New Charlie Methven article

In fairness, he said on the business side they've done outstanding, which appears to be the case.
In fairness you cannot separate the two!and buying and selling players is part of the business of football....and if im being really honest cutting costs is the easier bit ,building a business from the ashes of the cost cutting is the hard part and if they are selling up the majority of their shares after just one year they appear to have baulked at hard part and passed the financial burden onto others.So its a decent job from me nothing more,outstanding given the cards and help short gave them is a streach in my book!

You hope we have a bad start so that JR is sacked?

What a bizarre priorities list you have.

No.

I hope if we do have a bad start we don’t blindly stick by him.

Which was obvious. Did the post I responded to say “let’s hope Jack Ross is sacked”???

No.

What a bizarre way of responding to posts you have.

No.

I hope if we do have a bad start we don’t blindly stick by him.

Which was obvious. Did the post I responded to say “let’s hope Jack Ross is sacked”???

No.

What a bizarre way of responding to posts you have.

It wasn't obvious, like. Fair enough if that's what you meant but that's not how it came across.

I think they've done an alright job. Not great but not bad. Short gave them a platform to work from by clearing the debt. In hindsight selling Maja was a disaster. The Papy and Ndong situation was easy to deal with because they were in breach of contract so the club were always going to win that. The fans turned up in huge numbers which boosted finances. I'm not aware of what they've done on the advertising and marketing side so can't comment on that. If I was giving the whole club a rating out of 10 for last season it would be 5/10.

You'd think we had the worst owners in the world the way this board goes on.

The club have been doing an excellent job of trying to correct the mistakes of Ellis Short and were a stoppage time goal away from being 100% on track.

One negative comment about not selling out Wembley and it's upset a few of the more precious ones so much they can't drop it.

So many moaning idiots on here, it's embarrassing. I genuinely wonder how many are hoping we lose the first six games because they have made up their minds they hate Ross and are too stubborn to be won over. There's an element of our support who deserve nowt.

Would you? What I’ve seen on here since they arrived has predominantly been constant praise (right down to them drinking beer) and relentless shutting down of anyone who even hints at minor criticism or skepticism.

I missed the criticism from CM of the fans re Wembley. Maybe he should think about the absolute dog shit football the manager he helped appoint was churning out before demanding people throw their money away on yet another futile journey south

They aren't fact at all like, they are his opinion

People are free to agree or disagree with them if they want.

Its propoganda and comment for reaction, he knows exactly what hes doing...he has promoted this club more in the last year for all the right reasons than anybody has done before, the fact is it is dissapointing that there was tickets left for a wembley play off final, simple as that, no detrement to any Sunderland supporters as costs etc. come into the equation, and Chartlton were the most vociferous fans on the day. Plain and simple

Your talking nonsense again fella ....decent job mebee but outstanding ...fek no!stop applauding mediocrity fella........ Outstanding would have got us promoted. kept hold of maja and not bought that waste of space grigg!You are either charlie in disguise or work for him in some respect!

Tell charlie he can dis our women ,whippets, beer,flat caps cheesy chips and peas pudding but tell him to keep his negative and ill founded comments on our support to himself! Only we can say were shit not some limp wristed salmon pants wearing southern sow bothering Eton toff on a mission to fleece the northern inbreds of their hard earned coin.
it was the football managers jo to get safc promoted-the football manager picked grigg..
they havent done a good job on the football side-mediocre is being kind to them in that regard-they failed on the football side-but di an outstanding job on the business side-which is the side CM runs-he diesnt make fotball decisions.

They aren't fact at all like, they are his opinion

People are free to agree or disagree with them if they want.
well it is a fact chaerlton sold more. though chaflies rection to it was stupid.

Last edited:
People on here are so bitter. Everyone licked his arse until he said one semi-negative (and true) statement now everyone are acting like heartbroken little school boys.

It wasn’t true though was it. Can’t believe there’s any Sunderland fan agreeing with his comment.

I like them and appreciate the work they’re doing. However his comment was wrong and disappointing. You don’t have to staunchly agree with everything they do or say...

“Sunderland fans need to get realistic on that... and they had 40000 fans there to our 34000 fans today so on sheer size of club it’s hard to say that Charlton were the ones who had to stay down”

Did he really need to questions the fans attendance and loyalty this way? It wasn’t even required in the interview and came from nowhere. It was simple deflection tactics and he called it wrong. Let’s hope it was just emotion clouding his judgement, rather than a glimpse at his true thoughts.

He’s a shareholder and meant to be our PR.
We smashed the L1 record this season for average attendances. We sold out all our away trips. Over 75k in attendance in two Wembley trips in a matter of weeks. All this from an area reeling under tory austerity.

Ross potentially has ten games left as our manager. Bad start and he is gone

I would give him 5 or 6 max. That should be plenty of time to see whether he has learned anything from last season.
Tactically we were found out and out managed by most opposition managers towards the end of last season.... Ross really needs to up his game now but i really cant see this happening

Think he's stupid for a couple of things he has said about the fans if I'm honest. Thats the one thing they are in no position to criticise imo.

I can't fault the work he does for the club, but in what he says, sometimes it's best not to say anything at all, rather than call our support disappointing.
TBH I think they've done a bit of role reversal in that sense, mate. SD used to make some pretty basic Gaffes early on, but fortunately appears to have learned from his mistakes, whereas CM appears to have gone the other way slightly. Maybe it's me being a bit Old School, but I'm not very keen on all this Twatter bollocks. I tend to think that SD has made a bit of a rod for his own back in regards to that. Don't get me wrong, a few good things have come from it such as @janey da getting to meet them, but from the little that I've seen, some of the messages to him have been embarrassing to say the least. All in all tho, I think they're doing a pretty good job in general. Nobodys going to make everybody happy. Even Drumaville turned to ratshit towards the end of their tenure;)

TBH I think they've done a bit of role reversal in that sense, mate. SD used to make some pretty basic Gaffes early on, but fortunately appears to have learned from his mistakes, whereas CM appears to have gone the other way slightly. Maybe it's me being a bit Old School, but I'm not very keen on all this Twatter bollocks. I tend to think that SD has made a bit of a rod for his own back in regards to that. Don't get me wrong, a few good things have come from it such as @janey da getting to meet them, but from the little that I've seen, some of the messages to him have been embarrassing to say the least. All in all tho, I think they're doing a pretty good job in general. Nobodys going to make everybody happy. Even Drumaville turned to ratshit towards the end of their tenure;)

Wouldn't even know where to start with twitter, it's not for me either. But as you say some good has come of it.

Hopefully CM has learnt from his first year at the club and realised its probably not the smartest thing to do in criticising the Sunderland fans. His other work though he just needs to continue what he's doing, he always makes his voice heard he's that good.

People on here are so bitter. Everyone licked his arse until he said one semi-negative (and true) statement now everyone are acting like heartbroken little school boys.
Was his statement any worse than the well respected and loved Niall Quinn when he made comments about people watching games on TV rather than backing the team at the SOL . Whether we like it or not we all say things for what seems to be the right reason but they are blown out of all proportion , emotion sometimes gets the better of everyone and Charlie on the whole has done a good job alongside Stewart Donald and certainly has the club at heart.

Have they though?, I’m honestly torn on this. I was one of the very vocal anti short posters on here early on, but fair play in on aspect he helped clear the mess he helped make. On the other side just being averagely run club off the field would be an improvement on what short allowed to happen behind the scenes. So is it such an amazing job put in the basics of a functional off field running?.

You have to take into consideration that when they took over the EFL more or less viewed us as an object lesson in how not to run a football club. That's a hell of a change to make just as a cultural level, let alone getting the costs back to sensible proportions. Given the starting point, the progress off the pitch has exceeded expectations by a wide margin. That's an amazing job in my book. Could it have been done without the debt being cleared? No. But even then, it still had to be done, and that was by no means a given.

Of course they are,but what pisses people off is the constant sniping,insulting and downright embarrassing comments from some on here, which are entirely unjustified and unnecessary. Some seem to have conveniently forgotten what a mess we were in, and are choosing to ignore the efforts which have been made, and continue to be made, to re-establish us on a more sound footing. Mistakes have been made,no doubt,but it was never going to be an easy task to undo all the years of complete mismanagement in one year. Donald,Methven and the rest,and most of all Ross, deserve our whole-hearted support through this summer and into next season. I accept we need to see Ross has learned from last year, that the squad is improved where necessary and the results reflect that right from the off. Anything less will not do,but he's earned the chance and deserves the opportunity.
Those who are making either unbelievably stupid or unbelievably wind-up comments....or both....on a regular basis,at every opportunity, should subdue their arrogance. Some of the things being said make me ashamed to stand alongside them in support of this great club.
We're a third division team thanks to years of blundering incompetence, and we don't have an automatic right to get back to the second division simply because we're Sunderland.

Frankly, the level of personally abusive comments, together with accusations that are either borderline or clearly defamatory, is becoming embarrassing.

Last edited:

Back