge economic hit.

Yep, saw that in the FT, I think it takes gdp impact upto Q2 2020.
There are other similar graphs which measure projected gdp impact for the next couple of years which put Germany in a much better place . Even on that measure uk still an outlier.

I think it's obvious minimal intervention won't work anywhere, unless you have a population who are fully compliant. The reason I mentioned Germany was because they have had measures in place but done much better than us.

With the rate our cases are coming down it wouldn’t be crazy to suggest we may be tier 1 , things are looking brighter and we will have 2 more weeks of tougher times and hopefully come out the other other side in a good place.
Only issue will be shops open December 3rd with Christmas shoppers

Germany?

I keep banging on about this, but i firmly believe that our mandatory quarantine has saved australia from the worst of covid. in late july Victoria (after their fuck up) had similar new case numbers per day as both france and the UK. Victoria has now had no new local cases for 29 days. All of New South Wales new cases for the last month or more have been from returning travellers which were picked up while in quarantine.
i was in a packed pub last night, having a beer after a walk around a packed city centre. resrictions are easing further and the state borders are opening up more and more. it's no 'normal' yet but it's looking close to it. hopefully this continues until we get a vaccine distributed.
if you keep letting people in and out of countries without effective quarantine you're going to keep spreading the virus, victoria has proved that here.

Back