NEW MODS - say hello

Ah, the Globe! A place I'd probably rather forget after the 5-1 (just as well that I was so pissed I can't really remember any of it!). Not my finest moment, but was good meeting you and Horatio there. Cracking lads. Enjoy the modship!

I'm trying to decide what was more disturbing that day.

That 5-1 (the last time the scum beat us - you could tell Bruce was a mag manager in the making) or that @wildbird stealing the show by announcing straight after the game, she was ditching her man @kingofthetown as he'd come out as a full time drag queen.

That was a very odd moment in time that day.

I'm trying to decide what was more disturbing that day.

That 5-1 (the last time the scum beat us - you could tell Bruce was a mag manager in the making) or that @wildbird stealing the show by announcing straight after the game, she was ditching her man @kingofthetown as he'd come out as a full time drag queen.

That was a very odd moment in time that day.
They beat us a year after the 5-1 at the sol. Ryan Taylor free kick iirc

wait till I’m one 😉

It's actually a really good idea, given your exceptionally long fuse. :eek:
Grrrr, I was trying to forget that!!!

I think the buggers spent the entire 90 minutes singing about the 5-1.

They still do, a decade with nothing else to sing about. Such a relief that their 'kids' (didn't we field the youngest player in the game?) took a hammering in the EFL Trophy when 10,000 of them wanted to watch because they weren't bothered.

Last edited:
@Snappy @McMackem

Congrats on your new position, anytime you need help on a thread let me know.

I am big in favour of self moderated forums so that we can all get along well together and keep the job of the Mods to a minimum.

Recently I notice a lot less bullying and abuse on the forum so we are getting there, onwards and upwards.

Hello! My name is McMackem.

I've actually been around just about as long as the board I think, and the Blackcats mailing list/bulletin board before that. there was a terrible mishap with logins that (I can't remember why) led to McMackem2 for a while IIRC. I used to predominantly only post in PF and often matchdays only, lurking the rest of the time bar a bit of ninja posting.

Run a guesthouse and some holiday lets in Edinburgh with Mrs McMackem (no) having previously been a lecturer in Operations Management and then Dean of a University Business School until 2006 when I took voluntary to make some money for ourselves, that plan was working fine until last March...

In all honesty I would describe myself as a Sunderland fan, rather than a football fan, I no longer watch games unless I have an interest in them. Sunderland was thrust upon me via my Dad's side, a Hendon Lad. I have a lot of family round the City - a few ST's in there who lurk on here. No idea of my first game, it may well have been in 1972 , but we moved to Newcastle in 1975 from Scotland to do missionary work and I was an ST from 75-76, we left the NE three years later to Aberdeen(ish) and I then held an ST under my own steam from 83 to 03 I think when it was getting hard to justify as missing too many games and dropped to being just a regular, that included the original standing ST's in the Fulwell. I was a far better runner than footballer, being coached for a while by Mike McLeod. Never much good but played as a striker, only notable thing being in the same team as Micky hazard and other non-WC Spurs players in a friendly in 1982.

Oh and @Horatio Moustache you're too kind! The other poster I remember from the Globe days in Edinburgh was @Guinness Guzzler, apologies I know there are others but the names escape me.

Just had a huge epiphany!! Thanks to the "Great Sporting Moments" thread it's dawned on me that I know I was in Sunderland on the day of Red Rum's first win - I knew my first match was a 2-2 draw but was never certain when 72/73 ish. Thanks to the story below, I now know after all these decades what my first game was and that I definitely saw most of the cup winning side before the final!! I'm a bit overcome.

March 31st 1973, 8 year old me had the paper pushed towards me in my Uncle Harry and Aunt Jen's kitchen in Farringdon, we were down visiting - "pick a horse" - I looked through the names and I saw red rum and thought that will do. My uncle laughed "eeee, going for an outsider - no chance, do you think we'll win the cup as well?" [turns out we were playing Arsenal in the semi the week after, but I didn't know that then]. Now given the date of the race I now know that the game was with Bristol City, we drew 2-2 (knew that much) with me in the main stand Roker End. I've only figured the opposition and year out now because of the Grand National.

Back