New Churchill Movie

helped win us the war. a great war time leader it would be hard to argue, however that was 5 years of his life. the rest of it was spent being an utter imperialistic, upper class bastard to everyone below him sent in the army at Tonypandy to kill striking miners, facilitated the Famines in India to name two. we shouldnt be looking up to him if we want to progress

Saw it on Friday - Oldman is excellent but the film itself is fairly average - 6.5/10.

The tube scene :oops:

Same actor that plays Stannis in Game of Thrones.
Nope. Arthur Daley’s nemesis (was it Rycourt or was Rycourt the fat one who may have also played Tucker’s Dad in ‘Tucker’s Luck’?) was Euron Greyjoy, the old geezer who got pushed off the bridge of his castle by his brother, the overacting Eddie Izzard lookalike with the dodgy accent.

helped win us the war. a great war time leader it would be hard to argue, however that was 5 years of his life. the rest of it was spent being an utter imperialistic, upper class bastard to everyone below him sent in the army at Tonypandy to kill striking miners, facilitated the Famines in India to name two. we shouldnt be looking up to him if we want to progress

He was very much “of his time” and his political opinions weren’t unusual for his generation or upbringing.

I’m not absolving him of any wrongdoing by the way, but a sense of perspective is always needed when looking to the past.

And the Indian famine. And the eugenics.

My nana hated him for the miners thing. Was quite an eye opener for me growing up in a world where he was otherwise revered.

Just shows the skewed system - I’d take your nana view on him every day of the week over the political/ media perception that is fed to us - that’s why the majorities real voice isn’t heard very often - doesnt fit with the agenda of the establishment. Imo.

Churchill and Thatcher. Two highly necessary, flawed, equally loved and reviled products of their times, without whom we'd have been utterly fucked as a nation with an independent future full of opportunity.

I’ve read several opinions which suggest that if Churchill’s plan had been followed it stood a high chance of success but it was bungled on the ground. So not so much an “ill thought out plan” but a decent plan that was poorly executed.

Churchill was no angel but no need to blackwash him either.

How do you think the war would have turned out if Chamberlain and his ilk remained in charge?

aye, Roebuck (army) and the RN guy (cant remember his name) bottled it big style when the first absolutely ancient and totally disposable RN ship hit the minefield

it went from push through the minefield and we'll be in Istanbul by morning to oh no, what about these ships that we'll lose (that were only actually there precisely because they were expendable)

(whether landing on the peninsula was a good idea or not is another thing, but forcing the straits would have been the money shot)

I enjoyed it. The performances are good and it's a potted little transitional story of a man's first real challenge on coming to power.

It's over exaggerated and plain inaccurate in places but it's a canny watch.

I would like to see one that is open and honest about him. History has been kind to him but only because he wrote it himself. The man was serial disaster for much of his life, much blood spilled is down to his blunders. He was no
lover of the ordinary man, sent gunboats down the Tyne and told miners to crawl back in their holes. Just a bit of balance please.

You are my Grandad risen from the grave. Except he used the expression ‘war-monger’ as well.

I think Gary Oldman is on Chris Evans Radio show on Friday morning, be interesting to hear what he says about the project (I haven't seen it and don't much fancy it tbh)

Back