New phone help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Session

Midfield
After always being a PAYG person, about 3 years ago I finally got my first contract phone from Phones4U, nothing special, a Samsung S4 mini on EE, or Life Mobile as it was known (now PlusNet Mobile). It's just basic, I pay £19 a month and have x amount of minutes and data - of which I don't use much.

I've been having a few problems recently with it saying something like 'google.process.gapps have stopped' so I showed my colleagues to try and fix and they said I could / should be paying a fiver or so for what I am currently getting.

Basically, I am after a new phone now as I'm sure it was just a 2 year contract but not really sure what the best way about it would be. Where is generally best to go, a big firm like CPW, or a small independent one? Is it better / easier to do it online? Would I just get a new phone and put my sim card in etc - I just don't really have a clue :lol:. Not after the best, something basic with limited calls and data would do.

Any help appreciated.

Find out if you're with EE, Life or PlusNet first and then speak to them.

The process issue you're getting could be down to a few things, a Google Play Services issue or a dodgy Samsung update possibly. Neither are down to you paying more than a fiver (!) for your phone.

After always being a PAYG person, about 3 years ago I finally got my first contract phone from Phones4U, nothing special, a Samsung S4 mini on EE, or Life Mobile as it was known (now PlusNet Mobile). It's just basic, I pay £19 a month and have x amount of minutes and data - of which I don't use much.

I've been having a few problems recently with it saying something like 'google.process.gapps have stopped' so I showed my colleagues to try and fix and they said I could / should be paying a fiver or so for what I am currently getting.

Basically, I am after a new phone now as I'm sure it was just a 2 year contract but not really sure what the best way about it would be. Where is generally best to go, a big firm like CPW, or a small independent one? Is it better / easier to do it online? Would I just get a new phone and put my sim card in etc - I just don't really have a clue :lol:. Not after the best, something basic with limited calls and data would do.

Any help appreciated.

If it is a new phone you want i would avoid any network shops including cpw get it done online you will get double minutes texts and data than you would from any shop, have a look at mobilephones.com they have some cracking deals on there look past the first few pages on the phone you want because the best deals are pages in

I'm afraid those s mini phones were always a bit pants.

If you have decent signal on 3, most people have, and you want a cheap deal, look at ID mobile, for £5 a month you'll get plenty minutes and texts and a gig of Internet.

Then look at a good middle range handset, like a moto 4g.

If you want to keep your own phone, do a factory reset and clean the cache (Google for instructions, it's easy enough)

I'm afraid those s mini phones were always a bit pants.

If you have decent signal on 3, most people have, and you want a cheap deal, look at ID mobile, for £5 a month you'll get plenty minutes and texts and a gig of Internet.

Then look at a good middle range handset, like a moto 4g.

If you want to keep your own phone, do a factory reset and clean the cache (Google for instructions, it's easy enough)
I've got a moto g4 on a monthly plan from Tesco including 4g. Excellent phone in its price range and the contract is 17 a month for 1000 minutes and 1gb of internet. Never used anywhere near that and price drops to 10 a month after 2 years.

£10 for 1Gb plus calls and texts :(

I wish there was a non "3" provider who did cheap deals like the ones you can get on 3. I pay half that, but I can't use 3 where we have the caravan as the signal is crap.

Before someone says "that's why its cheap", I could never get a Vodaphone (Probably the most expensive) signal at 2 different previous offices or my house. Its pot luck mostly when it comes to signal.

Any help appreciated.

Personally I always buy my phones outright on Ebay. Find how much you want to spend, then trawl through phones on auction to find the make you want. Make sure that the one you bid for is a) unlocked and b) being sold by a seller with 100% positive feedback which is recent. Obviously you get a warranty if you buy a phone from a high street shop but price wise they will stiff you.
If you are coming to the end of your contract ring your supplier and mention you are thinking of leaving them and they will offer you a new phone to keep you with them. I am with Talkmobile and a year ago they offered me a Galaxy (can't remember model) to stay with them so I flogged it on Ebay for £80. My contract was only £100 a year :lol:

I have nothing but good things to say about giffgaff. You can get a plan for as low as a fiver and it piggy backs on O2, which is a good signal (the only signal) at my place.

Thanks for the replies. I have done a factory reset as @PTR said to buy me a bit of time, but will definitely look into it this week. It was really annoying when that message appeared all the time but has gone now. Lost all my contact mind :lol:

Reactions: PTR
Thanks for the replies. I have done a factory reset as @PTR said to buy me a bit of time, but will definitely look into it this week. It was really annoying when that message appeared all the time but has gone now. Lost all my contact mind :lol:

Just go on GiffGaff and buy a handset and order a sim. You pay monthly with them, £10 a month for 2gb internet, 300 mins and unlimited texts (something like that). Excellent service.

I paid £190 for my handset from them a couple of years ago (Samsung Galaxy A3) and had no issues with any of it.

If you have a Quidco account then go through that as well as I ended up getting £45 cashback!

I just got an asus ZenFone from gearbest,it was £140 with the import charges and it came within a week, its miles better than the Sony one our lass has just paid £200 from over here.if you are buying from there all you need to do is check it supports the right 4g bands and then just get sim only. After using it for a few weeks ill never pay ridiculous monthly payments again,especially 24 month contracts. We seriously get ripped off in the UK, £6-700 for iphones and Samsung s7 edge etc :D

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=u...-android-asus&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

http://m.gearbest.com/cell-phones-c_11293/

I have nothing but good things to say about giffgaff. You can get a plan for as low as a fiver and it piggy backs on O2, which is a good signal (the only signal) at my place.
I've used Giffgaff for a good few years. Never had a major problem with signal (except when I was in Inverness last year). I get the £20 deal. Unlimited calls, texts and data. The data really is unlimited, I use on average 10gb per month, but it's very slow, less than 1mbps. Certainly can't stream a match with that, although that's usually a good thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back