New bike!

Been waiting ages but me new Boardman ADV 8.9 turned up yesterday. I know it’s not a top of the range bike but it’s the most I e ever spent on a bike and gets great reviews. Looking forward to the rain keeping off this weekend 🤞🏻

Thing is, I’ve never riden with drop handlebars! Other than a spin class. Changing gear is going to be new to me and even seating position is new.

Any tips from seasoned cyclists?

Been waiting ages but me new Boardman ADV 8.9 turned up yesterday. I know it’s not a top of the range bike but it’s the most I e ever spent on a bike and gets great reviews. Looking forward to the rain keeping off this weekend 🤞🏻

Thing is, I’ve never riden with drop handlebars! Other than a spin class. Changing gear is going to be new to me and even seating position is new.

What are you using it for.

Road rides, offroad ?

Don't bother riding on the drops unless you're trying to break records.
Much more comfortable on the hoods.
If you're riding on the tracks, beware of dogs and kids dashing back and forwards in front of you, and dog walkers with their dogs on long extender leads.
And dog crap, don't cycle through that especially if you have no mudguards on.
If you're riding on the roads, beware shit drivers, red light runners and stupid f***ing pedestrians who cross without looking because they can't hear a car.

You'll possibly get more response on the SMB forum. Theres a cycling thread on there, and most of the posters are experienced riders.

What are you using it for.

Road rides, offroad ?

Don't bother riding on the drops unless you're trying to break records.
Much more comfortable on the hoods.
If you're riding on the tracks, beware of dogs and kids dashing back and forwards in front of you, and dog walkers with their dogs on long extender leads.
And dog crap, don't cycle through that especially if you have no mudguards on.
If you're riding on the roads, beware shit drivers, red light runners and stupid f***ing pedestrians who cross without looking because they can't hear a car.

You'll possibly get more response on the SMB forum. Theres a cycling thread on there, and most of the posters are experienced riders.
Cheers. I think I’ll try the different handle bar positions and see how I like them. I think the biggest change, other than how I change gear, will be not being able to see which gear I’m in.

I’ll be using it for roads and tracks. Nothing too muddy. I currently have a Carerra Crossfire but it’s like cycling a tractor, it’s so heavy!

Cheers. I think I’ll try the different handle bar positions and see how I like them. I think the biggest change, other than how I change gear, will be not being able to see which gear I’m in.

I’ll be using it for roads and tracks. Nothing too muddy. I currently have a Carerra Crossfire but it’s like cycling a tractor, it’s so heavy!

This is a problem for me too. I'm forever looking down to see which gear i'm in, because when i don't often find myself cross chained. Not sure if thats a correct term.
I find when i try riding on the drops, i've got less control and my balance is a bit iffy.

I don't get the not knowing which gear you're in. You spin at a certain cadence. if it's getting too hard to pedal you drop a gear too easy you go up a gear. You don't really need to know what gear you're riding. Or am i wrong?
I guess I’m just used to it. Bit like driving a car, I can see how the car feels as I start going up the hill, or I can have a look at what gear I’m in before I start going up the hill and make sure I’m in the right gear?

I dunno, maybe I’ll get used to it.

I don't get the not knowing which gear you're in. You spin at a certain cadence. if it's getting too hard to pedal you drop a gear too easy you go up a gear. You don't really need to know what gear you're riding. Or am i wrong?

Talking about cross chaining Percy. When i get half way up or down the cassette, i'd need to change to the big or small ring. If i don't look down, i can still change up or down on the cassette, but i sometimes find myself on the wrong front ring. Like on a small ring at the back and the big ring at the front.

Talking about cross chaining Percy. When i get half way up or down the cassette, i'd need to change to the big or small ring. If i don't look down, i can still change up or down on the cassette, but i sometimes find myself on the wrong front ring. Like on a small ring at the back and the big ring at the front.
I normally just use the outer rings on the cassette with the large ring and inner rings for the small ring.

Not to hi-jack your thread, but I've just picked up a new bike as well.

Similar to you, not top of the range, but a decent entry-mid level hard-tail!
Logon or register to see this image

Nice bike. Boardman do some great bikes for the money!

Last edited:
Not to hi-jack your thread, but I've just picked up a new bike as well.

Similar to you, not top of the range, but a decent entry-mid level hard-tail!
Logon or register to see this image

Nice bike. Boardman do some great bikes for the money!
I do like a Boardman. The only downside is you have to deal with Halfords which is probably the most incompetent and useless nationwide shopping experience ever.

I do like a Boardman. The only downside is you have to deal with Halfords which is probably the most incompetent and useless nationwide shopping experience ever.

Once you get used to drop bars you'll never go back to flat.
Good luck with Halfords.....any subsequent work that needs doing use your LBS if you can...

Once you get used to drop bars you'll never go back to flat.
Good luck with Halfords.....any subsequent work that needs doing use your LBS if you can...
To be fair, there’s an older bloke in my local Halfords who is obviously retired and doesn’t give a fuck anymore and just works for Halfords for beer money and because he loves tinkering with bikes. He’s brilliant.

I need to find out how shift pattern because the rest are f***ing useless.

Edit: but yes, we have a lovely community cycle hub recently opened which I’m really keen to support. They do maintenance courses and I’m booked in for April.

Practice braking on the flat if you're not used to hydraulic brakes. Or you might keep going while the bike stops.
The gears become instinctive pretty quickly. Pretty much small ring uphill, big ring on the flat will do.

For seat position, a MTB is like a sofa and a road bike like a bar stool. A decent padded bib will help. Dhb are very good value. The biggest factor will be the right position on the bike. The saddle is not that big a factor in my experience. See if the bloke at Halfords can give you a steer.

Practice braking on the flat if you're not used to hydraulic brakes. Or you might keep going while the bike stops.
The gears become instinctive pretty quickly. Pretty much small ring uphill, big ring on the flat will do.

For seat position, a MTB is like a sofa and a road bike like a bar stool. A decent padded bib will help. Dhb are very good value. The biggest factor will be the right position on the bike. The saddle is not that big a factor in my experience. See if the bloke at Halfords can give you a steer.

The difference between out of the box, and a proper bike fitting is unreal on a road bike.

Back