Netflix

L

Lexingtongue

Is it me or is most of their original output extremely poor? Of all the 'amazing' series they've done, I've yet to find anything that approaches the quality I'd expect of a company this loaded. They seem to just pump out shit for the sake of keeping their platform populated these days. Best thing I've seen by them is a Stephen King adaptation called 1922, but even that dragged in parts.

Not actually checked this one out. I'd heard the seconds season is a massive drop in quality from the first which put me off somewhat... Is that not the case?
First series is excellent despite not being my type of thing at all. Second dips a bit but not enough to put you off.
Better call Saul is superb television.
Ozark is brilliant.
I enjoyed Narcos and El Chapo is canny enough albeit a few duff episodes in series one.

Like most things it's hit and miss. One running theme though is that they generally drag them out a bit.

Edit: still good value for £7.50 a month or whatever it is these days.

They've produced lots of very good stuff. They've also produced some guff, due to the sheer volume they produce, but there's plenty of hits.

Stranger Things
OitNB
House of Cards
Black Mirror
Narcos
Mindhunter
Manhunt: Unabomber
Glow
The Crown
Daredevil
Jessica Jones
Master of None
13 Reasons

All the above have been critically acclaimed and succesful (albeit I haven't seen all). Probablus more but off top of my head.

Like most things it's hit and miss. One running theme though is that they generally drag them out a bit.
The Lost effect. Something is successful so additional seasons get added until the original story is a shadow of its former self. American TV shows suffer from this most, but we're getting there now as well.

Back