Netflix Sophie: A murder in West Cork

The Rat

Striker
Just listening to this, about the famous unsolved murder of Sophie Toscan du Plantier in West Ireland

Ex fleet-street journo Ian Bailey convicted in March of her murder in France, but Ireland refuse to send him as they don't think there is evidence for a prosecution

Death of Sophie Toscan du Plantier - Wikipedia

From Paris to west Cork and back: The story of the Sophie Toscan du ...https://www.irishtimes.com/.../from-paris-to-west-cork-and-back-the-story-of-the-sop...

Anyone followed this case or listened to the podcast? Any true crime fans I recommend it to. Its on audible app.

Torn on this one, no doubt Bailey could have done it, he was close enough, violent towards his partner, and a heavy drinker. But there is virtually no evidence and its just based on hearsay.

He is a weird bloke like no doubt

Its such a remote place that convinced it has to be someone living local at the time, but it would be a very easy murder to get away with.

Not sure it will ever be solved

2 documentaries out about this case now. Quite interesting. & laughable how the case was handled by the law here in Cork.
Watched the three part documentary on iplayer. Very interesting case mind. Didn't see the twist coming that Bailey was a suspect!

Htf do you manage to lose a set of bloodstained gates ffs? The poddie is brilliant, seen the Jim Sheridan series and enjoyed it, yet to see the Netflix one. Bailey is an extremely unsympathetic individual…but whether hes a murderer or not, only he knows (and his ex-missus i guess). Would love it to be resolved so the son and remaining family could have some closure.

Htf do you manage to lose a set of bloodstained gates ffs? The poddie is brilliant, seen the Jim Sheridan series and enjoyed it, yet to see the Netflix one. Bailey is an extremely unsympathetic individual…but whether hes a murderer or not, only he knows (and his ex-missus i guess). Would love it to be resolved so the son and remaining family could have some closure.
i've only watched netflix one but think same re Bailey.

Very interesting case. If Bailey was the killer then he's got the brassiest neck in the world still living and mooching around the community.
I've a feeling though that locally most don't think he did it - though the documentary wanted us to think otherwise.

Incredibly inept policing though.

We’ve watched both and it’s certainly a strange one . Bailey is an extremely unpleasant person but the investigation was so poorly done that you just can’t say with certainty that he was guilty.
I thought that in the sky documentary the Irish were very defensive about how it was all handled by the police which made me think that we’ve only seen hints about just how bad it was.

I watched the Netflix documentary and was staggered by how inept the lead investigator for the Garda was. He wouldn’t have looked out of place as a lead character in Father Ted and subtitles would have been helpful at times with his unintelligible accent. I think it would have been solved quite easily if it had been looked at by a competent police force. Can just imagine them tramping all over the murder site and eating their packed lunches

I watched the Netflix documentary and was staggered by how inept the lead investigator for the Garda was. He wouldn’t have looked out of place as a lead character in Father Ted and subtitles would have been helpful at times with his unintelligible accent. I think it would have been solved quite easily if it had been looked at by a competent police force. Can just imagine them tramping all over the murder site and eating their packed lunches
Like White House farm, Jeremy Bamber.
Bailey defo done it like

Watched the Netflix documentary and Bailey came across as a drunken misogynistic bully. The lass he was living with will know the truth but after he bust her eye socket I can’t see her rushing to grass him up.

That wifey from the shop who kept changing her story was another strange one. Why was she out at 3am in the first place.

I’ll have to try to catch up on the others but it will take a lot to convince me it wasn’t Bailey.

Aye, he was a f***ing disgrace him. How have they not got any of his DNA from the gate and thorns? Haha

Aye, he was a f***ing disgrace him. How have they not got any of his DNA from the gate and thorns? Haha

They lost a large metal gate with blood on it, the prime suspect's coat which he was potentially wearing on the night of the murder and multiple pages of investigation notes. Most of the time you'd assume this was something sinister but with these clowns it may well just be simple incompetence.

Back