New Music Releases Thread

They completely put me off the record. It's the kind of music where you really need half decent lyrics as well. Not like you can hide them within the overall sound.
Aye same here. I did laugh at the line about some lass showing her tits on some swings. Can't decide whether it was a laugh of derision or I'm just immature

New QOTSA single is absolutely abysmal, going downhill at an alarming rate unfortunately. Sounds like the f***ing Hoosiers or something. Shame, loved the first three albums.

Am enjoying the new Cribs material, particularly In Your Palace. Liking the Albini touch.

Not overly impressed by this new jeff tweedy record. He really sounds like he can't be arsed any more. One paced, one note half cocked acoustic facsimiles of his own songs. "Fuck it, that'll do", cash the record company cheque, and off down to the nearest all you can eat steakhouse.

New stuff listened to at the weekend:

Radiohead: OK Computer as good as ever, three new songs all excellent, B-sides a mixed bag.
King Gizzard, crazy, brilliant
Jeff Tweedy: low key, kind of enjoyable
Vince Staples: very good, very innovative
Bedouine: really enjoying this. Latest from Matthew E White's Spacebomb, soulful folk, lovely voice
Rick Tomlinson: formerly Voice of the Seven Woods and also Voice of the Seven Thunders, now releasing under his own name. Instumental guitar tunes, very interesting.
Algiers: essentially continuing on the road they started to travel on their debut. Post-punk and electronica and soul fusion. Excellent!
Laurel Halo: glitchy electronica with vocals, not immediately grabbing me so hopefully a grower.

Radiohead: OK Computer as good as ever, three new songs all excellent, B-sides a mixed bag.
Bedouine: really enjoying this. Latest from Matthew E White's Spacebomb, soulful folk, lovely voice
Rick Tomlinson: formerly Voice of the Seven Woods and also Voice of the Seven Thunders, now releasing under his own name. Instumental guitar tunes, very interesting.
Algiers: essentially continuing on the road they started to travel on their debut. Post-punk and electronica and soul fusion. Excellent!
Laurel Halo: glitchy electronica with vocals, not immediately grabbing me so hopefully a grower.

I thought it would be a banjo-led folk album:
Logon or register to see this image

I've never listened to Algiers but that sounds interesting, will give them a go.

Agree with what you said about Vince Staples. Fair play for having the balls to experiment that much. Only problem with it was his vocals seemed a little quiet on some of the songs.

I've never listened to Algiers but that sounds interesting, will give them a go.

Agree with what you said about Vince Staples. Fair play for having the balls to experiment that much. Only problem with it was his vocals seemed a little quiet on some of the songs.

Yeah, that's probably the one problem with the Vince Staples album.

There's a mixed bag of new stuff this week: Doldrums, Calvin Harris, Baio, Floating Points, Jay Z (only through Tidal and some other service), TLC, Washed Out, Mark Kozelek and Sean Yeaton (Parquet Courts bass player), A Blaze of Feather, Stone Sour, Sworn In, The Acacia Strain, the C88 compilation, Beach House B-sides and rareities comp, Terry, Daniel O'Sullivan, Peter Perrett, Lee Bains III & the Glory Fires, GospelbeacH, James Elkington.

There's a mixed bag of new stuff this week: Doldrums, Calvin Harris, Baio, Floating Points, Jay Z (only through Tidal and some other service), TLC, Washed Out, Mark Kozelek and Sean Yeaton (Parquet Courts bass player), A Blaze of Feather, Stone Sour, Sworn In, The Acacia Strain, the C88 compilation, Beach House B-sides and rareities comp, Terry, Daniel O'Sullivan, Peter Perrett, Lee Bains III & the Glory Fires, GospelbeacH, James Elkington.
Thanks. As always. Kozelek. Meh

Nothing there takes my fancy (of the names I know anyway). Are there any of the less obvious ones that might be my cup of tea?

Will check the Beach House stuff out, ta.

Nothing there takes my fancy (of the names I know anyway). Are there any of the less obvious ones that might be my cup of tea?

Lee Bains III and James Elkington are the obvious pair from that list. Lee Bains III is southern rock (quite Drive By Truckersesque) and James Elkington is a guitarist who's worked with RIchard Thompson, Steve Gunn and Jeff Tweedy amongst others. What I've heard of his solo stuff is along the lines of the folkier side of Americana.

Kacy Hill not on that list has her debut album out tomorrow. EP a couple of years back was pretty good. Dreamy pop music essentially. Aside from that, Washed Out and maybe Jay Z will be alright.

We're all excited for though for the return of TLC though aren't we?

Kacy Hill not on that list has her debut album out tomorrow. EP a couple of years back was pretty good. Dreamy pop music essentially. Aside from that, Washed Out and maybe Jay Z will be alright.

We're all excited for though for the return of TLC though aren't we?

Aye, I only list things I can find. I get Rough Trade's mail of new releases on a Friday and that often includes stuff I've missed from searching a couple of sites.

TLC tomorrow, En Vogue in the next 2 or 3 months.We live in wonderful times!

Aye, I only list things I can find. I get Rough Trade's mail of new releases on a Friday and that often includes stuff I've missed from searching a couple of sites.

TLC tomorrow, En Vogue in the next 2 or 3 months.We live in wonderful times!

I always use metacritic for new releases and it's not listed on there either to be fair. Only saw when the Telegraph's music account tweeted about it.

Back