New Red Wine Suggestions

Other than what's been mentioned already there are some great Italian wines kicking about once you start to try.... Italy has the most grape varieties anywhere in the world. ..northern Italy where most of the classics are from .Brunello Di montalcino. ..barolo... Barbaresco.. ..look for winemakers such as prunotto or Masi....of course you then have Chianti a bit further south... Look out for wines by antinori.....in the south east puglia region the primitivo grape is big...and from Sicily the indigenous Nero d'avola variety is fantastic...

Now quaffing on an Australian Riverina Merlot but it did need some decanting for 30 minutes or so as it needed to shed some of its heft.
It’s now well rounded on the pallet with distinguishing dark plum and mulberry undertones. It’s rich and velvety with a very smooth finish. I would say its definately got my attention.

Love a drop of the old claret and I'm after trying some new grape and country varieties so open to suggestions.

I'm into French reds (Bordeaux) South American (Malbec) Kiwi Pinot Noir and loved South African Pintotage from my trip last year (look at me).

Know very little about Italian reds and Spanish (apart from Rioja).

What are the sophisticated smb folk supping?

FAO cask ale snobs,fuck off.
Love cask ales me.
You fuck off

sometimes the less obvious or less accessible are the best value for money... my favourite full bodied red will probably always be the Barolo from Italy, however they are not cheap, so for frequent/weekly consumption I tend to focus on probably the three most underrated regions in Europe for a very good red wine: Portugal, Hungary and Turkey

Portugal: most have tried a Douro, and my favourite region by far is further south.. try a red wine from the Alentejo region :cool:

Hungary: can be a bit hit and miss as they have an issue guaranteeing same standard of a particular vineyard year in year out (so can't secure licence with supermarkets) but hit the right one and you are onto a winner

Turkey: a bit like Portugal (or Italy) they stuck with their original grape variations and didn't follow rest of the World with the 4 types of French grape. Over here in NL there are Turkish restaurants who have them on their menu.. not really seen that in the UK?

current tip in the UK: go to your nearest Lidl, and they currently have a Douro in their selection... priced around 5.95 per bottle, I challenge anybody to say its not better than any other full bodied red in any supermarket across the UK that would cost much more... in fact lets say better than any other red up to at least a tenner! ;)

Tell ya where nobody has mentioned yet. Lebanon. Ixsir and musar are absolutely incredible wines at very decent prices.

A friend (from Lebanon) gave me a bottle as a gift one Xmas and I was pretty Meh til I drank it.

Go to Majestic, try a few to see what you like and buy some. I don’t agree with the banging on about one grape variety or region as the quality will vary massively. “I love Chilean Malbec” = idiot

Tell ya where nobody has mentioned yet. Lebanon. Ixsir and musar are absolutely incredible wines at very decent prices.

A friend (from Lebanon) gave me a bottle as a gift one Xmas and I was pretty Meh til I drank it.
Agreed , I had a bottle of lebanese cabernet out of m&s , was very good .

Back