Nesting birds taking up Nest Boxes

What a lovely surprise today. Been watching a pair of Nuthatches going in and out a nest box I built last year. The Blue Tits and Great Tits are already selecting suitable homes.
Little things to cheer you up.
Mind you the Barn Owl box has a pair of Jackdaws throwing sticks into the entrance.
Finished off a Tawny Owl box yesterday and located a suitable tree. Just need my Mate to pull up the rope and hold the ladder and will put it in place, unfortunately I am a little late with this one, however could hear one the other night in the surrounding trees.
Cut the grass and in between listened to the chorus of so many different varieties.
Just a lift today from nature to help me on my way.
Love watching a pair of tits in the morning

would a heron feed at night ? The youth was up until 4am the other morning and saw something move in the garden. Looked out and reckons a huge bird took off , wingspan bigger than the dog ( labradoodle). Can only think it might have been a heron looking for ponds but we don't have one

There is a Heron called a Night Heron that nested in the UK for the first time in 2017. They feed at night and are very rare in Britain. Maybe it was one of those.
I was up at 3am this morning, with the Super Moon it was bright as day (almost) and loads of birds were singing. Seen a bat anarl, first one this year.

Last edited:
There is a Heron called a Night Heron that nested in the UK for the first time in 2017. They feed at night and are very rare in Britain. Maybe it was one of those.
I was up at 3am this morning, with the Super Moon it was bright as day (almost) and loads of birds were singing. Seen a bat anarl, first one this year.
We’ve had a bat flitting round the back garden at dusk for a couple of weeks now. Love watching them.

Spot on.
I just love watching them from my window.
The feeders and bird table packed with them. The Migratory Warblers will soon be here and the Chiff Chaff, Black Cap and Willow Warbler with their distinctive song only weeks away. We currently have a tame Male Pheasant that visits a few times a day. Sits under the feeders waiting for sunflower kernels dropping down.
The dog growling as he struts up and down the lawn.
Magical watching and listening to them.
I have two issues - I’m not a twitcher so I can’t tell one bird from another. Apart from the obvious like seagulls and eagles.

I have a wood pigeon outside my house and it wakes me up everyday. As Jackie charlton said - “them pigeons is draivin me maird “ but in an eshingturn accent

I have two issues - I’m not a twitcher so I can’t tell one bird from another. Apart from the obvious like seagulls and eagles.

I have a wood pigeon outside my house and it wakes me up everyday. As Jackie charlton said - “them pigeons is draivin me maird “ but in an eshingturn accent

We have a tame Pheasant that does the same :)

Gulls, they're gulls not seagulls.

There is a pair of sparrow hawks knocking about in our garden.seen a pigeon and a blackbird dead in the last week ,god knows what smaller birds they have took.
The male was sitting hiding on top of the wall looking along the fence where the feeders are earlier today.

The trees haven't half sprouted mind. The mag nest in the back is huge too.

The feeder out the front seems to be getting crows and blackbirds more than the usual blue or great tits.

No house martin warbling yet either.

its the collective name for a family of the laridae herring full etc is it not or am I a lemon meringue tartiflette
Nor, still Gulls, what about Terns? Seaterns, or pigeons, landpigeons?
I think I saw a cuckoo today. At first I thought it was a Sparrow Hawk as the small birds in my garden started going nuts and when I looked up it looked like a Sparrow Hawk circling. But then I noticed it wasn't gliding, it was flapping its wings all the time and come to think of it I'd never seen a Spuggy Hawk circling before, they usually hide in the hedges for a sneak attack. It gradually moved off and never came down low enough to get a proper look but from the way it was flying it didn't look like a Spuggy Hawk.

Last edited:
A couple of swans nesting at the side of the river. Saw a mother duck with 6 tiny little ducklings paddling like crazy to keep up with her. And for the 3rd day running saw a crow mobbing a buzzard. Lovely clear skies make it all so much sharper.

Oh and heard from the local residents association that someone nicked the Harris hawk that was hired to scare off the gulls. Lured it away and took its tracker off. Luckily the bloke somehow managed to get it back.

Back