New bike advice.

Hoping there's a few older lads out there who can come up with ideas for a new road bike. I have a close elderly relative, who's life revolves around getting out for 2, or 3 good rides every day. He thrives on it, and it keeps him positive, and fit. Up until yesterday he's been maintaining, and riding an old 7 gear Dawson tourer, which was top speck in it's day. He's convinced that there isn't a modern bike out there that could deliver the same experience of riding. Have any any of you made such a transition, or found a more classic bike that would do the job?

I know a few keen cyclists who are getting into e-bikes lately, but I'm far from being able to give meaningful advice. There's a cycling thread knocking around somewhere which is usually canny for advice.
Cheers Flicky. I don't think he's ever consider going E-bike. I'll have a search for the other thread, and give it a shufti.

What age is elderly?
What location?
He’s mid 70’s down in Somerset. There’s some good bike shops in Bristol, he’s found online, so hoping he’ll find something to suit him.
What about a battery bike.. As he gets older it will help him if the going gets a bit tough..

I’d be ok with one myself, but this is all about fitness. It’s the only way that he really enjoys getting exercise.

Last edited:
He’s mid 70’s down in Somerset. There’s some good bike shops in Bristol, he’s found online, so hoping he’ll find something to suit him.

I’d be ok with one myself, but this is all about fitness. It’s the only way that he really enjoys getting exercise.
It doesn't do all the work. The motor maxes out at 15mph and only helps you up the hills. It's also heavier and you can adjust how much help it gives you. Well worth looking at it he's going to keep riding until he's 100.

Last edited:
I'd definitely try to get him to try one out in a bike shop. Perhaps go second hand too? (I've just got a second hand bike - same bike as previous, but in good second hand condition which actually worked out cheaper than repairs/service etc to old bike).

I'd definitely try to get him to try one out in a bike shop. Perhaps go second hand too? (I've just got a second hand bike - same bike as previous, but in good second hand condition which actually worked out cheaper than repairs/service etc to old bike).
We're watching the local ads for second hand, but no luck so far. Still, he's discovered new muscles by walking much more for the past few weeks, so he's pleased with that.
It doesn't do all the work. The motor maxes out at 15mph and only helps you up the hills. It's also heavier and you can adjust how much help it gives you. Well worth looking at it he's going to keep riding until he's 100.
As I said, that would suit me fine. He’s stubbornly old school. Won’t have anything that’s too modern in his life. It’s bloody exhausting to be honest.

Last edited:
Kalkhoff used to some excellently engineered bikes but think they are all electric now. Try looking at a Kona Sutra adventure road bike, steel framed, well equipped tourer.

Back