Netflix Sophie: A murder in West Cork

I have only watched the Netflix doc, and on that he seems very much guilty.

I'll check out the other documentaries.

That’s the problem with most documentaries they miss out, whether on purpose or not, a lot of information that doesn’t fit what they are trying to push.

I think the bloke is a hideous human being but taking all information into account I don’t think he did it, but, we will never truly know I guess!

What is the best podcast to listen to on this?

There's one called The West Cork podcast but it's only 15 mins long and one episode.

I’ve watched the Netflix one and Bailey just seems weird. Why tell some people that he did it then pass it off as black humour. Seemingly the girlfriend Jules split up with him.
I’ve watched the Netflix one and Bailey just seems weird. Why tell some people that he did it then pass it off as black humour. Seemingly the girlfriend Jules split up with him.

oh and him burning a load of stuff in the days after it happening.

Last edited:
Did gardaí target Bailey to shield Sophie’s killer? By Gemma O’Doherty. - Village Magazine
I haven't watched all of the Sky one yet, so I'm not sure if it's even in it, but I've heard rumours of Sophie being murdered by a Guard.

Did gardaí target Bailey to shield Sophie’s killer? By Gemma O’Doherty. - Village Magazine

Interesting article that. Strange how none of this is mentioned in the Netflix documentary. It’s almost as if they are convinced that Bailey did it and have told the story from one side.

The podcast is more detailed and looks into the other possibilities but still focuses a lot of attention on Bailey. I suppose he doesn’t help himself since he is such a narcissistic attention seeker. The bit on the podcast where he is planning the scene of his own arrest in the car on the way to the courthouse is truly bizarre. The poor woman recording the podcast is heavily pregnant and all he is concerned about is her getting out of the car quickly so he can make an entrance!

Interesting article that. Strange how none of this is mentioned in the Netflix documentary. It’s almost as if they are convinced that Bailey did it and have told the story from one side.

The podcast is more detailed and looks into the other possibilities but still focuses a lot of attention on Bailey. I suppose he doesn’t help himself since he is such a narcissistic attention seeker. The bit on the podcast where he is planning the scene of his own arrest in the car on the way to the courthouse is truly bizarre. The poor woman recording the podcast is heavily pregnant and all he is concerned about is her getting out of the car quickly so he can make an entrance!
The podcast was brilliant. Much better than the tv show which, in fairness, was also very good.

TV show goes heavily against Ian Bailey, I finished watching that utterly convinced he did it. Now I suppose I still think he probably did it, but the Garda are a bunch of absolute wrong uns, horrendous nasty people and completely incompetent. Oh and don't forget corrupt. They ruined the case.

The podcast was brilliant. Much better than the tv show which, in fairness, was also very good.

TV show goes heavily against Ian Bailey, I finished watching that utterly convinced he did it. Now I suppose I still think he probably did it, but the Garda are a bunch of absolute wrong uns, horrendous nasty people and completely incompetent. Oh and don't forget corrupt. They ruined the case.

The Sky documentary 'Murder At The Cottage' directed by Jim Sheridan is more open minded regarding Bailey

Back