New Music Releases Thread

The Cousins gets better and better with every listen. It's a bizarrely diverse album, yet it's not at all disjointed, flows well and not one song seems out of place (not even the weird electro-pop tracks).

Conor Oberst is great too, the Rumination tracks needed the full band treatment IMO (I felt it was lacking a little something before) and I'm loving the new tracks, Napalm especially!
Ruminations was one of my favorites albums of last year, so I had high expectations of the new album. Got to admit, I think it's seriously lacking. The 'full band' experience was seriously lacking and so middle of the road it was boring.

The vocal punch is not there on a single song. Listen to anything on the new one, and compare it to the Ruminations version. The difference in vocals is staggering as far as I'm concerned...

Chuffed to bits this week - I got a like (but no retweet) from Mr Bright Eyes himself, and retweets from The Cousins' Harland Williams (27k followers) and the Barenaked Ladies Fansite "Get Barenaked" (23k followers). It doesn't seem to translate into many blog views though!

Ruminations was one of my favorites albums of last year, so I had high expectations of the new album. Got to admit, I think it's seriously lacking. The 'full band' experience was seriously lacking and so middle of the road it was boring.

The vocal punch is not there on a single song. Listen to anything on the new one, and compare it to the Ruminations version. The difference in vocals is staggering as far as I'm concerned...
I disagree. But I'm just about the only person in the World who thought Ruminations sounded unfinished and bare. The only Ruminations version I prefer to its Salutations counterpart is "A Little Uncanny", which was probably my favourite song of 2016. The full band just lifts the songs IMO, and I don't agree about it lacking vocal punch, the vocals on each have just as much impact as each other to me (in fact, I did read one review that said he actually used the original recordings and layered the new instruments over the top but I don't know if that's true or not).

Last edited:
Chuffed to bits this week - I got a like (but no retweet) from Mr Bright Eyes himself, and retweets from The Cousins' Harland Williams (27k followers) and the Barenaked Ladies Fansite "Get Barenaked" (23k followers). It doesn't seem to translate into many blog views though!

I disagree. But I'm just about the only person in the World who thought Ruminations sounded unfinished and bare. The only Ruminations version I prefer to its Salutations counterpart is "A Little Uncanny", which was probably my favourite song of 2016. The full band just lifts the songs IMO, and I don't agree about it lacking vocal punch, the vocals on each have just as much impact as each other to me (in fact, I did read one review that said he actually used the original recordings and layered the new instruments over the top but I don't know if that's true or not).
I will listen again anyway as I still enjoyed it somewhat. The two times I have so far were on the commute to work and while running, so to be fair I may not have listened to it with full concentration.

I would be surprised if the original recordings were used mind, he genuinely sounds different on a few vocals. Whether that's a studio thing or not, I really didn't get the same impact from the vocals. It must just be me...! :lol:

Tomorrow's releases include: Boss Hogg, Craig Finn, James Blunt :eek:, Jethro Tull, Laetitia Sadier Source Ensemble, Mount Eerie, Raekwon (sure he released an album 2 or 3 weeks back), Soulwax, Spiral Stairs, Steel Panther, Steve Hackett, The Bug vs Earth, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Wolf Eyes, The Moonlandingz, Inna De Yard, Samantha Crain and Brent Cobb.

Tomorrow's releases include: Boss Hogg, Craig Finn, James Blunt :eek:, Jethro Tull, Laetitia Sadier Source Ensemble, Mount Eerie, Raekwon (sure he released an album 2 or 3 weeks back), Soulwax, Spiral Stairs, Steel Panther, Steve Hackett, The Bug vs Earth, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Wolf Eyes, The Moonlandingz, Inna De Yard, Samantha Crain and Brent Cobb.
I'm not sure what to go for this week, any recommendations?

I'll go for Steel Panther (they are always a bit of fun, and I know they have retweeted fan stuff in the past which would help my blog), but other than that I'm not sure. Definitely avoiding James Blunt, unsure about going for both Soulwax and TJ&MC as I've only ever been moderately interested in either.

I'm not sure what to go for this week, any recommendations?

I'll go for Steel Panther (they are always a bit of fun, and I know they have retweeted fan stuff in the past which would help my blog), but other than that I'm not sure. Definitely avoiding James Blunt, unsure about going for both Soulwax and TJ&MC as I've only ever been moderately interested in either.

Craig Finn might be something you'd like. He's the singer from The Hold Steady so his usual trade is lyrically complex indie rock. Brent Cobb and Samantha Crain are both alt country/Americana types. Moonlandingz are a sort of spin off of Fat White Family. I'm intrigued by The Bug vs Earth because the two artists involved are completely contrasting... the Mount Eerie album is getting good reviews (one of the best albums about the process of grieving ever seemingly).

Craig Finn might be something you'd like. He's the singer from The Hold Steady so his usual trade is lyrically complex indie rock. Brent Cobb and Samantha Crain are both alt country/Americana types. Moonlandingz are a sort of spin off of Fat White Family. I'm intrigued by The Bug vs Earth because the two artists involved are completely contrasting... the Mount Eerie album is getting good reviews (one of the best albums about the process of grieving ever seemingly).
Thanks. I've done some googling and wiki-ing and I think I've chosen this week's 3. Steel Panther, Samantha Crain and Creeper (who weren't on your list but according to Wiki they claim to be heavily influenced by AFI, Tiger Army, Bouncing Souls and David Bowie so might be up my streets).

Thanks. I've done some googling and wiki-ing and I think I've chosen this week's 3. Steel Panther, Samantha Crain and Creeper (who weren't on your list but according to Wiki they claim to be heavily influenced by AFI, Tiger Army, Bouncing Souls and David Bowie so might be up my streets).

Aye, I missed them...

And Johnny Flynn! Sillion. I've been waiting an age for this and the few I've heard are along the same lines as his other stuff, no huge progression, but that's fine by me.
I don't expect anyone gives the tiniest of shits - but I felt he had to be included. :lol:

Cheers for Hurray for the Riff Raff suggestion - had a quick listen and sounds good.

And Johnny Flynn! Sillion. I've been waiting an age for this and the few I've heard are along the same lines as his other stuff, no huge progression, but that's fine by me.
I don't expect anyone gives the tiniest of shits - but I felt he had to be included. :lol:

Cheers for Hurray for the Riff Raff suggestion - had a quick listen and sounds good.

I always have to forget at least two. I've still to get Rough Trade Shops' list of new releases and there'll be things on there I've missed as well.

Did you see that BNL are collaborating with The Persuasions to add some a cappella vibes to their old songs?

Did you see that BNL are collaborating with The Persuasions to add some a cappella vibes to their old songs?
Yep, there's videos of the sessions kicking around, and the proper release is April 14th. Studio album (titled "Fake Nudes" at the moment AFAIK) to follow later in the year.

Back