New and no idea but keen to learn

doingonesbest

Subs Bench
Hi as the title suggests I’m not really sure how to use a camera properly and get the best possible or even decent pictures. I have a decent camera (at least I think I have) and would be interested in doing an informal course to learn a bit more. Can anyone kindly suggest where to go or does anyone on here actually offer any basic training? Other than a degree course at Sunderland university I can’t seem to find anything. I’m thinking a couple of hours a week would be my level. Would just like to develop photography as a new hobby. Any ideas/suggestions appreciated and thanks in advance

There are loads of resources on YouTube for free to get you going and they're easily digestable.

Don't be scared to use the Auto functions to start with. It's not cheating.

If/when editing, presets and filters are a good tool to make your images pop a bit, but they won't fix a badly lit snap.

Practice, practice, practice. There's no real substitute for it.

Don't be scared to use the Auto functions to start with. It's not cheating.

I'd second this. Cameras are hugely complicated these days, but the automation is also very good.

Concentrate initially on composing your photos. As you get to know the camera more, you can play with the manual features, but don't be blinded by them all.
The manual settings on your camera WILL improve photos once you understand them, but the content of the photo and lighting of your subject is of huge importance.

Thanks folks that’s really helpful. As it happens I have been trying to edit a few photos and a question that springs to mind is as follows. Is a good photo simply that a good photo or is it down to personal taste? For clarity I don’t mean the topic of the photo but the lighting, depth of colour, positioning etc? If two people like the topic of the photo ie a cathedral could half a dozen different people have a different view of its quality based on personal preferences. So I guess I’m asking is a good photo good regardless or does it depend on the person viewing the picture? Apologies if I’m talking nonsense here 🤗

Thanks folks that’s really helpful. As it happens I have been trying to edit a few photos and a question that springs to mind is as follows. Is a good photo simply that a good photo or is it down to personal taste? For clarity I don’t mean the topic of the photo but the lighting, depth of colour, positioning etc? If two people like the topic of the photo ie a cathedral could half a dozen different people have a different view of its quality based on personal preferences. So I guess I’m asking is a good photo good regardless or does it depend on the person viewing the picture? Apologies if I’m talking nonsense here 🤗
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Art is subjective.

I'd probably say there are lots of 'rules' of photography that are worth learning about, relating to composition, exposure, focus and all sorts. But if you follow them all, all the time, you'll likely end up bored and uninspired after a while, and your photography won't develop any further. A good course, some good books, or some helpful mentors, will hopefully teach you all the most important things to start with, and then give you a foundation for being yourself.

Last edited:
Depends entirely who it's for. If you're only shooting for yourself then you'll find your own style eventually. I get a lot of inspiration from Instagram accounts and my peers when I'm planning a shoot. To take your cathedral example, there are literally an infinite number of ways of taking pictures of it. If you're out and about with your camera then it's more than likely going to give you different results than if you're planning it in advance for lighting conditions etc. You'll be surprised about how many things you can factor in in advance. Where's the sun going to be? What's going to be in shadow at which time of day? What's the weather going to be like?

Shooting during "golden hour" (1 hour after sunrise, and 1 hour before sunset) is regarded as the "best" lighting conditions for lots of things. Try things out and see what you like.

Technically speaking I would say there are good and bad photos (ie. is it in focus, is it over/under exposed, is there motion blur etc). But composition/colour/lighting is definitely personal taste - if you like it and its for you, its good!

I'd say one of the biggest mistakes beginners make is not looking at what else is in the photo besides what they are intending to take. (eg, is there a telephone box, or a bus-stop in your cathedral photo?). Look for distractions, and also look at what alternative angles/distances you can take a similar shot. Sometimes walking a few feet can make a huge difference.

The advice from @Lonz is good - look at what other people are taking, try to get inspiration from other people's photos that you like.

Hi as the title suggests I’m not really sure how to use a camera properly and get the best possible or even decent pictures. I have a decent camera (at least I think I have) and would be interested in doing an informal course to learn a bit more. Can anyone kindly suggest where to go or does anyone on here actually offer any basic training? Other than a degree course at Sunderland university I can’t seem to find anything. I’m thinking a couple of hours a week would be my level. Would just like to develop photography as a new hobby. Any ideas/suggestions appreciated and thanks in advance
I'd recommend watching a guy on YouTube called Photo Genius. I watched a lot of his videos on how to learn when I started and usually pinpoint those who are starting to check him out. Videos are very user friendly and don't overwhelm you with too much info.

Back