Netflix shows that might slip through the net

jedi_toaster

Striker
As a lot of people on here use Netflix (4k, 4 screens £9.99 a month for me, thankyouverymuch), I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread recommending the more obscure stuff on there, with a ‘if you like this, try this...’ sort of format. Might die on it’s arse, but let’s give it a go....

If you like Gomorrah then I’d highly recommend giving ‘Suburra’ a try. It’s basically the same situation but in Rome. There’s also a film of the same name with ‘sort of’ the same characters, but it’s not as good as the series, which I loved.

If you like that, then ‘Marseille’ is shaping up to be a good one, the same political intrigue but with less mafia involvement, but there is some. (I’m only 3 episodes in, but it’s got me looking forward to getting home tonight to watch more)

Whilst not particularly obscure, ‘Mindhunter’ is starting to really draw me in by the 4th episode, but the missus hasn’t watched it so I have to stop and wait for her to catch up.

Any more, for any more?

As a lot of people on here use Netflix (4k, 4 screens £9.99 a month for me, thankyouverymuch), I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread recommending the more obscure stuff on there, with a ‘if you like this, try this...’ sort of format. Might die on it’s arse, but let’s give it a go....

If you like Gomorrah then I’d highly recommend giving ‘Suburra’ a try. It’s basically the same situation but in Rome. There’s also a film of the same name with ‘sort of’ the same characters, but it’s not as good as the series, which I loved.

If you like that, then ‘Marseille’ is shaping up to be a good one, the same political intrigue but with less mafia involvement, but there is some. (I’m only 3 episodes in, but it’s got me looking forward to getting home tonight to watch more)

Whilst not particularly obscure, ‘Mindhunter’ is starting to really draw me in by the 4th episode, but the missus hasn’t watched it so I have to stop and wait for her to catch up.

Any more, for any more?

Is the film you mention Suburra or Gomorrah?

Any more, for any more?
Spotted that Suburra, think it's new .Loved Gomorrah ,new series due
Spiral and Braquo are two older ones worth checking out
French cop stuff ,very violent

Suburra, mate. Like Gomorrah it was a film first, which inspired a series.
I like the sound of it. I've not seen the Gomorrah film, or read the book it was based on. But seen a few documentaries about the Camorrah and their far reaching influence in Naples. Seems like a grim place to live. Think the author of the Gomorrah book had to go into hiding after it was published due to a bounty on his head.

Any more, for any more?
Been looking for something new to watch on Netflix, ill give Suburra a go as I thought Gomorrah was brilliant, cheers

I like the sound of it. I've not seen the Gomorrah film, or read the book it was based on. But seen a few documentaries about the Camorrah and their far reaching influence in Naples. Seems like a grim place to live. Think the author of the Gomorrah book had to go into hiding after it was published due to a bounty on his head.
I read the book last year. It’s good, but nowt like the series. It’s about the business the camorrah operate in Naples, a lot about fashion production, and port fiddles. He had to leave the country after writing it I believe.

I read the book last year. It’s good, but nowt like the series. It’s about the business the camorrah operate in Naples, a lot about fashion production, and port fiddles. He had to leave the country after writing it I believe.
I read the book a few month ago, its a decent read, opens your eyes in to how corrupt it is over there

This is good viewing

Was on the bbc about 5 or 6 years ago.

Edit. It's called Camorra: Italy's Bloodiest Mafia.
One of my good friends is involved in it mate, I know it first hand. He moved back to Napoli a few years ago and keeps inviting me over to stay with him, but his lifestyle terrifies me if I’m honest. He was only in the UK because an armed robbery went tits up and he had to be away on his toes. Probably why I’m so fascinated by this type of film/series.

Any more, for any more?
Don't think it's on Netflix but Romanzo Criminale is similar to both Gomorrah and Suburra.

In a similar vein and on Netflix is Cannabis. This time set in France but a canny watch.

Any more, for any more?
Out of interest mate where do you live?

Any more, for any more?

Mindhunter's OK. I've watched it all. Not mind-alteringly good but watchable.

Not sure which of these picks of mine are "obscure". After all, one person's obscure is another person's can't-miss-TV. In no particular order...

Real Rob - worth a watch. Rob Schneider as himself in a comedy-fictionalisation of his real life.
Master Of None - Aziz Ansari (Parks & Rec) doing pretty much the same show concept as Real Rob.
The Good Place - enjoyable new comedy about someone (Veronica Mars) who dies and goes to "the good place" but quickly realises she shouldn't be there. With Ted Danson.
Jane The Virgin - telenovella-style comedy-drama about a virgin who gets accidentally artificially inseminated and gets pregnant. Over the top ridiculousness, death etc. ensues.
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - comedy musical. Sounds like a crap girly premise but it's actually quite good.
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - absurd comedy about a young woman who's been stuck in a nuclear shelter with a religious nutter for half of her life, trying to adjust to reality.
Soul Mates - Superb sitcom/sketch show about 2 guys that have been friends in previous lives. Set in 4 eras - future time travel shop, modern hipsters, 70's cops/agents, cavemen.
Ozark - Jason Bateman (Arrested Development) as a cartel money-launderer who's in the crap. A bit Breaking Bad-like. Drama with bits of humour.
Blue Mountain State - American Football jocks being dicks to each other in a sports frat comedy. But it's so much more than the crappy premise suggests. 3 seasons and a movie!
Power - Breaking Bad in a nightclub meets the sex content of Game Of Thrones. Executive Producer is 'Fiddy' Cent iirc but don't hold that against it.

Others which are probably less obscure but are on Netflix and worth watching...

Suits - superb legal drama but mostly about the characters rather than the cases.
Detectorists - British dramedy about a couple of guys who go out metal detecting. Lighthearted, easy-paced, quite touching at times.
Designated Survivor - Kiefer Sutherland in a kind of West Wing lite meets 24 lite sort of show. Not earth-shatteringly amazing or anything, but nice to see him working.
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia - outrageous antics of a group of young people who own a bar, and later Danny De Vito. Much more amazing than the premise suggests.

Last edited:
Mindhunter's OK. I've watched it all. Not mind-alteringly good but watchable.

Not sure which of these picks of mine are "obscure". After all, one person's obscure is another person's can't-miss-TV. In no particular order...

Real Rob - worth a watch. Turned it off after 20 minutes Rob Schneider as himself in a comedy-fictionalisation of his real life.
Master Of None - Yeah, really enjoyed. Aziz Ansari (Parks & Rec) doing pretty much the same show concept as Real Rob.
The Good Place - enjoyable new comedy about someone who dies and goes to "the good place" but quickly realises she shouldn't be there. With Ted Danson.
Jane The Virgin - telenovella-style comedy-drama about a virgin who gets accidentally artificially inseminated and gets pregnant. Over the top ridiculousness, death etc. ensues.
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - comedy musical. Sounds like a crap girly premise but it's actually quite good.
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - absurd comedy about a young woman who's been stuck in a nuclear shelter with a religious nutter for half of her life, trying to adjust to reality.
Soul Mates - Superb sitcom/sketch show about 2 guys that have been friends in previous lives. Set in 4 eras - future time travel shop, modern hipsters, 70's cops/agents, cavemen.
Ozark - Fantastic. Jason Bateman (Arrested Development) as a cartel money-launderer who's in the crap. A bit Breaking Bad-like. Drama with bits of humour.
Blue Mountain State - Loved it.American Football jocks being dicks to each other in a sports frat comedy. But it's so much more than the crappy premise suggests. 3 seasons and a movie!
Power - Shite. 2 dimensional shite. Breaking Bad in a nightclub meets the sex content of Game Of Thrones. Executive Producer is 'Fiddy' Cent iirc but don't hold that against it.

Others which are probably less obscure but are on Netflix and worth watching...

Suits - superb legal drama but mostly about the characters rather than the cases.
Detectorists - Yep, perfect series really. British dramedy about a couple of guys who go out metal detecting. Lighthearted, easy-paced, quite touching at times.
Designated Survivor - Kiefer Sutherland in a kind of West Wing lite meets 24 lite sort of show. Not earth-shatteringly amazing or anything, but nice to see him working.
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia - Great, but last season was pretty bobbins. outrageous antics of a group of young people who own a bar, and later Danny De Vito. Much more amazing than the premise suggests.

Looks like we’re not too far apart in our tastes, mate.

Wey you've got four 4K teles mate. You going on holiday any time soon?
Ha. I’ve got one 4K telly, and a load of 1080p ones. They’re all insured though, so help yourself. Don’t worry about the Rottweiler, he looks nails but he’s an autistic mess of a dog, really.

Looks like we’re not too far apart in our tastes, mate.

In that case I'd recommend you give Soul Mates a try. There are only 6 episodes but it's one of the most imaginative comedies I've seen in some time.

Oh another one I forgot:

Rake - Australian drama about an alcoholic barrister. Has elements of Californication in it once it gets going. I'd never heard of it until I tried it. Really enjoyed it.

I tried The Good Place and it got on my nerves after a few episodes.

I'm eagerly awaiting Alias Grace - an adaptation of the Margaret Attwood novel which starts on Nov 3rd. If it's anywhere near as good as The Handmaid's Tale I'll be happy.

Some decent documentaries too - Long Shot, The Keepers, Team Foxhunter.

Back