New road layout - north bridge st

The new layout heading south towards the Wear mouth bridge is much better.

They should get rid of all the one way systems in Sunderland and go back to the traditional two way traffic across town

They’ve also done a completely ridiculous thing to the side streets opposite the fans museum. If you’re parked down there for the match, or to pop into one of the shops, you can no longer turn right back onto bridge street. If you want to head back towards the Sol, your only options are now to go through Howick Park to dame dot, or go left over the bridge, round the roundabout and back over the bridge. Lunacy.

The new layout heading south towards the Wear mouth bridge is much better.

They should get rid of all the one way systems in Sunderland and go back to the traditional two way traffic across town

I will have to give it a try at the weekend. Last time I can remember was in my Dads car sometime in the early 70’s - I still vividly remember looking at the bridge as we got closer to it , and having the sensation that we were going somewhere of note “ the town centre” I have always thought the one way system ruined the effect as well as being totally unnecessary.

I will have to give it a try at the weekend. Last time I can remember was in my Dads car sometime in the early 70’s - I still vividly remember looking at the bridge as we got closer to it , and having the sensation that we were going somewhere of note “ the town centre” I have always thought the one way system ruined the effect as well as being totally unnecessary.

Although it's not finished you can still drive down it! They need to resurface it and put traffic lights in, I think it's going to be good

Went over the bridge from Dame Dot approach at 9am on Monday, normally backed up to flats and normally a 15 minute wait......Literally over in about 3 mins......Why this has taken so long to impliment is beyond me........Allowing people to get to the likes of Tescos without having to go via Sea road etc is another no brainer......

The 90 degree turn you have to do at the Wheatsheaf isn't overly pleasant, particularly if you're in the left hand lane with a lorry in the right.
Another snowflake millennial who wasn’t taught how to drive in a Ford Capri!

Shift down to 2nd gear
Undertake the bus
Hard right full lock on the steering wheel
Brake
Just before you skid you accelerate

Practice by doing some doughnuts in an industrial estate.

The 90 degree turn you have to do at the Wheatsheaf isn't overly pleasant, particularly if you're in the left hand lane with a lorry in the right.
They need to remove the bit of curb that sticks out blocking the left most lane immediately after the turn. Awful section of road that, mostly because of shit houses trying to force their way from right to left on approach to falcon computers.

They’ve also done a completely ridiculous thing to the side streets opposite the fans museum. If you’re parked down there for the match, or to pop into one of the shops, you can no longer turn right back onto bridge street. If you want to head back towards the Sol, your only options are now to go through Howick Park to dame dot, or go left over the bridge, round the roundabout and back over the bridge. Lunacy.
When Dame Dorothy Street is done you'll be able to turn right there though won't you? Rather than just left over the bridge?

So travelling south down Newcastle Road you can keep going straight onto North Bridge Street at the Wheatsheaf?

Back