New Clubs in the Region

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then why imply that they poached two young players when you started this debate?
Harry we're not going anywhere with this conversation. We've both had our say and perhaps we can leave it at that.

Great idea but my experience is that local clubs just arent geared up to do this. They either dont have the time or arent willing enough.

Frankly I've been astonished at how little effort some of the clubs put into their junior setups. Some clubs have lived for years of sufficient numbers turning up without the clubs themselves having to go on any sort of recruitment drives.

I still think that it really is very amateurish.

If a club could get themselves organised and find some people who were willing enough to really make a push they could clean up all the local talent if they wanted to.

Some of the clubs dont even keep averages at junior level and go weeks without knowing what the league tables are at junior level.

Re your last para, we played at a mint club and were competitive without ever seeing any league tables. And given that cricket is a team game I don't see the point in publicising averages at such an early age, the strong players know it anyway.

Re your last para, we played at a mint club and were competitive without ever seeing any league tables. And given that cricket is a team game I don't see the point in publicising averages at such an early age, the strong players know it anyway.
If you have a look back at my post you will see that I didnt say anything about publicising averages. What I said was: Some of the clubs dont even keep averages

I'm mystified, how clubs can make much of a judgement on players if they dont know how many wickets they are taking, how many runs they are scoring etc.

Clearly from the play cricket website some clubs agree with my position and some disagree.

I know all of my sons competitive scores, his averages etc. and we both use it as a gauge of his progress season on season. We have clear evidence that he is progressing.

New clubs in the region onto whether kids should keep averages. In 3 pages.

Blimey.

Seems to be the same few people having disagreements with themselves about anything these days.

Antagonistic bastards.

Anyway, we've got Fenham CC starting this season and Littletown CC restarting. Didn't Wearmouth fold then reemerge not so long back? And BearPark (only to go to the wall again?). Didn't Ryton do similar or did they just stop fielding a 3rd team?

What about other clubs that could still do the same? North Bitchburn perhaps?

New clubs in the region onto whether kids should keep averages. In 3 pages.

Blimey.

Seems to be the same few people having disagreements with themselves about anything these days.

Antagonistic bastards.

Anyway, we've got Fenham CC starting this season and Littletown CC restarting. Didn't Wearmouth fold then reemerge not so long back? And BearPark (only to go to the wall again?). Didn't Ryton do similar or did they just stop fielding a 3rd team?

What about other clubs that could still do the same? North Bitchburn perhaps?

Don't think me and The Colonel were being antagonistic to be fair!

Bearpark still going mate. Ryton too. Etherley are possibly most likely to re-form at senior level as they've still got a junior side...

Don't think me and The Colonel were being antagonistic to be fair!

Bearpark still going mate. Ryton too. Etherley are possibly most likely to re-form at senior level as they've still got a junior side...

Aa knar, I was being a tinker.

My uncle reckons Harton Moor are a separate club from what I believe. I heard they merged with another club?

I played at smae time as you mate and we saw a league table once or twice a season. No one was that bothered.

As for averages, we kept our own but no one else was fussed. Averages are a waste of time IMO at the top level but at junior level they even more pointless. I was a very average junior but even I could milk runs against the seaham harbours, Fellings;) and the wearmouths of our league. Therefore I would have a canny average. The better players in the league were not evenj breaking sweat against most of us.

Development is about technique and temperment. Not how many runs you score but how you score them. The best innings I ever played was for Monkwearmouth Vs Southmoor. Only 31 out of 52 all out but a) we won and b) they were scary on ther old Monkwearmoth artificial.

Someone said earlier that they use averages to keep track of their kids progression.......nowt to do with me at all but I just can't get me head round how they show this (apologies in ad=vance if I've misunderstood comment and am not being antogonistic:lol:)

My uncle reckons Harton Moor are a separate club from what I believe. I heard they merged with another club?

Harton Moor were a breakaway from Simonside in the late 70s/early 80s and quickly changed their name to Whiteleas.

Whiteleas have a very impressive set up and I hope they do well.

Only draw back is the short boundaries, but it's the same for both I suppose ....

Harton Moor were a breakaway from Simonside in the late 70s/early 80s and quickly changed their name to Whiteleas.

Whiteleas have a very impressive set up and I hope they do well.

Only draw back is the short boundaries, but it's the same for both I suppose ....

Whiteleas is a lovely set up. My lad plays a couple of games for the Durham Pilgrims over there in the summer. Real nice club

Whiteleas is a lovely set up. My lad plays a couple of games for the Durham Pilgrims over there in the summer. Real nice club

Whiteleas have done an excellent job in recent times great facilities, good wickets, good grounsman and good setup the only thing I would say is their ground doesn't give you that cricket ground feel just like most multi purpose grounds, not a complaint just a personal opinion.

Whiteleas have done an excellent job in recent times great facilities, good wickets, good grounsman and good setup the only thing I would say is their ground doesn't give you that cricket ground feel just like most multi purpose grounds, not a complaint just a personal opinion.

Fair point marra not very "village cricket" but as you say good set up. Good luck to them in the new league

Back in the seventies there used to be a small "swampy" area on the outfield at Whiteleas and if the ball went in it had to be fished out with a rake. It was an unwritten rule that when that happened it was called one run and the ball was dried off.

Back in the seventies there used to be a small "swampy" area on the outfield at Whiteleas and if the ball went in it had to be fished out with a rake. It was an unwritten rule that when that happened it was called one run and the ball was dried off.

Use to get water out of a Well at East Rainton when I was a young player :) proper village cricket that hew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back