New Laptop Help

Squirrel

Central Defender
Sorry wasn't sure where to put this. Anyone able to advise?

Son needs a new laptop for school work and would preferably be able to run games aswell.

Budget not the biggest but willing to look at anything if it's worthwhile.

I've not bought a new laptop in about 10 years since I used to play Football Manager regularly.

If anyone could point me in the right direction for something decent it would beuch appreciated.

What sorta games will he be playing, that's the main question really. That then dictates how much £££ is needed for the budget!

Unless gaming is essential, grab a console and get a cheaper laptop.

As above what games? If you are wanting something that'll do console like games you are looking upwards of £1500. You can get a decent laptop for £500 for anything else, I have just specced one up for my mate

Sorry wasn't sure where to put this. Anyone able to advise?

Son needs a new laptop for school work and would preferably be able to run games aswell.

Budget not the biggest but willing to look at anything if it's worthwhile.

I've not bought a new laptop in about 10 years since I used to play Football Manager regularly.

If anyone could point me in the right direction for something decent it would beuch appreciated.
Just buy an Xbox and a cheaper laptop.

What sorta games will he be playing, that's the main question really. That then dictates how much £££ is needed for the budget!

Unless gaming is essential, grab a console and get a cheaper laptop.
As above what games? If you are wanting something that'll do console like games you are looking upwards of £1500. You can get a decent laptop for £500 for anything else, I have just specced one up for my mate
Just buy an Xbox and a cheaper laptop.

Yeah I've talked him out of the need for gaming. He has a PS5 so no need. Although I'd like to be able to run FM on it. 😄.

Probably looking to spend £300-£500.

He's been given a free download for Microsoft Office from school.

Yeah I've talked him out of the need for gaming. He has a PS5 so no need. Although I'd like to be able to run FM on it. 😄.

He's been given a free download for Microsoft Office from school.
I don't think you need much for football manager these days

Honestly mate, you will struggle to get a gaming laptop for £500.

I struggled to see anything approaching decent for less than £800 pre-inflation and chip shortages.

I think I payed £1,200 for mine and that was an absolute steal at the time given the specs. You get less bang for your buck with gaming laptops unfortunately.

A cheaper machine will run FM though, so you could certainly please yourself if not your son. :lol:

Last edited:

I struggled to see anything approaching decent for less than £800 pre-inflation and chip shortages.

I think I payed £1,200 for mine and that was an absolute steal at the time given the specs. You get less bang for your buck with gaming laptops unfortunately.

A cheaper machine will run FM though, so you could certainly please yourself if not your son. :lol:
Well I've just read that FM is being released on PS5 this year so that will satisfy my requirements and I've talked him out of the need for a gaming one - unless he wants to save and get one himself in a few years time 🤣

Have looked at the suggestions above and will be going to show him some in the shops over the weekend so cheers for your help all.

Well I've just read that FM is being released on PS5 this year so that will satisfy my requirements and I've talked him out of the need for a gaming one - unless he wants to save and get one himself in a few years time 🤣

Have looked at the suggestions above and will be going to show him some in the shops over the weekend so cheers for your help all.
I pulled out £1600 for the bairns pc, and that was just the base unit. Took me a year to pay the bassa off. That was 2020, he'd been using the same laptop for 6 or 7 years and it was just garbage for remote working.

It was a spec that should last a few more years, he'll be knocking 20 by then so it won't be my problem any more.

Probably pay about £600 for the basic versions, but the Microsoft Surface Laptops ( the proper laptops, not the tablets with a clip on keyboard) are good. I bought two for me and my wife when I was working for myself, and my new job came with one. All three have been excellent.

Its wrong to even sell some of them as 'gaming' laptops to be honest, there'll be a lot of disappointed people out there. I bought the bairn one this time last year and spent hours looking, ended up paying for a decent one in the end

Its wrong to even sell some of them as 'gaming' laptops to be honest, there'll be a lot of disappointed people out there. I bought the bairn one this time last year and spent hours looking, ended up paying for a decent one in the end
I'd rather pay over a grand for something that will last 4 or 5 years than 500 for something that wil disappoint from day one personally.

Best thing to do IMO is to buy a relatively cheap laptop and get the XBox ultimate game pass. He can play Xbox games at a graphical quality far in excess capable by mid-range PC graphics cards as the Xbox servers do the graphical heavy shifting. Then he's got his PS5 console and XBox game pass ultimate - all bases covered to play online with his mates. Oh, and you'll get FM22 and FM23 free (when it comes out) with Ultimate!

Back