New Churchill Movie

Agreed. He was an enemy of the working man, a warmongerer - ffs he wanted to continue the war and attack Russia in 1945. He also turned the army against striking miners and made some ‘dubious’ calls in Ireland around 1920 as well totally messing up the Gallipoli campaign with an ill thought out plan that bogged down and killed many allied soldiers in WW1.
I’ve read several opinions which suggest that if Churchill’s plan had been followed it stood a high chance of success but it was bungled on the ground. So not so much an “ill thought out plan” but a decent plan that was poorly executed.

Churchill was no angel but no need to blackwash him either.

How do you think the war would have turned out if Chamberlain and his ilk remained in charge?

I am not his biggest fan but its not helped by the rediculous exageration of his achievements that the establishment pour out. He was loved and hated in equal measure by working people and as this film shows (at least I presume it does) he was certainly hated by the British Establishment before 1940 who were convinced he was taking them to their doom.

They and the Duke of Windsor would have done a deal with Germany if they could but did a quick about turn when our fortunes in the War changed. Churchill was then their inspirational leader who had done it all by himself.

I would like to see one that is open and honest about him. History has been kind to him but only because he wrote it himself. The man was serial disaster for much of his life, much blood spilled is down to his blunders. He was no
lover of the ordinary man, sent gunboats down the Tyne and told miners to crawl back in their holes. Just a bit of balance please.
Who gives a fuck. The bloke inspired millions of people to kick arse and save the world.

He wasn't a great noble leader or a man. He could be a brut but I wouldn't say he was a tyrant. History is full of people being the right person at the right time in the right place.

I couldn't see Churchill being the type to sit through meetings about health care or balancing the budget. He was a military man and thought as one. And that was what was needed at time.

I've got a lot of respect for the man, and his life history makes very interesting reading. He was intensely disliked in the north east for his alleged statement ".....tell the rats to get back into their holes!" ...during the Miners Strike in the 20's, but I'm not sure if he ever said it.

Was brought up on documentaries like “Victory at Sea”, “Their Finest Hour” etc. in which Churchill was portrayed as a great leader and national hero. I then read “My Early Life” as a set book for O Level English and remember saying to my English teacher that Winston Churchill was not a very nice person and I was surprised after all the praise heaped on him during my childhood. She told me that there were many people who didn’t see him as the national hero he had been made out to be and in Scotland, where she came from, he was far from admired. I know my husband’s grandmother, a Lanarkshire miner’s widow, absolutely loathed him.

Agreed. He was an enemy of the working man, a warmongerer - ffs he wanted to continue the war and attack Russia in 1945. He also turned the army against striking miners and made some ‘dubious’ calls in Ireland around 1920 as well totally messing up the Gallipoli campaign with an ill thought out plan that bogged down and killed many allied soldiers in WW1.

And the Indian famine. And the eugenics.

My nana hated him for the miners thing. Was quite an eye opener for me growing up in a world where he was otherwise revered.

And the Indian famine. And the eugenics.

My nana hated him for the miners thing. Was quite an eye opener for me growing up in a world where he was otherwise revered.
Tbf eugenics was seen as quite liberal and progressive for its time. The Bengali famine...fair comment.

I hated Thatcher having lived through her era of heavy unemployment but she was a great war leader during the Falklands.

I haven't done much reading or research into Winston bar seeing a couple of films but he seems to be of a similar stamp.

Back