Netflix Sophie: A murder in West Cork

The podcast was brilliant. Much better than the tv show which, in fairness, was also very good.

TV show goes heavily against Ian Bailey, I finished watching that utterly convinced he did it. Now I suppose I still think he probably did it, but the Garda are a bunch of absolute wrong uns, horrendous nasty people and completely incompetent. Oh and don't forget corrupt. They ruined the case.
Yeah I was of the same opinion as you after watching the documentary. Listened to the podcast and it cast a lot of doubts. The Garda’s approach to policing was akin to my avatar

Interesting article that. Strange how none of this is mentioned in the Netflix documentary. It’s almost as if they are convinced that Bailey did it and have told the story from one side.

The podcast is more detailed and looks into the other possibilities but still focuses a lot of attention on Bailey. I suppose he doesn’t help himself since he is such a narcissistic attention seeker. The bit on the podcast where he is planning the scene of his own arrest in the car on the way to the courthouse is truly bizarre. The poor woman recording the podcast is heavily pregnant and all he is concerned about is her getting out of the car quickly so he can make an entrance!
The Netflix one is decent watch but it's pretty poor with regards to balance. It's probably just poorly researched but the fact that Sophie and her husband were in the film industry just makes me wonder if the family or friends were involved in prodction at some level.

Did gardaí target Bailey to shield Sophie’s killer? By Gemma O’Doherty. - Village Magazine

You can take anything gemma o Doherty says with a pinch of salt. She’s an absolute fruit loop, basically the Irish Katie Hopkins.
2 extremely deranged individuals in each other's company, here.

#concerning

Sinead O'Connor pictured having lunch with Ian Bailey in Cork
She’s writing for the Irish independent now, she’s had her troubles, calling her deranged is a little unfair.

Last edited:
You can take anything gemma o Doherty says with a pinch of salt. She’s an absolute fruit loop, basically the Irish Katie Hopkins.

She’s writing for the Irish independent now, she’s had her troubles, calling her deranged is a little unfair.

According to Bailey she was interested in putting his poems to music........

According to Bailey she was interested in putting his poems to music........

I think what you've got to take from that is "According to Bailey"
She's had plenty to say about it on Twitter since

Last edited:
What's she said like? I'd rather not stray into O'Connor territory on Twitter.
I cant remember most of it tbh, just saying how drunk he was. I don't know a whole lot about the Sophie case so just skimmed over it really.

She's actually very good on twitter, can be very funny. She was trying to sell her honda 50 on there recently!

Did gardaí target Bailey to shield Sophie’s killer? By Gemma O’Doherty. - Village Magazine

She's a f***ing moron.

I wasn't being serious.

Sky Crime documentary is far more balanced IMO. The Netflix one seems to be more of a hatchet job on Bailey but a financial contribution was made by Sophie's family towards the production of it so that has to be taken into account.

IMO - Marie Farrell and her mystery man are worth further investigation. Farrell has never named the man she was having an affair with on the night in question and has changed her story more times than her underwear. It would not surprise me if she was having an affair with a Garda.

It's in the public record that she received assistance with gaining a council house and various other things in exchange for falsifying her statement about seeing Bailey on the bridge.

Knowing rural Ireland as I do, the Gardai and locals would be more than happy to stitch an "outsider" up for something like this, especially someone like Bailey who is, by all accounts, a complete prick.

They lost a gate, Bailey's coat, it's laughable really. Like something out of Father Ted.

Bailey is an utter arse but you would want to have some set of bollocks to go on as he has for the last 15 years if he was guilty. You'd imagine he'd have been happy enough to have gotten away with it and leaving it at that rather than bringing cases against the Gardai and constantly protesting his innocence publicly at any given opportunity if he had done it.

My take was the lass from the shop probably did see Bailey but who was she with at 3 in the morning? A cop, perhaps? Did she ever say who it was? Maybe this is why the investigation was so badly done covering for one of their own?

My take was the lass from the shop probably did see Bailey but who was she with at 3 in the morning? A cop, perhaps? Did she ever say who it was? Maybe this is why the investigation was so badly done covering for one of their own?

She has never revealed who she was with that night.

She did however reveal that she was given a council house and numerous other benefits such as the abolishing of a driving without insurance conviction of her husband and several traffic offenses in her own name, for stating that the man she saw on the bridge was Bailey.

I agree, I think it's very plausible to think she was having an affair with a member of the Gardai.

How? Explain

This is plausible.

There was a blue fiesta seen fleeing the scene of the night/morning of the murder, a ‘ troubled ‘ copper who was involved in some dodgy stuff was known to drive a blue fiesta.

There’s a lot of information on Reddit from the podcasts and other documentaries etc that was left out of the sky documentary.

Bailey was a massive tosser but he didn’t kill this lass IMO.

A bump for this @Cult of Personality.

I've now watched the sky documentary. Certainly more balanced than the Netflix documentary and I'm more inclined to believe Bailey is innocent, although, as you say, a huge tosser to put it mildly

Back