new printer recommendations please

soapster

Striker
looking to buy a new printer for a member of the family. Needs to be easy to use, wifi and scans /copies.
Most importantly though, needs to be able to print on card up to 300gsm to make birthday / Christmas cards
I have been checking through the printers and the paper / card weight is never mentioned in most specs, so cannot establish if it is suitable or not.

cost of ink also taken into account

anybody any recommendations

I remember when saturday night was like the wild west on here. :(

Yeah with print-slinger's with their printers on either hips, in made to measure cross draw holsters and their belts filled with ink cartridges...sigh those were the days.... Milk out of a dirty glass and the Milky Bar kid run out of town backwards on a my little pony.:evil::lol::lol::lol:

Epson is not on the preferred list due to cost of ink

I've got an Epson all in one which is decent. I buy compatible ink from Perfect Print on Amazon. It's decent ink and much cheaper than genuine Epson inks.

I got a canny HP printer - Office-jet 4655 - for £40 from Ebuyer a few months ago, copies and scans even faxes plus it has that ink subscription thing where I pay £1.99 for 50 prints per month (3 months free and other options available to print more per month). Dinnar about thick paper mind

I've got an Epson all in one which is decent. I buy compatible ink from Perfect Print on Amazon. It's decent ink and much cheaper than genuine Epson inks.

EPSON XP-610 for the last 2years also use compatible ink not sure about 300gsm though.

What about an HP printer, and subscribe to instant ink. I have the hp envy 5530 and have printed on thin card ok, but i dont know what gsm it was.
I pay £3.49 per month for 100 pages, which i use to print A4 size photographs. 100 A4 colour photographs for the prce of a pint is decent value, and the inks have always arrived before ive ran out.

I had an Epson years ago, worked fine. decided to use compatable inks and it just stopped working 3 months later, stating I was using wrong ink. remember reading something about manufacturers being tasked that this was illegal. Is that the case. don't want to buy with that in mind and machine packs in.

What about an HP printer, and subscribe to instant ink. I have the hp envy 5530 and have printed on thin card ok, but i dont know what gsm it was.
I pay £3.49 per month for 100 pages, which i use to print A4 size photographs. 100 A4 colour photographs for the prce of a pint is decent value, and the inks have always arrived before ive ran out.

I have just put that to her and it gets the thumbs up. It actually makes a lot of sense. Many thanks

Last edited:
ive had a look on the website and a little unclear as to whether is a month or whether it is when needed

ive had a look on the website and a little unclear as to whether is a month or whether it is when needed
I pay £3.49 per month on a rolling contract.....there is no tie in and can cancel at any time. Ive had it for about 3 years now, and i have never ran out of ink. The printer is connected to the internet and when an ink is getting low it notifies hp, and the ink is automatically sent out. I dont replace it until the printer says its out of ink though.
For the £3.49 i can print 100 pages....print the word "the" on a page and it counts as one page. Print a full colour A4 photograph, its still one page....thats where the value is.

I got a canny HP printer - Office-jet 4655 - for £40 from Ebuyer a few months ago, copies and scans even faxes plus it has that ink subscription thing where I pay £1.99 for 50 prints per month (3 months free and other options available to print more per month). Dinnar about thick paper mind
This^^

iv got a similar printer, HP and it came with 5 months free ink , now pay a couple of quid a month and they automatically send cartridges out when it runs low. spot on tbh.

Back