New knee,

Me! Had a knee replacement due to wear and tear. Sadly I've ended up with more pain and nerve damage to my leg and foot. The consultant first said it was due to the tourniquet being on too tight during the op, then backtracked and now says it's to do with the spinal fusion I had years ago.

However a friend had his done a month after me with the same consultant and he's currently climbing in the Lake District.
The consultant is entitled to time off, shirley ;)

I had one 3 years ago aged 53. Smarts a tad straight after the op. Follow the exercises . Was golfing again after just over 3 months. Pain free. Wished I had it done earlier.

Isn't the age thing more to do with the life span of the artificial knee? I was told by a GP that they do the op when you get to an age that the knee will outlast you so they don't have to do the operation a second time.
Yeah he said because you are still active and working the knee would only last between 4 and 7 years then it would need to be replaced again he said they can only do the replacement 3 times then there is a possibility of amputation,I didn’t like the sound of that so I just keep taking the tablets :neutral:

Had one 3 years ago at 38. Best thing I’ve ever done. Still go out running & biking. Can’t get to much bend out of it & like others have said it’s painful to kneel. I’ve read about a medical study from America that says being physically active after a knee replacement does not reduce the lifespan of the replacement joint.

Every time you have a joint replacement they have to take more bone away, which is why there’s a limit - if the bone gets too thin it’ll just give way. It’s important to try and prevent/reduce osteoporosis as well as that’ll make the bone even weaker.

One of my relatives ended up in hospital permanently until she died shortly afterwards. They tried to fix her hip but her bones were like chalk, there was nothing solid enough to put a new hip into. She had to live without a hip joint for the remainder of her time.

Had mine done at 44 as years of being a shit midfield general.

I wish I had suffered with it as much as I could. On reflection I wish I’d kept going.
Only benefit I got a full pension at that age due to it.

I wasn’t expecting the pain. My god it is painful. Take as much medication as they will give you neve soldier on. My advice.

Do all the excercises and do them properly. You’ll feel like giving up but keep going. I did morning noon night. With ice bags on.

Now I have massive bend. Walk decent and sometimes forget I’ve had it done.
I can’t run, knee down and it’s totally numb.

My other has gone very quickly. You end up compensating walking, standing and my left now needs doing. No way am I going through that shit again.
I was knocked out. They don’t want that and an epidural is suggested. I couldn’t have that.

All in all, mixed with it. I’m not half as fit as I was, probably in similar pain all over.

Not a pleasant experience at all.

Good luck.

Had one 3 years ago at 38. Best thing I’ve ever done. Still go out running & biking. Can’t get to much bend out of it & like others have said it’s painful to kneel. I’ve read about a medical study from America that says being physically active after a knee replacement does not reduce the lifespan of the replacement joint.
I had one done six years ago when I was 44. Was told they had put a new type in that was expected to last up to 35 years. Couldn't give any firm guarantees as no-one had had one of this type that had been in for anything like that period of time.

Was told to avoid any kind of sport and anything that would cause impact through the joint - running being the main thing. Started playing cricket again six months after the op as I wanted one last chance to turn out in the same team as my lad. Still playing now (sorry, Mr O'Brien), and get no bother from the knee that was replaced. It's the other bugger that giving me gip now.

Went to see about the other one and was told to try some leg-strengthening exercises as I was too young for another replacement?!:confused:

Oh. It hurts like a b@@tard for the first couple of weeks after the op.

I need one but the consultant said he won’t do it as I’m to young so he told me to grin and bare it till I can’t stand the pain anymore then come back and see him ...Cheers Doc just keep prescribing the tramadol and naproxen then
This, only 7 more years then I can get a new knee, the 8 previous ops have been fuckin useless

Last edited:
Isn't the age thing more to do with the life span of the artificial knee? I was told by a GP that they do the op when you get to an age that the knee will outlast you so they don't have to do the operation a second time.

That is what they told a lad I worked with, he was mid forties at the time and the doctor said unless he was crippled they wouldn't do a knee replacement as they'd have to go in again once or even twice before he died. Another bloke at works wife has just had both knees done - she struggled to walk and now seems a load better and already walking in the mountains in Taiwan, she is early-mid sixties I think.

Back