New Boiler Cost

The set-up is bizzare.

We have a Potterton Slimline Classic in the kitchen which is where the gas goes.

Then upstairs we have Gledhill Boilermate 2000.

The plumber said the Boilermate is the issue and will continue to be. So he said the best thing to do is get rid of the Boilermate and put a combi in upstairs.
Is it a gledhill thermalstore? Been a pain the last 23 years, so we have just had ours removed and a Baxi combi installed, not liking having to wait for the hot water like. Cost 2.5k with the hive thermastat.

I’d be getting another quote at least and wouldn’t be touching a glowworm.
my firm used to fit Glowworm all the time but the quality fell off a cliff and we now fit all Worcester

Like for like upgrade 3 month ago to a baxi 830 with 10 yr guarantee

£2100 and done in one day

Of your moving it, check whether you have hard water (fnarr). Moved our 3 year old boiler in a hard water area. From a kitchen into a cupboard in an extension. Apparently dislodged limescale which got caught and trapped stuff in places it shouldn't have been. Why, I'm norra an engineer so switched off. To be fair, the fella doing the job did a free refit of a new boiler and was happy to pass the costs on to his next few jobs.

Like for like upgrade 3 month ago to a baxi 830 with 10 yr guarantee

£2100 and done in one day

We got a Baxi 830 fitted last month with the 10 year guarantee. Removed old system boiler and loft tanks, remove one radiator, prep for new radiator, move boiler to loft, send pipework from feed (at front door) to loft (3rd floor), box in new pipework, sort roof overflow etc. and re-connect Hive. £3,100.

We have a water tank in the loft, a big boiler thing in the cupboard on the landing, and what I assume is a combi downstairs in the utility.
I can't wait to get rid of the tank and boiler thing for a more economic and modern system. Apart from anything else I'll have more room for shite in the loft. Or I can actually move some of the shite up there. Either way.

I’d be getting another quote at least and wouldn’t be touching a glowworm.
my firm used to fit Glowworm all the time but the quality fell off a cliff and we now fit all Worcester
I'm amazed so many folk go with baxis, I'd wouldn't go with anything that isn't Worcester if I could help it

Sounds very fair that
To be honest he's part-retired and dont think he realised how big the job became! Nice fella.
We have a water tank in the loft, a big boiler thing in the cupboard on the landing, and what I assume is a combi downstairs in the utility.
I can't wait to get rid of the tank and boiler thing for a more economic and modern system. Apart from anything else I'll have more room for shite in the loft. Or I can actually move some of the shite up there. Either way.

How much do you shit in the loft already like?

Last edited:
The black water tank in my loft had to stay there when I had a Combi installed as the bugger is too big to come out of the loft hatch.

Cost us about £2,300 to get that done beginning of the year. The tank was in our bedroom and and our lass was certainly over the moon with the extra cupboard space once the tank was removed. Was done in a day but two lads were on the job

About to get my Worcester replaced with a Baxi - bloke fitting it reckons the Baxis these days have more solid innards (more metal parts) and are easier to repair/maintain.
Might well be the case to be honest, not worked in facilities for a few years now. They used to be so much worse than Worcesters though I ended up getting the spec changed, saved everyone a fortune in callouts. I think which magazine still rates Worcester top mind.

Just about to move into a new house with a vokera, it'll be the first thing getting changed.

The set-up is bizzare.

We have a Potterton Slimline Classic in the kitchen which is where the gas goes.

Then upstairs we have Gledhill Boilermate 2000.

The plumber said the Boilermate is the issue and will continue to be. So he said the best thing to do is get rid of the Boilermate and put a combi in upstairs.
Them gledhillz should be banned. Horrible bits of kit. Ive refused to touch one before after a horror job whilst fitting a bathroom. Get shot asap

Back