New board alerts

I don’t seem to be getting alerts when people tag me. I know @WHD said the same, but it seems to be intermittent. Apparently Frijj tagged me in a post about 15 mins ago but I don’t have an alert for it.

Also, I’m finding it really hard following the alerts as, once I’ve viewed them and clicked on one, I can’t then go back and see which of the rest were new and I’d not clicked on - you used to be able to see that on the old board. If I have 20 alerts, it’s difficult figuring out which 19 I’ve not clicked on yet!

Ta.

I don’t seem to be getting alerts when people tag me. I know @WHD said the same, but it seems to be intermittent. Apparently Frijj tagged me in a post about 15 mins ago but I don’t have an alert for it.

Also, I’m finding it really hard following the alerts as, once I’ve viewed them and clicked on one, I can’t then go back and see which of the rest were new and I’d not clicked on - you used to be able to see that on the old board. If I have 20 alerts, it’s difficult figuring out which 19 I’ve not clicked on yet!

Ta.
@Frijj tagged me in the same post and I didn’t get a notification, I just noticed when browsing.

Ta.
I agree about the difficulty if there are several alerts. I actually find the alerts work better for me though as even if I'm working on another tab, a number 1 will come up on the SMB tab to let me know an alert is there. I think I had to accept a notifications request though - not sure if that is why the alerts now show when I'm on other tabs..

I think the main problem with intermittent alerts was fixed yesterday. I didn't announce the fact as it wouldn't apply retrospectively and people might still think there was a problem.

Looking at that post by @Frijj - he tagged 6 people in the post. There has always been a limit of tagging a maximum of 5 people in a post to prevent spamming. Anything over 5 will result in alerts not being sent,

@Frijj tagged me in the same post and I didn’t get a notification, I just noticed when browsing.
And yet you got an alert when I tagged you here, I assume. It seems fairly random.
I think the main problem with intermittent alerts was fixed yesterday. I didn't announce the fact as it wouldn't apply retrospectively and people might still think there was a problem.

Looking at that post by @Frijj - he tagged 6 people in the post. There has always been a limit of tagging a maximum of 5 people in a post to prevent spamming. Anything over 5 will result in alerts not being sent,
Ah I didn’t know about the 5 limit thing.

Is there anyway of fixing the alerts so that it’s easier to see which one you’ve read, or at least like it was on the old board, it had a marker if it was new since you’re last visit regardless of whether you’d gone into your alerts? Not sure if this makes any sense?!

Last edited:
And yet you got an alert when I tagged you here, I assume. It seems fairly random.

Ah I didn’t know about the 5 limit thing.

Is there anyway of fixing the alerts so that it’s easier to see which one you’ve read, or at least like it was on the old board, it had a marker if it was new since you’re last visit regardless of whether you’d gone into your alerts? Not sure if this makes any sense?!

Yes, makes sense. I was looking at an "add-on" that puts the unread stuff at the top of the list, but it potentially impacts upon the way we do backups, so that is on hold for the moment. I never paid much attention to what it was like before - what was the marker ?

Yes, makes sense. I was looking at an "add-on" that puts the unread stuff at the top of the list, but it potentially impacts upon the way we do backups, so that is on hold for the moment. I never paid much attention to what it was like before - what was the marker ?
It was like a little Star next to the alert after the text. It would only be there for that specific visit, so if you closed your browser and came back it cleared them, but at least it meant you could go back and forth between the posts and your alerts in a visit and know which ones you’d not read.

Here’s another weird thing I have with alerts:

It doesn’t happen with all threads, just some, and notably the Trump Thread. When I click an alert and it opens the thread, it sometimes doesn’t go to the post the alert refers to. It will go about four posts higher up the thread and I have to scroll down. If I click the alert again it still happens.

I’m wondering if it’s something to do with unfurls because it happens a lot on the Trump thread, which has a lot of them.

It was like a little Star next to the alert after the text. It would only be there for that specific visit, so if you closed your browser and came back it cleared them, but at least it meant you could go back and forth between the posts and your alerts in a visit and know which ones you’d not read.

You should have something a bit like this now.

Here’s another weird thing I have with alerts:

It doesn’t happen with all threads, just some, and notably the Trump Thread. When I click an alert and it opens the thread, it sometimes doesn’t go to the post the alert refers to. It will go about four posts higher up the thread and I have to scroll down. If I click the alert again it still happens.

I’m wondering if it’s something to do with unfurls because it happens a lot on the Trump thread, which has a lot of them.
I have seen this as well but on other smaller threads (than Trump). Will try and pay more attention next time.

Back