New Charlie Methven article

Was his statement any worse than the well respected and loved Niall Quinn when he made comments about people watching games on TV rather than backing the team at the SOL . Whether we like it or not we all say things for what seems to be the right reason but they are blown out of all proportion , emotion sometimes gets the better of everyone and Charlie on the whole has done a good job alongside Stewart Donald and certainly has the club at heart.
Absolutely. Don’t forget Charlie has also made worse comments about the “parasites” who watch in the pub.

Quinn and Charlie’s earlier comments were at least aimed at people who don’t support the club. Having a pop at the ones who made the second trip in a couple months and insinuating we a smaller club than charlton because of it is a different story.

Doesn’t mean I want him out or don’t recognise the job they’ve done but his comments after the playoffs were indefensible in my opinion.

I think they've done an alright job. Not great but not bad. Short gave them a platform to work from by clearing the debt. In hindsight selling Maja was a disaster. The Papy and Ndong situation was easy to deal with because they were in breach of contract so the club were always going to win that. The fans turned up in huge numbers which boosted finances. I'm not aware of what they've done on the advertising and marketing side so can't comment on that. If I was giving the whole club a rating out of 10 for last season it would be 5/10.
You’ve clearly got no experience of how the law works if you think it was an easy guaranteed outcome with papy and Ndong.
Club did well there I thought.

You’ve clearly got no experience of how the law works if you think it was an easy guaranteed outcome with papy and Ndong.
Club did well there I thought.
What was difficult about it then? They went on strike whilst under contract and publically said they weren't coming back. FIFA wouldn't let the players sign for another club until their contracts had expired therefore after a few months of no pay and unable to go anywhere else had no option but agreeing to what SAFC wanted.

What was difficult about it then? They went on strike whilst under contract and publically said they weren't coming back. FIFA wouldn't let the players sign for another club until their contracts had expired therefore after a few months of no pay and unable to go anywhere else had no option but agreeing to what SAFC wanted.
nope. they could stay at the club andf take the wages. Rodwell didnt go on striek-he isnt here now.

Absolutely. Don’t forget Charlie has also made worse comments about the “parasites” who watch in the pub.

Quinn and Charlie’s earlier comments were at least aimed at people who don’t support the club. Having a pop at the ones who made the second trip in a couple months and insinuating we a smaller club than charlton because of it is a different story.

Doesn’t mean I want him out or don’t recognise the job they’ve done but his comments after the playoffs were indefensible in my opinion.
charlie didnt call the fans watching parasites did he? he called the pub owners who put the game on parasites?

nope. they could stay at the club andf take the wages. Rodwell didnt go on striek-he isnt here now.

charlie didnt call the fans watching parasites did he? he called the pub owners who put the game on parasites?
Papy and NDong both wanted to leave, Rodwell didn't. We think the club did well to get rid of Rodwell but I don't know how much of a pay off he got, it may have been disclosed but I haven't heard how much it was. Did we get anything for Papy? He wanted out and got his wish. NDong we got peanuts for compared to the outlay.

Papy and NDong both wanted to leave, Rodwell didn't. We think the club did well to get rid of Rodwell but I don't know how much of a pay off he got, it may have been disclosed but I haven't heard how much it was. Did we get anything for Papy? He wanted out and got his wish. NDong we got peanuts for compared to the outlay.
thats the point-rodwell got no pay off-the owner did well with that. papy and ndong wanted to leave-but the expectation from others was they would need a pay off-they didnt get one.

thats the point-rodwell got no pay off-the owner did well with that. papy and ndong wanted to leave-but the expectation from others was they would need a pay off-they didnt get one.
Fair enough with Rodwell if he didn't get a pay off but the owners have released £20m+ worth of assets for free. Player power won, they went on strike, took the piss and got what they wanted - to leave Sunderland and sign for whoever they liked.

Yeah considering the mess it was one year ago. Sure promotion would have been the icing on the cake, but theres no point in crying because of spilt milk.

Time to get behind them and hopefully we get off to a flyer..otherwise I might also be questioning if Ross is the right man. As I said in another thread,Ross is a smart man. Smart men learn from their mistakes and experiences.

Just give them 10-15 games of next season before passing judgement and sharpening knives.

I sort of agree with this, but one thing I will say is that some (not saying you mind) seem to keep putting back the "judge people then" date. Getting towards Christmas in the season just gone people were rightly saying "let's see how we look after the window". Then, with things not improving and us looking disjointed it was "judge it when the season finishes, the inquest can wait until then". Now we're already getting some "let's see how things start next season" and I can just tell there will be some who, after 10-15 games, will then say "let's see how we look after the January transfer window" and so on.

The owners I'm happy with, I think they gave us a good enough squad to get promotion last season and I think, if managed differently, we'd have looked a lot better than we did. I absolutely expect us to be far too good for this league next season though. We've got a whole summer, we're going to have comfortably the biggest budget in terms of wages and transfer fees for a second season. I expect us to start strongly and maintain it. A lot of our fans won't accept another season of mediocrity in this division and it won't be bed wetting or knee jerking. 10-15 games next season is sensible and fair enough, but if he still hasn't got it right I won't be advocating giving Ross the January window, I think a massive number will want him gone

I sort of agree with this, but one thing I will say is that some (not saying you mind) seem to keep putting back the "judge people then" date. Getting towards Christmas in the season just gone people were rightly saying "let's see how we look after the window". Then, with things not improving and us looking disjointed it was "judge it when the season finishes, the inquest can wait until then". Now we're already getting some "let's see how things start next season" and I can just tell there will be some who, after 10-15 games, will then say "let's see how we look after the January transfer window" and so on.

The owners I'm happy with, I think they gave us a good enough squad to get promotion last season and I think, if managed differently, we'd have looked a lot better than we did. I absolutely expect us to be far too good for this league next season though. We've got a whole summer, we're going to have comfortably the biggest budget in terms of wages and transfer fees for a second season. I expect us to start strongly and maintain it. A lot of our fans won't accept another season of mediocrity in this division and it won't be bed wetting or knee jerking. 10-15 games next season is sensible and fair enough, but if he still hasn't got it right I won't be advocating giving Ross the January window, I think a massive number will want him gone

Agreed Marra, the margin was very fine with us not going up,hence the date getting pushed back a wee bit..plus factor in mcgeady injury.

And the Maja saga which was only his and his agents fault.

Fair enough with Rodwell if he didn't get a pay off but the owners have released £20m+ worth of assets for free. Player power won, they went on strike, took the piss and got what they wanted - to leave Sunderland and sign for whoever they liked.
you see you decsribed them as £20m plus of assets-but that might be what we paid-not what they are worth-we got fees for all ecvept rodwell.

“If you’re a fanatic of your football club and you decide that actually what you’re going to do is you’re going to spend your money on a few pints of lager and watch an illegal stream of the match rather than contributing that money to trying to help your club to be the best it possibly can, you’re not a fan, you’re a parasite.”

To be honest, although the wording is a bit ott, I didn’t particularly disagree with this comment. His latest one wasn’t on though

I posted in a lot of detail at the time about the legal arguments both ways and I can’t be bothered to get into it again. It was a lot more nuanced and tricky than you’re making out though and I think the club and their lawyers deserve a lot of credit for the outcome.

He's happy to bask in the 'success' of the off field business and anything else that goes wrong.

Cant handle 'semi probing' questions about player recruitment and spits his dummy out.

The man cant have it both ways

It wasn’t true though was it. Can’t believe there’s any Sunderland fan agreeing with his comment.

I like them and appreciate the work they’re doing. However his comment was wrong and disappointing. You don’t have to staunchly agree with everything they do or say...

“Sunderland fans need to get realistic on that... and they had 40000 fans there to our 34000 fans today so on sheer size of club it’s hard to say that Charlton were the ones who had to stay down”

Did he really need to questions the fans attendance and loyalty this way? It wasn’t even required in the interview and came from nowhere. It was simple deflection tactics and he called it wrong. Let’s hope it was just emotion clouding his judgement, rather than a glimpse at his true thoughts.

He’s a shareholder and meant to be our PR.
We smashed the L1 record this season for average attendances. We sold out all our away trips. Over 75k in attendance in two Wembley trips in a matter of weeks. All this from an area reeling under tory austerity.
I must admit that when i walked into wembley and saw the full charlton end and the swathe of empty seats in the sunderland end i was a tad disapointed!however his comment is nonsense sunderland even in our present state dwarf charlton in every respect.charltan had 6000 more fans than us but only had to hop on a bus for a 50 minute journey to o the ground..wheras we had to try to arrange transport at short notice (partly due to the stupid way the three amigos had arranged the ticket sale) and travel the length of the country......and if im being honest to a lot of our fans a wembley visit is just an excuse for a weekend piss up and the football is secondary and since we had only been there a few weeks earlier lot of fans simply couldnt afford it.
I think his above comment points to how he thinks of us as a club and he might be right in some aspect when you factor in the the financial clout we have as both him and charlie as directors ....but he was very very stupid to make that comment and i think it reflects his small time mentality and his lack of understanding of the fans of safc.Any sensible spin doctor would not have said what he did and i hink it points to him not being involved with us for much longer in any significant role !one can hope!

You'd think we had the worst owners in the world the way this board goes on.

The club have been doing an excellent job of trying to correct the mistakes of Ellis Short and were a stoppage time goal away from being 100% on track.

One negative comment about not selling out Wembley and it's upset a few of the more precious ones so much they can't drop it.

So many moaning idiots on here, it's embarrassing. I genuinely wonder how many are hoping we lose the first six games because they have made up their minds they hate Ross and are too stubborn to be won over. There's an element of our support who deserve nowt.
Agreed. I like the current owners. The club was on its knees and for 2 lads “without a pot to piss in” they’ve done alright. I m really not convinced by Ross mind. He played a team he sent out to get a 0-0 in a playoff final. He’s way to cautious and I really don’t think he will suddenly start playing high tempo attacking football. I just don’t think he’s that type of manager.

Your talking nonsense again fella ....decent job mebee but outstanding ...fek no!stop applauding mediocrity fella........ Outstanding would have got us promoted. kept hold of maja and not bought that waste of space grigg!You are either charlie in disguise or work for him in some respect!

Tell charlie he can dis our women ,whippets, beer,flat caps cheesy chips and peas pudding but tell him to keep his negative and ill founded comments on our support to himself! Only we can say were shit not some limp wristed salmon pants wearing southern sow bothering Eton toff on a mission to fleece the northern inbreds of their hard earned coin.
I can only think that you are joking with this post?
Otherwise, it's one of the worst , most inaccurate, bordering on slanderous posts even you have produced!

Back