New Development (toll bar - ryhope)

Don’t you realise that the ruthless capitalists who own the brands you mention would be here in a shot if they hadn’t already realised that Sunderland is full of penniless fools who shop online because it’s cheapest, drive to the metro because parking is free and then twist that the city centre isn’t full of nice shops for people to look at but not actually use? The facilities come to you if the coin is there. They don’t need forcing.
Absolute sense again Chubs coming out of your mouth

Don’t you realise that the ruthless capitalists who own the brands you mention would be here in a shot if they hadn’t already realised that Sunderland is full of penniless fools who shop online because it’s cheapest, drive to the metro because parking is free and then twist that the city centre isn’t full of nice shops for people to look at but not actually use? The facilities come to you if the coin is there. They don’t need forcing.
It’s not about me realising it though is it. It’s about the city changing and evolving to encourage these brands to be here regardless of what you’ve said.

It’s not about me realising it though is it. It’s about the city changing and evolving to encourage these brands to be here regardless of what you’ve said.
How do they encourage them? If there’s a sniff of a development the social media brains trust is all over it screaming corruption and bribery.

How do they encourage them? If there’s a sniff of a development the social media brains trust is all over it screaming corruption and bribery.
I don’t know but surely these councils have long term strategies and development plans and goals. Surely not to leave vaux site undeveloped for 30 years then throw 2 ugly tin boxes on it.

I don’t know but surely these councils have long term strategies and development plans and goals. Surely not to leave vaux site undeveloped for 30 years then throw 2 ugly tin boxes on it.
The Vaux site has been a matter of discussion on here more than most football subjects.

To the best of my knowledge once everything was sorted and under way the main contractor went bust. I’m sure that wasn’t in any planning. But hardly the council’s fault. You don’t like the look of the buildings erected so far. That’s the evolution of construction for you. What do you expect on there, Durham Cathedral? With a Wagamamas of course.

The Vaux site has been a matter of discussion on here more than most football subjects.

To the best of my knowledge once everything was sorted and under way the main contractor went bust. I’m sure that wasn’t in any planning. But hardly the council’s fault. You don’t like the look of the buildings erected so far. That’s the evolution of construction for you. What do you expect on there, Durham Cathedral? With a Wagamamas of course.
Totally missed my points bill ! A m/c going bust is totally irrelevant. Again go back and read I mentioned several brands that are on high streets that sunderland hasn’t got. Obviously wagamama isn’t your favourite haha ! Is it a bit pricey for u wee man ?

Also construction doesn’t need to be ugly it’s cost driven

Last edited:
My comment is based on facts. There’s been many occasions when local authority and private projects have had to use out of area contractors to deliver schemes due to lack of able contractors in this area to deliver them. I know this having spoken to people who allocate the works. Hope that’s ok with you
Cheapest ya mean, there's plenty able up here

Totally missed my points bill ! A m/c going bust is totally irrelevant. Again go back and read I mentioned several brands that are on high streets that sunderland hasn’t got. Obviously wagamama isn’t your favourite haha ! Is it a bit pricey for u wee man ?

Also construction doesn’t need to be ugly it’s cost driven
There’s a plan I saw last year for massive redevelopment on either side of the river, linking footbridges and everything. Fair dos it might have taken longer than it should but it is movement. If it’s a success I’m sure it will lead to an influx of further investment/development.

Most of the brands you mention are downsizing. I haven’t visited every high street so I defer to your obviously superior knowledge.

I am neither bill or wee so wind your neck in please.

Last edited:
What has any of this got to do with a private land owner appointing out of the area contractors? As I'm reading your comments I don't understand what point your trying to make?

Back