New knee,

Me! Had a knee replacement due to wear and tear. Sadly I've ended up with more pain and nerve damage to my leg and foot. The consultant first said it was due to the tourniquet being on too tight during the op, then backtracked and now says it's to do with the spinal fusion I had years ago.

However a friend had his done a month after me with the same consultant and he's currently climbing in the Lake District.

I need one but the consultant said he won’t do it as I’m to young so he told me to grin and bare it till I can’t stand the pain anymore then come back and see him ...Cheers Doc just keep prescribing the tramadol and naproxen then

I'm only asking cos I'm having to have one. I'd like to know of other posters experience if that's okay with you.
If ever I need to know about brain removal I'll pm you.
Just be prepared that it will be painful. And make sure you do the exercises as this will help. They'll have you up and moving around the next day - which was fine by me as I wanted to get out of there. I was shocked to discover that I can't actually kneel on it, I wasn't expecting that.

And good luck! :)

I need one but the consultant said he won’t do it as I’m to young so he told me to grin and bare it till I can’t stand the pain anymore then come back and see him ...Cheers Doc just keep prescribing the tramadol and naproxen then
I was also told that I was too young, but he agreed to do it. If it makes you feel any better I'm still taking both lots of tablets after the operation.

Last edited:
Dodgy op.

Not so simple as a hip job, that’s why I never risked it and my knees have been knacked for forty years and more.

Isn't the age thing more to do with the life span of the artificial knee? I was told by a GP that they do the op when you get to an age that the knee will outlast you so they don't have to do the operation a second time.

Anyone had one ?
not new ones, I've had cartilage operations on both. My left 2 years ago, that one has recovered really well and is almost "as good as new". I'm guessing because I was really thorough with the physio and exercises I was supposed to do afterwards. But I had the right knee done about 6months ago, but that one hasn't recovered so well, mainly because I was a bit lax with the exercises, plus it's a bit numb which I'm putting down to some nerve damage while doing the keyhole surgery.
I saw the consultant a couple of weeks ago, but he has signed me off, back to my GP, saying it's all hunky dory

Isn't the age thing more to do with the life span of the artificial knee? I was told by a GP that they do the op when you get to an age that the knee will outlast you so they don't have to do the operation a second time.
Most are between the ages 60-80. I'm not quite in that category yet - so some people are considered based on deterioration and level of pain etc. :)

Most are between the ages 60-80. I'm not quite in that category yet - so some people are considered based on deterioration and level of pain etc. :)

Yeah there will be cases that are the exception to the rule. Not sure how much the op or the knee costs but the way the NHS is I can see something like that being their policy

same here. both knees. at times they feel like wanting to give way. I told the doctor I had arthritis because an operation I had 30yrs ago doctor told me arthritis was there.

went to doctor and told her how bad my knees were. sent for xrays, and youve guessed it she says 'youve got arthritis'. Me 'I told you that'.

apparently not bad enough for a replacement. I asked about pain relief and was advised to buy paracetamol.

3yrs later I'm much worse but wont go back to doctors 2 weeks to get an appointment

Back