new Greek holiday tax

soapster

Striker
well the holiday season is nearly upon us, so getting ready.
I understand The Greek Government brought in a new tax on Jan 1st for those staying in hotels, apartments etc.
Some people will already have been to Greece for their holidays / break. need to get some advice.
We are stopping in a self catering apt, so don't expect fee to be that high.
Anybody know how that fee is paid and when. is it paid to travel company or the accommodation owners and how can we check how much is due to be paid, so can work that in with spending money

well the holiday season is nearly upon us, so getting ready.
I understand The Greek Government brought in a new tax on Jan 1st for those staying in hotels, apartments etc.
Some people will already have been to Greece for their holidays / break. need to get some advice.
We are stopping in a self catering apt, so don't expect fee to be that high.
Anybody know how that fee is paid and when. is it paid to travel company or the accommodation owners and how can we check how much is due to be paid, so can work that in with spending money
From Thomas Cook:

From 1 January 2018, you’ll need to pay an Overnight Stay Tax which has been introduced by the Greek Ministry of Tourism and aims to enhance the State’s revenue in the context of the current fiscal adjustment programme. This will be collected from you when you get to your accommodation.

The tax works out between 0.50 - 4 Euros per night per person. The amount you’ll pay will depend on the official rating of your accommodation.

Is that legal in the EU?

I assume they are charging domestic travellers as well, or it it just for Johnny Foreigner?

how can we calculate the cost of the stay as our package includes flights and transfers.

its b class rating
Apartments (all categories): 0.50 Euros per room per night

Hotels:
1-2 star: 0.50 Cents per room per night

3 star: 1.50 Euros per room per night

4 star: 3.00 Euros per room per night

5 star: 4.00 Euros per room per night

Payment can be made by cash or card.

just been on to TUI. they don't know is the answer
searching around some companies add it in to cost some don't. TUI don't

Hope this is accurate

Apartments (all categories): 0.50 Euros per room per night
Hotels:
1-2 star: 0.50 Cents per room per night
3 star: 1.50 Euros per room per night
4 star: 3.00 Euros per room per night
5 star: 4.00 Euros per room per night

so self catering is looking like 7euros for two weeks. I can live with that

as weve been before the accommodation has a ceiling fan and room safe is free, so still quids in

it was pavorottis overnight stay tax that opened everything up on google. cheers lads

Last edited:
when me and our lass (no) went to Budapest we had to pay about 4 euro for a 2 night stay. its fuck all, but it helps them to bring a bit more money in for them. no qualms here.

Back