New Flights To Munich From Newcastle

Someone on the PPRuNe forums predicted this route a few months ago. They also mentioned Oslo & Bergen. The map below is taken from the airports Masterplan 2035.

Logon or register to see this image

Ambitious plan.
I could see Turkish trying Istanbul to compete with Emirates for far east traffic, but Delhi, Beijing and Hong Kong seem unlikely to me. If New York didnt work, I'd be amazed if Atlanta did

Munich should work though, reasonable connections with Lufthansa, and the tourist traffic, should be sustainable. If the airport can sustain a Dusseldorf flight, Munich should work a treat.

Budapest would be class and probably sustainable, but I dont know who would be interest enough to operate it. Ryanair maybe?

Ambitious plan.
I could see Turkish trying Istanbul to compete with Emirates for far east traffic, but Delhi, Beijing and Hong Kong seem unlikely to me. If New York didnt work, I'd be amazed if Atlanta did

Munich should work though, reasonable connections with Lufthansa, and the tourist traffic, should be sustainable. If the airport can sustain a Dusseldorf flight, Munich should work a treat.

Budapest would be class and probably sustainable, but I dont know who would be interest enough to operate it. Ryanair maybe?
EasyJet used to fly to Budapest from Teesside.
I don't know why they discontinued that route from Teesside, because it was a popular destination, and with there being a lot of Hungarians living in the North East, the flights to Budapest, were usually in high demand.

EasyJet used to fly to Budapest from Teesside.
I don't know why they discontinued that route from Teesside, because it was a paopular destination, and with there being a lot of Hungarians living in the North East, the flights to Budapest, were usually in high demand.

Jet2 do Budapest from Leeds, they might be the obvious one if the airport did get a Budapest flight.

Surprised Prague isn't on the airports masterplan.

Ambitious plan.

Everything at Newcastle is a pipedream.

Imagine not being able to get the custom for a daily flight to the East Coast of the USA.

It's good for nothing more than package holidays to the EU.

Ambitious plan.

Atlanta is the busiest airport, and largest hub, in North America.

This is true, but NYC is the bigger tourist city, and offered pretty good onward connections and it didnt last.

One of the reasons NYC didn't last was cost. It was cheaper to fly via AMS or LHR than direct from NCL. In some cases there was about £200 difference. There's also cargo to take in to consideration too. Emirates carries a fair amount to/from NCL. Then there's yield......

One of the reasons NYC didn't last was cost. It was cheaper to fly via AMS or LHR than direct from NCL. In some cases there was about £200 difference. There's also cargo to take in to consideration too. Emirates carries a fair amount to/from NCL. Then there's yield......

Newcastle flights always seem dearer than anywhere else. But maybe that's just me.

The cargo element is interesting and a lot depends on the aircraft. Emirates can get a lot into the 777, but I cant imagine Delta (who are the most likely to do ATL) would put anything near as big on a run to NCL. United were using a 757. Cargo options might be limited. Significant, but limited.

As for yield. I just cant think that the yield for Atlanta would be any higher than NYC. If people from the northeast wouldnt pay to go direct to NY, and would rather save money and transit through Heathrow or Schiphol, I cant see them paying more for Atlanta. Then if they reduce the fare too much, they hit the yield.

Dont get me wrong, I'd love to see that kind of flight at Newcastle. But I'm not sure that it would be sustainable.

Newcastle flights always seem dearer than anywhere else. But maybe that's just me.

The cargo element is interesting and a lot depends on the aircraft. Emirates can get a lot into the 777, but I cant imagine Delta (who are the most likely to do ATL) would put anything near as big on a run to NCL. United were using a 757. Cargo options might be limited. Significant, but limited.

As for yield. I just cant think that the yield for Atlanta would be any higher than NYC. If people from the northeast wouldnt pay to go direct to NY, and would rather save money and transit through Heathrow or Schiphol, I cant see them paying more for Atlanta. Then if they reduce the fare too much, they hit the yield.

Dont get me wrong, I'd love to see that kind of flight at Newcastle. But I'm not sure that it would be sustainable.

Newcastle is more expensive mate - when I fly back I fly into Leeds instead, last time it was gonna be 800quid to fly into newcastle for 4 of us return, cost 200 into leeds.

I was in Atlanta earlier in the year and the airport is ridiculous - class city mind

Owt to see/do other than get pissed?
The Deutsches Museum is mint. Absolutely massive, fascinating, and has a life sized mine in the basement which me and my mate almost missed as the place is labyrinthine. :lol:

Didn't the NY flight actually take you to New Jersey? I flew to that airport once before and it was a pain to get to NY proper, through NJ train station where I was sure I was going to get murdered.

Last edited by a moderator:
good news , needs to be more city destinations from newcastle , budapest lisbon and valencia would all be a success IMO

Back