Netflix Documentary Thread

The Staircase is next for me!
Just finished, really interesting to see it play out. I was already aware of the case and some of the twists and turns. And it was groundbreaking when the original episodes were filmed - in fact I read that the Making a Murderer people went to the Staircase director for advice on putting episodes together.

Also seems like there's Making A Murderer 2 - but it seems to be suggested that it's a continuation of the original rather than a new case.

Just finished, really interesting to see it play out. I was already aware of the case and some of the twists and turns. And it was groundbreaking when the original episodes were filmed - in fact I read that the Making a Murderer people went to the Staircase director for advice on putting episodes together.

Also seems like there's Making A Murderer 2 - but it seems to be suggested that it's a continuation of the original rather than a new case.
Saw a clip about ‘The Owl Theory’ on YouTube.
Peaked my interest!

The owl theory makes some sense to me, but I don't know if we ever found out if the door outside was open or not. You'd think it would be open because an owl would have attacked her from the outside and she'd have run inside if she was disoriented and a bit drunk/high on valium. If that's the case, why hasn't Michael heard her? On top of that, I've read that one of the claw shaped lacerations on her head wasn't consistent with an owl, but with a chicken. From that point on, I had a hard time believing an owl did it.

I think he did it, and he did it because she found out about his bisexual lifestyle, and he was spending her money on hookers when they were in debt and she was about to be fired from Nortel. I think he snapped and smashed her head in. We'll never know for sure though. Fascinating!

The owl theory makes some sense to me, but I don't know if we ever found out if the door outside was open or not. You'd think it would be open because an owl would have attacked her from the outside and she'd have run inside if she was disoriented and a bit drunk/high on valium. If that's the case, why hasn't Michael heard her? On top of that, I've read that one of the claw shaped lacerations on her head wasn't consistent with an owl, but with a chicken. From that point on, I had a hard time believing an owl did it.

I think he did it, and he did it because she found out about his bisexual lifestyle, and he was spending her money on hookers when they were in debt and she was about to be fired from Nortel. I think he snapped and smashed her head in. We'll never know for sure though. Fascinating!
I watched through the whole documentary and never once did I have the remotest suspicion of him. I am aware the way it was filmed could have a huge influence on the viewers opinion, but I think it showed enough of him kind of ‘off-camera’ to form a bit of an opinion about him, and I actually thought he seemed like a really nice bloke who had life and love pretty much figured out. I didn’t believe that anyone could have been bludgeoned to death in that small space without the weapon leaving huge cast-off blood stains, and even taking chunks out of the surrounding architecture. After watching Making a Murderer I was a lot more unsure of what I’d seen, and I thought there was a huge amount of suspicion that remained, whereas with this one I was absolutely convinced of the man’s innocence, and I was sad that it cost him so much of his life.

I watched through the whole documentary and never once did I have the remotest suspicion of him. I am aware the way it was filmed could have a huge influence on the viewers opinion, but I think it showed enough of him kind of ‘off-camera’ to form a bit of an opinion about him, and I actually thought he seemed like a really nice bloke who had life and love pretty much figured out. I didn’t believe that anyone could have been bludgeoned to death in that small space without the weapon leaving huge cast-off blood stains, and even taking chunks out of the surrounding architecture. After watching Making a Murderer I was a lot more unsure of what I’d seen, and I thought there was a huge amount of suspicion that remained, whereas with this one I was absolutely convinced of the man’s innocence, and I was sad that it cost him so much of his life.

haway man they were dodgy as hell, as if that pipe had been in that position in the garage for months and no one ( including the police ) had seen it :lol:

his son was smug bastard n all

haway man they were dodgy as hell, as if that pipe had been in that position in the garage for months and no one ( including the police ) had seen it :lol:

his son was smug bastard n all
Did you not watch the episode where they discovered the police had found that pole and put it in the garage? As if you could have beat someone to death with that thing in such a cramped place and not taken chunks out of the walls and ceiling.

Did you not watch the episode where they discovered the police had found that pole and put it in the garage? As if you could have beat someone to death with that thing in such a cramped place and not taken chunks out of the walls and ceiling.

Also the bit about in ALL 279 beatings to death in the state in the.previous 12 years, the victims ALL had either a fractured skull or a brain haemorrhage, she had neither. The thing they claimed he beat her to death with was a thin hollow pipe. Also if he beat her to death as they suggested why did she have so much blood on the souls of her socks as if she'd slipped in her blood. Thought they would've made more of that tbh.

Some good recommendations on here for my next binge

Last edited:
Watched a couple recently and enjoyed them both:

Brothers Keeper, about 4 old uneducated American farmer brothers. After the death of one of them, another is accused of their murder. An old one (1992) but well made and quite sad.

The Witness, reconstructing the unsolved 1964 murder of a women in New York. Supposedly tons of witness who heard/saw but did nothing to help. Her young brother re-examines the case decades later.

Also the bit about in ALL 279 beatings to death in the state in the.previous 12 years, the victims ALL had either a fractured skull or a brain haemorrhage, she had neither. The thing they claimed he beat her to death with was a thin hollow pipe. Also if he beat her to death as they suggested why did she have so much blood on the souls of her socks as if she'd slipped in her blood. Thought they would've made more of that tbh.

Some good recommendations on here for my next binge
Neither side makes sense to me. If she was beaten, she should have a fractured skull or more brain trauma like you say. But, does a fall down the stairs really lead to six deep lacerations on someone's head? I don't think so.

Neither side makes sense to me, which is why it's such a great story.

Back